Archived Topic

Why not give Nelson and Lark each a half to play?

by Dwight · 10/3/2011

Advertisement
D
Dwight
Any of the three QBs should be able to move against San Jose State. Why not give Nelson and Lark each a half to play. Take the better qb and split halves with Heaps the next game. That should give the coaches a little more to go on as they prepare for a TCU game in Dallas. Maybe Lark doesn't have all the divisive baggage. Besides that, this is not a BCS year, so the long term interests of this team may be more important. Getting a little more vision of these 3 QBs may pay off for next year. If Heaps hasn't won over the team by now, is he damaged goods? I personaly had hoped that his immaturity wouldn't have been an issue by now. I just can't get over how he refused to run for a 1st down against Utah when his team really needed him. I would like to see him grow up and demonstrate some selfless fortitude. It may not be in his DNA. I think it would have come out by now.
B
BroncoBot
If Nelson punishes SJSU he should continue to start and hopefully Lark gets plenty of full playbook mop up duty. If it's not broken, don't fix it. The offense was broken, and was fixed. At least temporarily. If the new tide recedes, get Lark in there.
S
SpiffCoug
What has Lark done at this point in games or practice to warrant playing time? Lark should be getting back up reps and be ready should Nelson falter several games in a row. But he hasn't earned an actual shot yet.
J
jonnylingo
SpiffCoug wrote:
What has Lark done at this point in games or practice to warrant playing time? Lark should be getting back up reps and be ready should Nelson falter several games in a row. But he hasn't earned an actual shot yet.


If lark was given reps like the other two were he could be very special. he is a good mix between jake and riley in terms of physical strengths. I see why people wat to give him a shot despite the fact he has not proven much but i don't think he has had much of a chance to prove much.



going forward it shouldn't matter much who is quarterback. i think the coaches need to be thinking about next year. who is going to help us win next year. that person should be playing most of the snaps going forward.



i don't have an opinion as of yet as to who that should be. i would like to know the cause of jake's regression. is it fixable or are we seeing the best we are going to get from him? he just isn't playing well. whatever happens we are not in a good spot offensively.
R
redneckjedi
Why does this idea sound like 2003 to me?
Advertisement
F
fifthqb
SpiffCoug wrote:
What has Lark done at this point in games or practice to warrant playing time? Lark should be getting back up reps and be ready should Nelson falter several games in a row. But he hasn't earned an actual shot yet.


Fall camp not count? In the practice numbers Lark dominated Nelson. If you read his comments you can tell that he came out hot and what happened? He got less reps in practice that he admitted ruined his rhythm he had going. I would wager decent money that if he were to get a consistent amount of reps he would be just as good as any of our other options. There was a reasons that Bronco was saying that "the competition from back up is far from over". To say Lark has done anything is a bit off I think.



I'm not saying give each a half, but I would like to see him get some playing time in a real game.
S
SpiffCoug
Larks numbers did not dominate Nelson. He closed the gap, but never got over the top.



What I'm trying to say that is Lark has not earned the chance to have a shot. He should now be moved up on the depth chart and start getting backup reps so that he can start preparing to be ready should Nelson stumble.



The notion that somehow Lark should now be thrown in there to get a shot wouldn't be fair to him. He's not ready yet either and would almost certainly struggle.



Nelson should be getting starters reps in practice, Lark should be getting backup reps. Nelson should start and play until he struggles. Lark should start preparing should an opportunity arise (Nelson struggles). But Lark shouldn't get a shot in games because Heaps struggled - just practice.
F
fifthqb
I looked for a few minutes but was unable to find summary stats for Fall camp. Anyone out there got them? If I recall right the first several weeks were decidedly in Lark's favor over Riley. Riley clearly won the scrimmages (over heaps too) so I will give him that.



Lark will never be "ready" if you don't get him some game time where he can actually throw the ball. Aside from that, I agree with what you are saying.
S
SpiffCoug
Right which is why Lark should start getting backup reps in practice, so that way he's ready for game action. I'm not sure if it's a blowout this week he should come in - Riley needs the live reps more right now. But maybe in a few games.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
Right which is why Lark should start getting backup reps in practice, so that way he's ready for game action. I'm not sure if it's a blowout this week he should come in - Riley needs the live reps more right now. But maybe in a few games.

Anytime we are fortunate enough to get a blowout, Lark should get reps. Riley may produce more blowouts, but BYU blowouts were even scare in late 2009 - thus Nelsonbgetting few reps. 2010 under Heps provided little opportunity - but some for Lark.



Do not risk injury to Nelson playing in a blowout. But do not be shocked if all these ages are tight. But I expect better QB play.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.