Archived Topic

Shocker: Monson gets it right re:Heaps/Riley

by Lawboy · 10/3/2011

Advertisement
L
Lawboy
IF you have not read this yet, you need to. This is spot on.



http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/52671776-88/nelson-heaps-mendenhall-offense.html.csp?page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Nelson’s insertion the other night invigorated the entire outfit, creating enthusiasm that not only endorsed the backup, it swatted the starter upside the head. Every compliment spoken about Nelson — such as Brandon Ogletree’s: “You saw the way the team rallied around him” — was an indictment of the other guy.



Point is, the team has not rallied, does not rally around Heaps. For weeks, players in the program have whispered complaints about the sophomore’s immaturity.



When Nelson entered, the blocking was better, the effort was better, the results were better. Does that make him a better quarterback?



That’s the irony. He is not.
V
vancouvercougar
Just finished Monson's article. It's one of the few he has written that I agree whole-heartedly with.



I hope the team gets the mental game right and goes on to win the rest of their games.
P
pjmuli
Lawboy wrote:
IF you have not read this yet, you need to. This is spot on.



http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/52671776-88/nelson-heaps-mendenhall-offense.html.csp?page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Nelson’s insertion the other night invigorated the entire outfit, creating enthusiasm that not only endorsed the backup, it swatted the starter upside the head. Every compliment spoken about Nelson — such as Brandon Ogletree’s: “You saw the way the team rallied around him” — was an indictment of the other guy.



Point is, the team has not rallied, does not rally around Heaps. For weeks, players in the program have whispered complaints about the sophomore’s immaturity.



When Nelson entered, the blocking was better, the effort was better, the results were better. Does that make him a better quarterback?



That’s the irony. He is not.


I know Monson's name is not held in high esteem by some, but I find that I agree with Monson most of the time. Same here.
J
jonnylingo
The article illustrates the real problem our coaches have in front of them. I personally do not have the faith in the coaches to make the rights decision and do what it takes to make whatever they choose successful.



I am losing faith in our coaching staff.



One thing I have to say is that Riley deserves some props. we should all congratulate him for being able to come in and kick some butt off the bench. we lose that game without him. great day for him. happy for him.



not sure if he is the solution, but either way he is an asset to the team and has been nothing but a realy team player. too bad we can't put his grit and maturity and charisma into jake.



This is yet another test for our coaches. hopefully the handle it the correct way. I don't have confidence they will. Hopefully they get it right.



I am not sure what my opinion is on this but the coaches who are close to the ground and have the necessary information need to make the right decision.
G
Gunk
I see Monson's point. Not sure I agree with it.



If the role of QB is that of a general, wouldn't the best general be the one that gets the most out of his troops, not the one that can shoot the best? Wouldn't the best general be the one that wins the battles and gets the most Ws?



I would describe an OC as more of a general for a football team than the QB. In which case, you plug in the players that produce the best results on the field as that is what matters.



So far, Nelson gets the most out of the troops. Football is a team sport and team play out weighs individual play. On paper, does Heaps seem to have the most upside? Yes, he does, but the fact of the matter is reality and practice are two different things. Heaps can't get the ball in the endzone. Riley did it twice last week and the one TD Heaps got came after a 14 yard run from Riley that was inches short of a TD.



How long do you keep plunking quarters into a slot machine waiting for a payout before you decide you're wasting money? That's the situation facing Bronco.



Secondly, Monson's article fails to acknowledge any sort of improvement on Riley's end. Riley ran it a lot Friday, but many of those run plays were designed QB runs as indicated by Riley. Riley stated other than the designed QB runs, they ran the same plays. There was no switch in offense. And guess what, Riley completed more of them than Heaps did. So, I don't buy the whole "the offense will need to be completely redrawn for Nelson" argument.



I think it's worth comparing Riley to Young. Young was considered to have a weak arm and coaches toyed with moving him to DB or RB. Sound familar? Young went out and improved his arm and became the protypical BYU QB with an added running game.



Riley's throws looked a lot better than they did last season. They had zip on them. They weren't the wobbling lobs we saw last season, which I was extremely critical of.



If I am Bronco, I slide over to the next slot machine. Use Riley this season and next should he continue on his current trajectory. Let Heaps burn a redshirt to mature and improve and you still have Heaps for two more years.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.