Archived Topic

Holy SEC bias!

by SpiffCoug · 10/4/2011

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I know it's not related to any topic of the last four days, but I just noticed that Auburn was #15 in the most recent AP poll.



I get they're 4-1 and just be a South Carolina team on the road that was #10. But Auburn wasn't even ranked last week. (They were 28th if you extended it that far.) They got very lucky in their first two wins. They went from having 25 vote points to having 550 in one week.



That's a huge jump for any team. But I guess voters forgot about their other three wins (vs 1-3 USU, 2-3 Miss St & 0-4 Florida Atlantic) and focused only on their most recent win. You see this kind of movement early in the polls, we shouldn't see it in the middle of the year.
Y
Y 4 Ever
Not that I don't agree with you about the SEC bias.



But someone explain to me how Texas is a top 10 team.



It's not JUST an SEC bias.
K
KYCoug
Half their 4 wins were against ranked teams. Yes, Miss St was ranked when Auburn played them. Their only loss is a road loss to a top 10 team. They are the defending National Champions.

Yes the Utah State game was an opening day stinker and yes, maybe 28 to 15 is a big bounce but in the long run it won't matter because either they win their next 3 games against #10 Arkansas, #17 Florida, and #1 LSU and justify their ranking or they get bounced from the rankings, and don't want to hear about the SEC not playing anyone outside their conference with LSU wins over Oregon and WV and Alabama over Penn St.
S
SpiffCoug
Y 4 Ever wrote:
Not that I don't agree with you about the SEC bias.



But someone explain to me how Texas is a top 10 team.



It's not JUST an SEC bias.

Thankfully Texas is #11. ;)
B
byufan4ever
So, I do my own ranking of all 120 teams each week. I start off with a pre-season ranking using a number of high profile national magazines as well as a website that compiles rankings (mostly computer based) from lots of different sources. From there I divide the teams up into tiers (Top 5, 10, 15, 25, 50, 100) and then I track in Excel the results of each game. I take into account both how good a team was the week the game was played as well as how good the team currently is. So, the "starting point" for each team is very subjective (although I try to combat that by averaging numerous preseason rankings), but the weekly results are very objective since I apply the same to every single team and game played. My forumula is heavy on SOS with a little bit of Margin of Victory. Through the first 5 weeks:



Rank College Record

1 Alabama 5-0

2 LSU 5-0

3 Oklahoma 4-0

4 Boise St. 4-0

5 Oklahoma St. 4-0

6 Clemson 5-0

7 Wisconsin 5-0

8 Stanford 4-0

9 Texas 4-0

10 Oregon 3-1

11 Michigan 5-0

12 Arkansas 4-1

13 Florida 4-1

14 Georgia Tech 5-0

15 Illinois 5-0

16 West Virginia 4-1

17 Virginia Tech 4-1

18 Nebraska 4-1

19 Auburn 4-1

20 Arizona St. 4-1

21 Houston 5-0

22 South Carolina 4-1

23 Kansas St. 4-0

24 Penn St. 4-1

25 Texas Tech 4-0

26 Washington 4-1

27 USC 4-1

28 Texas A&M 2-2

29 Georgia 3-2

30 North Carolina 4-1

31 Florida St. 2-2

32 LA Lafayette 4-1

33 Baylor 3-1

34 SMU 4-1

35 Tennessee 3-1

36 Notre Dame 3-2

37 Vanderbilt 3-1

38 Michigan St. 4-1

39 Iowa St. 3-1

40 San Diego St. 3-1

41 Missouri 2-2

42 Wyoming 3-1

43 Rutgers 3-1

44 South Florida 4-1

45 Tulsa 2-3

46 Cincinnati 4-1

47 Southern Miss 4-1

48 Iowa 3-1

49 Ball St. 3-2

50 California 3-1

51 TCU 3-2

52 Washington St. 3-1

53 Ohio 4-1

54 Miami (FL) 2-2

55 Air Force 3-1

56 Wake Forest 3-1

57 Ohio St. 3-2

58 W. Michigan 3-2

59 Mississippi St. 2-3

60 Arkansas St. 3-2

61 BYU 3-2

62 Pittsburgh 3-2

63 Navy 2-2

64 Utah 2-2

65 Florida Intl. 3-2

66 Troy 2-2

67 Syracuse 3-2

68 Kentucky 2-3

69 Temple 3-2

70 Nevada 1-3

71 Bowling Green 3-2

72 Toledo 2-3

73 Maryland 2-2

74 Kansas 2-2

75 Northwestern 2-2

76 UCF 2-2

77 East Michigan 3-2

78 UCLA 2-3

79 Duke 3-2

80 Louisville 2-2

81 Marshall 2-3

82 Virginia 3-2

83 Arizona 1-4

84 Hawaii 3-2

85 East Carolina 1-3

86 UTEP 2-3

87 Mississippi 2-3

88 Colorado St. 3-2

89 Purdue 2-2

90 Fresno St. 2-3

91 Connecticut 2-3

92 San Jose St. 2-3

93 Rice 1-3

94 Army 2-3

95 Northern Illinois 2-3

96 Utah St. 1-3

97 N.C. State 2-3

98 LA Monroe 1-3

99 Florida Atlantic 0-4

100 New Mexico St. 2-3

101 Middle Tenn. St. 1-3

102 Louisiana Tech 1-4

103 Kent St. 1-4

104 Colorado 1-4

105 Cent. Michigan 2-3

106 Indiana 1-4

107 North Texas 1-4

108 Idaho 1-4

109 Boston Coll. 1-4

110 Minnesota 1-4

111 Oregon St. 0-4

112 Tulane 2-3

113 Buffalo 1-4

114 UAB 0-4

115 UNLV 1-3

116 Akron 1-4

117 Miami (OH) 0-4

118 Memphis 1-4

119 New Mexico 0-5

120 West. Kentucky 0-4
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Texas deserves their ranking. They are extremely talented and have finally put it together on O with the right QB mix. They hung a big # on UCLA, then smoked Iowa State at their place, and Iowa State is a good team this year. And fact is, if we played Texas this Saturday, they would beat the hell out of us. Texas has continued to improve each week. We have not. We are fortunate to be 3-2. They will give OU a great game this weekend. Watch and see.
B
byufan4ever
So, "I" have Auburn at #19. Why do they "deserve" a #19 ranking? (all rankings are MY rankings)



Preseason Ranking - 28

Beat Utah St. by 4 - #102 at the time, #96 now

Beat Mississippi St. by 7 - #21 at the time, #59 now

Lost to Clemson by 14 - #38 at the time, #6 now

Beat Florida Atlantic by 16 - #93 at the time, #99 now

Beat South Carolina by 6 - #7 at the time



I think that if you look at it like that then a #19 ranking is not too much of stretch.



Now Texas.



Preseason Ranking - 27

Beat Rice by 25 - #97 at the time, #93 now

Beat BYU by 1 - #27 at the time, #61 now

Beat UCLA by 29 - #81 at the time, #78 now

Bye Week

Beat Iowa St. by 23 - #28 at the time



And I have Texas at #9. No ranked opponents, but BYU and Iowa St. were close to being ranked at the time.
S
scott715
What, you don't have the Y at #1? Where is your bias?
G
Guest
Honestly, going off how we've played so far, BYU is probably overrated. Seems like we're more fit for the 80-90 range. I hope for that to change with a fresh QB, but BYU has to prove it to me before I will just expect it.
B
byufan4ever
hawkwing wrote:
Honestly, going off how we've played so far, BYU is probably overrated. Seems like we're more fit for the 80-90 range. I hope for that to change with a fresh QB, but BYU has to prove it to me before I will just expect it.


For me, this is exactly why I do the rankings. It takes the "feeling" out of it. It works the other way too. In years past we've been rolling and feeling good about ourselves and complain about not being ranked high enough and my rankings will help me know when the blue goggles are on too tight.
Advertisement
G
Guest
byufan4ever wrote:
Honestly, going off how we've played so far, BYU is probably overrated. Seems like we're more fit for the 80-90 range. I hope for that to change with a fresh QB, but BYU has to prove it to me before I will just expect it.


For me, this is exactly why I do the rankings. It takes the "feeling" out of it. It works the other way too. In years past we've been rolling and feeling good about ourselves and complain about not being ranked high enough and my rankings will help me know when the blue goggles are on too tight.


But the rankings also have a Utah team that absolutely destroyed BYU ranked below BYU. And a Utah State team that would have beat BYU if not for an improbable spark and come from behind drive is significantly lower ranked than BYU.



So I like your ranking system, but I still feel like there are some flaws in it.
B
byufan4ever
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Honestly, going off how we've played so far, BYU is probably overrated. Seems like we're more fit for the 80-90 range. I hope for that to change with a fresh QB, but BYU has to prove it to me before I will just expect it.


For me, this is exactly why I do the rankings. It takes the "feeling" out of it. It works the other way too. In years past we've been rolling and feeling good about ourselves and complain about not being ranked high enough and my rankings will help me know when the blue goggles are on too tight.


But the rankings also have a Utah team that absolutely destroyed BYU ranked below BYU. And a Utah State team that would have beat BYU if not for an improbable spark and come from behind drive is significantly lower ranked than BYU.



So I like your ranking system, but I still feel like there are some flaws in it.


I agree that no system including mine is perfect...although I like mine much better than the AP, Coaches, or BCS polls...
B
BroncoBot
I love that ranking system. Please update us each week. seems just as good or better than other ranking systems. I think byu should be ranked about 60 unfortunately.

I also think byu should have beat the u so I like that we are ranked higher.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
Y12
Only loss is to Clemson who just beat Florida State and VaTech on back to back weekends. The Tigers are still undefeated, too.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.