Archived Topic

What is Leadership?

by hawkwing · 10/3/2011

Advertisement
G
Guest
We've heard a lot lately about leadership, who has it, who doesn't. Some are even saying some people have it but are being purposely not followed by spiteful teammates. So what is leadership, how do you display it, what do you do with it?



I, and I know others on this site, have taken a leadership class at BYU taught by Vic Gibb. This class had nothing to do with my major, but even a few years later I still think back on it all the time and it has because my favorite class ever taken.



I really liked that Brother Gibb was a BYU football fan, and it was clear there were a lot of parallels in the leadership we were being trained in to the football field. In fact, leadership is leadership whether it be in a church calling, on the football field, in the corporate office, etc. One of our main texts was a talk given by President Kimball, the version on the web has been slightly edited for space, but still has a lot of great stuff in it. You can read it here: http://lds.org/ensign/1979/08/jesus-the-perfect-leader?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



The talk describes the attributes of the best leader we've ever had on earth, Jesus Christ. And how if we recognize and develop those talents we can be great leaders. Can that even apply to a game like football? I think it can.



They key points of his talk:



Fixed principles

He was constant in his principles based on truth. He said, 'Come follow me,' not 'do as I say.'



Understanding others

He knew when to reprove at times with sharpness and when to show love and understanding.



Selfless leadership

His leadership was for the betterment of others (the team). Put his own needs and wants 2nd.



Responsibility

Gave others responsibility and let them have ownership of it.



Accountability

A good leader is accountable to those he leads as much as they are accountable to him.



Wise Use of Time

Wise time management is really the wise management of ourselves.



This is a great talk and I think it would do the team well to read it.
B
Brayden Green
It is a great talk. I think the coaches should also read it.



The whole "wise use of time(outs)" part, for example. ;)
S
snoscythe
BlueIsBetter wrote:
The whole "wise use of time(outs)" part, for example.


I'm just glad Gary Anderson also didn't read that part.



That's probably the most-overlooked aspect of Friday night's game--how USU called TWO timeouts during BYU's 96-yard drive that bailed BYU out of horrible clock-management.
S
Schmoe
1. The action of leading a group of people or an organization.

2. The state or position of being a leader.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.