Archived Topic

So...No announcment today at 4?

by Cougarpoke · 10/5/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougarpoke
It appears that all the rumors there was a presser scheduled today at 4 to announce BYU to B12 were bogus? Or is the situation that fluid that there was a presser, now there isn't, blah blah blah? Anyone have any better rumors?
D
Dcr36
Cougarpoke wrote:
It appears that all the rumors there was a presser scheduled today at 4 to announce BYU to B12 were bogus? Or is the situation that fluid that there was a presser, now there isn't, blah blah blah? Anyone have any better rumors?


Pretty sure the 4PM announcement gained traction due to the echo chamber. I don't know where it came from, but I question if it was ever valid and I certainly doubt it's going to happen now.



I still feel a modest degree of confidence this is going to play out well for BYU, but I think us speculators need to readjust our timeframe. This is gonna take some time to work out.
F
frdbtr
The presser that the media didn't even know about. No one in the media reported that a press conference had been called. There never was anything. When a presser has been called, it will be all over everywhere. When someone on a message board says that a presser has been called and no one in the media is reporting it, it is a bogus rumor.
B
BerliNY
[shocked]
L
Lawboy
IT will happen, just no idea when. No clue where the 4pm Press conference from today came from. And to be honest, I think BYU saw this coming, which is why Pres. Samuelson told fans to not hold their breaths for risk of turning blue in the face.



I do wonder why Missou waited until now do do this when they could have done it while OU postured. Why try to hold a league together that you seem set on leaving? Seriously, what was their hold up, unless this is for more leverage on Texas. You do not do this to avoid looking the bad guy, because handling it this way just makes them look inept and desperate.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
Lawboy wrote:
IT will happen, just no idea when. No clue where the 4pm Press conference from today came from. And to be honest, I think BYU saw this coming, which is why Pres. Samuelson told fans to not hold their breaths for risk of turning blue in the face.



I do wonder why Missou waited until now do do this when they could have done it while OU postured. Why try to hold a league together that you seem set on leaving? Seriously, what was their hold up, unless this is for more leverage on Texas. You do not do this to avoid looking the bad guy, because handling it this way just makes them look inept and desperate.


i think it came from shep on 700.



missouri always wanted out in my opinion. they were acting like they wanted to save it but really they were hoping it result in them going sec. i am certain that sec has said yes and they are going. i will be shocked if they stay.



the only explanation is that they are trying to get texas to agree to the 13 year tv deal or they are being stupid and demanding lhn restraints that they know they can't get. my guess is they want out and they are trying to make texas look like the bad guys again, blaming it on the lhn.
G
Guest
It is like the 2nd coming. Absolutely no one knows when this is coming and you're wise to smile and nod when someone tells you when it is going to happen, knowing full well that no one who knows whats really happening behind the scenes is talking.
M
Mingjai
jonnylingo wrote:
missouri always wanted out in my opinion. they were acting like they wanted to save it but really they were hoping it result in them going sec. i am certain that sec has said yes and they are going. i will be shocked if they stay.



the only explanation is that they are trying to get texas to agree to the 13 year tv deal or they are being stupid and demanding lhn restraints that they know they can't get. my guess is they want out and they are trying to make texas look like the bad guys again, blaming it on the lhn.


I think some of the reason that Mizzou is drawing the process out is that they really want in to the Big 10--they've long been vocal about wanting in and felt snubbed when Nebraska get the invite instead of them. I get the feeling that they'd rather be among who they perceive to be their academic peers in the Big 10 than be amongst schools more known for their tailgating than their academics. From a football standpoint, Mizzou could immediately be an mid- to upper-tier team in the Big Ten while they'd most likely be a mid- to lower-tier team in the SEC. But the problem is the Big Ten doesn't want them, so it's almost like they're using the SEC to get the Big Ten to come around.



At any rate, I think the Big XII appears to be stable and ready to move on with or without Mizzou, so I don't see why BYU shouldn't receive and accept an offer fairly soon. The real question is how many more schools does the Big XII need to add.
C
cougarsunited
Anybody have an idea what a move to the BIg 12 would mean to out contract with ESPN?
G
Gunk
hawkwing wrote:
It is like the 2nd coming. Absolutely no one knows when this is coming and you're wise to smile and nod when someone tells you when it is going to happen, knowing full well that no one who knows whats really happening behind the scenes is talking.


Like a thief in the night...or maybe Santa Claus in this case.
Advertisement
C
Cougarpoke
While home from lunch I quickly glanced at the other board. They sure have a collection of alarmists. At any rate, there were a good number of posts regarding recent tweets from Chip Brown saying BYU is the first choice and for all intents and purposes is in...just waiting for official invite. Some of the tweets and posts even went so far as to say BYU will be accpeted soon, regardless of what MO does. It sounded like it should happen within the next coming weeks to month.



I am not surprised by this. My opinion, for what it is worth, is in total accord with the sentiment that the B12 invite BYU and other schools regardless of MO. Why not be proactive in expanding, if MO stays, then great, if not, then deal with it later, but at least you have a plan in place. It would also make sense to act sooner rather than later so as to ensure next season can be worked out with schedules, etc.
L
Lawboy
Personally, I think MIzzou wants no part of the SEC. None at all. But I do think that they want the Big 10, and they basically want to let the Big 10 know they are on the market now, so to come get them now, or else they sign a 13-year agreement and are off the market fora long, long time. IF the Big 10 does not call, they stay.
S
scott715
Wrong, there is a meeting but not for the press. It is in Adam-ondi-Ahman in MO. And our lesson on Sunday is on the 2nd coming.
B
blue42
I think it is a press conference to announce they are not having a press conference at 4pm.
Y
Y 4 Ever
Cougarpoke wrote:
While home from lunch I quickly glanced at the other board. They sure have a collection of alarmists. At any rate, there were a good number of posts regarding recent tweets from Chip Brown saying BYU is the first choice and for all intents and purposes is in...just waiting for official invite. Some of the tweets and posts even went so far as to say BYU will be accpeted soon, regardless of what MO does. It sounded like it should happen within the next coming weeks to month.



I am not surprised by this. My opinion, for what it is worth, is in total accord with the sentiment that the B12 invite BYU and other schools regardless of MO. Why not be proactive in expanding, if MO stays, then great, if not, then deal with it later, but at least you have a plan in place. It would also make sense to act sooner rather than later so as to ensure next season can be worked out with schedules, etc.


I'm not so sure about this. BYU wants stability (as would most teams considering leaving a decent situation). The way you guarantee stability is to sign the Grant of Rights agreement. Until that happens, I don't see BYU making the jump (and if I were Holmoe or C.S., that's what I would do too). And I also don't see 8 conference members signing the agreement while Missouri holds out. I'm thinking this could be a long, long wait while they sort through this mess. I'll be surprised if its resolved before the end of the season.
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
Lawboy wrote:
Personally, I think MIzzou wants no part of the SEC. None at all. But I do think that they want the Big 10, and they basically want to let the Big 10 know they are on the market now, so to come get them now, or else they sign a 13-year agreement and are off the market fora long, long time. IF the Big 10 does not call, they stay.


I like this idea.



But the timing stinks of a purposeful delay since they could have done this at any time. There doesn't seem to be more concessions to get so what do they have to gain from NOT signing that Big 12 document? Does the SEC need more time? The Big-10? Sounds like a lot of mirrors with nothing behind it to me.



And as chairman of the Big 12, you'd think that if Missouri didn't want the Tier 1 and Tier 2 TV agreement in the first place, they could have found a way to keep it off the table.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.