Archived Topic

Would this work?

by BYULV · 10/5/2011

Advertisement
B
BYULV
Start Heaps Saturday and bring Riley in every time we get into the Red (Blue) zone. Heaps has done a pretty good job moving us downfield, but can't get the ball in the end zone. Riley's strengths are perfectly suited for a red zone type offense and there isn't a throw he can't make in that shortened field. Defenses have to prepare for both QBs and they can't expose their weaknesses as easily.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
tww
BYULV wrote:
Start Heaps Saturday and bring Riley in every time we get into the Red (Blue) zone. Heaps has done a pretty good job moving us downfield, but can't get the ball in the end zone. Riley's strengths are perfectly suited for a red zone type offense and there isn't a throw he can't make in that shortened field. Defenses have to prepare for both QBs and they can't expose their weaknesses as easily.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




That sounds like a good plan to me. It would force defenses to do things that they would prefer not to do.
C
Cougarbib
It might work, but right now Riley moves the ball down the field better than Jake does. He got us in scoring territory on every drive iirc. We missed a long field goal, and fumbled, and scored a couple of TDs. Putting Jake in would be like tying Riley's arm behind his back and saying get er done.



I would put Jake in any time we need an overthrown, dropped, or errant pass - probably gonna get one because the d will pin back their ears and come after him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BYULV
I agree Riley was able to move the ball against USU, but his play selection was not highly varied and I think a team that takes away 2-3 of his bread and butter plays will be successful at keeping him from moving down the field as easily. Hopefully he will come out this Saturday and run the full playbook with success, but I am still skeptical he can get it done full time. I was impressed with Riley against USU and I think he was significantly better than anytime last year. Either way, I want BYU to win and not just barely.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Of course we should be concerned with Riley being able to use the whole offense, because the whole offense has never been available to him. This could potentially the first week where the entire game plan has actually been tailored to Riley. He should be getting more reps this week than he's ever had.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
BYULV wrote:
I agree Riley was able to move the ball against USU, but his play selection was not highly varied and I think a team that takes away 2-3 of his bread and butter plays will be successful at keeping him from moving down the field as easily. Hopefully he will come out this Saturday and run the full playbook with success, but I am still skeptical he can get it done full time. I was impressed with Riley against USU and I think he was significantly better than anytime last year. Either way, I want BYU to win and not just barely.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

So, if we barely win, but Riley posts a 136 after 1 interception and we win say 27-24 - close because of ST mistakes and a fumble or two - but Riley benefits from a great catch or tipped pass caught for TD - will you celebrate the win and look for continued improvement, or start wanting to try someone else?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
BYULV wrote:
I agree Riley was able to move the ball against USU, but his play selection was not highly varied and I think a team that takes away 2-3 of his bread and butter plays will be successful at keeping him from moving down the field as easily. Hopefully he will come out this Saturday and run the full playbook with success, but I am still skeptical he can get it done full time. I was impressed with Riley against USU and I think he was significantly better than anytime last year. Either way, I want BYU to win and not just barely.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I know I'm getting annoying with all the mirror comments, but couldn't you say that all teams need to do is take away 2-3 of Heaps bread and butter plays? But I don't know what plays those would be, I haven't seen him make ANY plays consistently enough to focus on. Heaps has really made it easy on other teams by not making them pay when they get aggressive.
B
Ball4
I think you should start them both in the backfield. With our center not knowing how to snap the ball, it might be better in the long run. Whomever gets the ball gets to run the play. Teams wouldn't know who to guard. :crazy:
R
redneckjedi
Ball4 wrote:
I think you should start them both in the backfield. With our center not knowing how to snap the ball, it might be better in the long run. Whomever gets the ball gets to run the play. Teams wouldn't know who to guard. :crazy:


You jest, but why not use Riley in the RB rotation every once in a while? Run a toss to him a couple times, and then have him throw from the same play a little later. Or stick him in the slot and have him in motion for a fake fly sweep, just to mess with people. It wouldn't be the craziest thing I've ever seen...
I
IowaCougar
Ball4 wrote:
I think you should start them both in the backfield. With our center not knowing how to snap the ball, it might be better in the long run. Whomever gets the ball gets to run the play. Teams wouldn't know who to guard. :crazy:


A true 2-QB system! I love it! Just put Riley in as a running back in the shotgun, and the center can choose who to snap it to! :P
Advertisement
B
BYULV
declocoug wrote:
I agree Riley was able to move the ball against USU, but his play selection was not highly varied and I think a team that takes away 2-3 of his bread and butter plays will be successful at keeping him from moving down the field as easily. Hopefully he will come out this Saturday and run the full playbook with success, but I am still skeptical he can get it done full time. I was impressed with Riley against USU and I think he was significantly better than anytime last year. Either way, I want BYU to win and not just barely.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I know I'm getting annoying with all the mirror comments, but couldn't you say that all teams need to do is take away 2-3 of Heaps bread and butter plays? But I don't know what plays those would be, I haven't seen him make ANY plays consistently enough to focus on. Heaps has really made it easy on other teams by not making them pay when they get aggressive.




I guess I'm just tired of mediocrioty at the QB position. Both of these guys have had enough time to do great things and we have only seen glimpses. If either one overcomes their mediocrity then I would expect them to be able to still get the job done when their bread and butter plays are taken away or not working. I want these guys to step up and be men already. I see potential in both of them, but come on already, blow someone out! I don't care if its Heaps, Riley, Lark, Munns or Jacobson's little sister, just get it done already.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.