Archived Topic

33 percent

by Gunk · 10/2/2011

Advertisement
G
Gunk
I don't know how many of you heard this, but I thought it a rather interesting stat. During the game yesterday on of the announcers mentioned BYU had a 33% TD rate in the redzone. Essentially, we only convert for a TD 1/3 of the times we're there (how frustrating was it walking away with a field goal after 6 tries). The announcer then mentioned good football teams will be at least in the mid 70s, and if I recall correctly he said USU was hovering just above 80%. Props to USU.



Food for thought, after a quarter and a half of play, Riley Nelson's TD rate in the redzone is at 66%, I believe. The switch doubled our redzone TD rate.
C
Cougarbib
Gunk wrote:
I don't know how many of you heard this, but I thought it a rather interesting stat. During the game yesterday on of the announcers mentioned BYU had a 33% TD rate in the redzone. Essentially, we only convert for a TD 1/3 of the times we're there (how frustrating was it walking away with a field goal after 6 tries). The announcer then mentioned good football teams will be at least in the mid 70s, and if I recall correctly he said USU was hovering just above 80%. Props to USU.



Food for thought, after a quarter and a half of play, Riley Nelson's TD rate in the redzone is at 66%, I believe. The switch doubled our redzone TD rate.

Basically, although Jake Heaps will get credit for a TD drive and a 1 yard sneak. Riley made that TD happen - plus two passing TDs - plus a missed field goal - plus a JJ fumble inside the 30. It will be fun to see if the tide recedes next week or rises even higher.



Scary - but imagine if Riley rallies the O and D again, and zero turnovers, and Special Teams has some killer kicks and returns. Ther is sometimes just a subtle difference between mediocrity and greatness.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.