Archived Topic

Two guys that need to see the ball more

by redneckjedi · 10/3/2011

Advertisement
R
redneckjedi
Marcus Matthews and Austin Holt



As far as I can tell, both these guys have been solid in catching the ball and getting pretty good YAC. Also, they seem to be getting a lot more open than our receivers on their receptions, probably due to matchups with linebackers.



Thoughts?
G
Guest
Austin Holt is my favorite player on offense right now. I wish he were targeted 5+ more times a game.
W
Wickchad
I can think of two places that need to see the ball more: the north end zone and the south end zone. Of course alternating quarters depending on which direction BYU is heading...
R
redneckjedi
Watching Austin in high school made me think he would just be a blocking TE, but that must have just been an artifact of the run-heavy Bingham offense, because he has been fantastic for us this year. I was sold when he lowered his shoulder into the Texas DB in the first half. :)
C
Cougs_Rule
Totally agree. And I would favor mathews slightly, but both need it more. The TE's need it more. BUt MMathews seems to me to make the most effort to make the catch (and not just bc he caught the game winner). MJ needs to see it less. I'd take Falslev anyday. TOO many drops by MJ.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Was glad to see the TEs used more on Friday. Both seem to have a knack for catching the ball and taking immediate hits. I like Holt a lot.



Kind of would like Falsev to get the ball a bit more too. I really liked his run after he caught that one pass from Heaps on Friday. Seems to have some good speed.
J
jonnylingo
Holt has been money in blocking and catching. he is going to be good. need to go to him more. mathews has been great as well. i think wilson has also been solid.



amazing how tight ends are strength of offense right now given how things were last year. can reynolds be tight ends and running backs coach?
V
vancouvercougar
jonnylingo wrote:
Holt has been money in blocking and catching. he is going to be good. need to go to him more. mathews has been great as well. i think wilson has also been solid.



amazing how tight ends are strength of offense right now given how things were last year. can reynolds be tight ends and running backs coach?


Can reynolds coach QB's?
C
Cougs_Rule
vancouvercougar wrote:
Holt has been money in blocking and catching. he is going to be good. need to go to him more. mathews has been great as well. i think wilson has also been solid.



amazing how tight ends are strength of offense right now given how things were last year. can reynolds be tight ends and running backs coach?


Can reynolds coach QB's?


He is the sideline support for Jake. I have seen him talking to Jake multiple times.
G
Guest
dmcougar wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
Holt has been money in blocking and catching. he is going to be good. need to go to him more. mathews has been great as well. i think wilson has also been solid.



amazing how tight ends are strength of offense right now given how things were last year. can reynolds be tight ends and running backs coach?


Can reynolds coach QB's?


He is the sideline support for Jake. I have seen him talking to Jake multiple times.


So I guess the answer is no :sulk:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
I was going to say Van Noy. Dude scores every time he touches it.
R
redneckjedi
CougarClaw wrote:
I was going to say Van Noy. Dude scores every time he touches it.


Should've pick six'ed that bat down he had, then. ;)
C
Cougarbib
Wickchad84087 wrote:
I can think of two places that need to see the ball more: the north end zone and the south end zone. Of course alternating quarters depending on which direction BYU is heading...

I am hoping the coaches noticed that Riley had the team in scoring range on every drive he played in, including the gift wrapped TD he set up for Jake after saving the drive on 4th down in the first half. And he scored two TDs and gift wrapped a 3rd for Jake. The only three we got. Had Riley been left in the game forvthat QB sneak, he would have had 3 TDs in 5 or 6 drives compared to about 3 or 4 all year for Jake.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
Totally agree. And I would favor mathews slightly, but both need it more. The TE's need it more. BUt MMathews seems to me to make the most effort to make the catch (and not just bc he caught the game winner). MJ needs to see it less. I'd take Falslev anyday. TOO many drops by MJ.

And yet MJ saved the winning drive by having the moxy to adjust his route and come get the ball.



DM - considering your other post - do you just have sour grapes about the veterans that rallied around Riley?



I say let Riley throw to whomever he choosescand be held accountable for the resulting PER and wins. I expect Riley to make sure we do not lose to teams we are supposed to beat like Utah and USU this year and woulda been Ole Miss without Kyle scoring, and UCF without a 98 yard KO returned for a TD.



Folks had Jake not been bailed out if his inability to score, we be 0-5.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Totally agree. And I would favor mathews slightly, but both need it more. The TE's need it more. BUt MMathews seems to me to make the most effort to make the catch (and not just bc he caught the game winner). MJ needs to see it less. I'd take Falslev anyday. TOO many drops by MJ.

And yet MJ saved the winning drive by having the moxy to adjust his route and come get the ball.



DM - considering your other post - do you just have sour grapes about the veterans that rallied around Riley?



I say let Riley throw to whomever he choosescand be held accountable for the resulting PER and wins. I expect Riley to make sure we do not lose to teams we are supposed to beat like Utah and USU this year and woulda been Ole Miss without Kyle scoring, and UCF without a 98 yard KO returned for a TD.



Folks had Jake not been bailed out if his inability to score, we be 0-5.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




DM is Jake's sister.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.