Archived Topic

This team has heart after all...

by crh55 · 10/2/2011

Advertisement
C
crh55
After the worst blow out loss against our rival. Last week, the special teams and defense made some amazing plays to come from behind and win. Last night, the offense finally did their part, showed some heart and played an unbelievable 4th quarter. It's been painful to watch at times, but not as painful as hearing that it is all about "execution."



We could easily be 0-5 if it weren't for a few things going out way and some hard fought 4th quarters. It was just nice to finally see the offense get it done when the game was on the line.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
Agreed. And, "Yes it do." (Feel nice to see the "O" pull it out)
J
jrclone
The team definitely has heart, Heaps, on the other hand, has all the heart of the tin man before he visits oz.
U
Ungoy
Wow... People here are ripping Heaps worse than Ute fans ripped Wynn last year against TCU and ND. Geez people. Heaps is still a QB the team, and I for one will support any player who wears the white and blue at BYU.



I'm not saying a change wasn't needed, but to continue to rip Heaps after the change has been made is completely counter productive.
S
SpiffCoug
I have no idea how Ute fans treated Wynn, I don't visit their boards.



I think a lot of the vitriol you're seeing is pent up frustration. A lot of fans gave Heaps a pass for a very long time. Much longer than he probably earned, so it's become personal to them. There's some frustration that Heaps put them in positions to defend him that weren't really defensible. So fans are mad that now, when it is obvious to all, they have to change course, they're taking it as a personal affront.



I disagree that fans on CC are counter-productive. We're neither productive nor counter-productive to the situation. We are non-factors.
Advertisement
J
jrclone
So basically your saying it's not okay to be disappointed in a QB who was hyped to no end this offseason, who has failed to produce more than one offensive touchdown in any game this year? You can go ahead and "support" him all you want, but being a fan does not mean that I can't be frustrated when I see another 3 and out with Heaps at the helm, as the team is down 21-13, and him walk off the sideline looking like he doesn't have a care in the world. Or watching him release the ball too early nearly every other play because he is a statue in the pocket, rarely scrambling to avoid getting hit. He needs to man up and lead the team with a little more fire, and a lot less "polish"
U
Ungoy
jrclone wrote:
So basically your saying it's not okay to be disappointed in a QB who was hyped to no end this offseason, who has failed to produce more than one offensive touchdown in any game this year? You can go ahead and "support" him all you want, but being a fan does not mean that I can't be frustrated when I see another 3 and out with Heaps at the helm, as the team is down 21-13, and him walk off the sideline looking like he doesn't have a care in the world. Or watching him release the ball too early nearly every other play because he is a statue in the pocket, rarely scrambling to avoid getting hit. He needs to man up and lead the team with a little more fire, and a lot less "polish"


Did you completely skip over where I said that a change was needed? I never said that that I am giving Heaps a pass or that he should still be the starting QB. What I said is that 2 days after being pulled, people are still ripping him and numerous people have said that they think this is Heaps ceiling. That is possible, but right now I am not going to focus on one player. I might be upset about a certain player during the game, but I'm not going to continue ripping him days after the game, especially after he got pulled like everyone wanted. I honestly think that some people won't be happy until Heaps transfers and is never heard of again. Me, all I want is the best players to play. The players who give us the best chance of winning. If that's Riley at QB, great. If its Heaps, great. If it's Lark, great. But when all is said and done, they all wear BYU blue, at least for now, and as such, they all have my best wishes and support.
G
Guest
Ungoy, I believe you're reading more into the frustrations at Heaps then is there. I may be wrong, if you ask the ladyhawk she'll tell you I often am, but I really haven't read many people who are saying that Heaps can never improve or become a great QB in future years, nor that he should transfer.



I am pretty much down talking about Heaps, except I think questions about how he handles the benching are legitimate. I think it's pretty clear that he needs to sit for the rest of the year, so now the question is, can he take that time and prepare himself for the chance to either play again next year, or RS? I hope so. I'd love to see a turn around that is even bigger than the John Beck type turn around.
C
Cougarbib
Ungoy wrote:
So basically your saying it's not okay to be disappointed in a QB who was hyped to no end this offseason, who has failed to produce more than one offensive touchdown in any game this year? You can go ahead and "support" him all you want, but being a fan does not mean that I can't be frustrated when I see another 3 and out with Heaps at the helm, as the team is down 21-13, and him walk off the sideline looking like he doesn't have a care in the world. Or watching him release the ball too early nearly every other play because he is a statue in the pocket, rarely scrambling to avoid getting hit. He needs to man up and lead the team with a little more fire, and a lot less "polish"


Did you completely skip over where I said that a change was needed? I never said that that I am giving Heaps a pass or that he should still be the starting QB. What I said is that 2 days after being pulled, people are still ripping him and numerous people have said that they think this is Heaps ceiling. That is possible, but right now I am not going to focus on one player. I might be upset about a certain player during the game, but I'm not going to continue ripping him days after the game, especially after he got pulled like everyone wanted. I honestly think that some people

won't be happy until Heaps transfers and is never heard of again. Me, all I want is the best players to play. The players who give us the best chance of winning. If that's Riley at QB, great. If its Heaps, great. If it's Lark, great. But when all is said and done, they all wear BYU blue, at least for now, and as such, they all have my best wishes and support.


What about Munns? In all seriousness, I agree with most of what you are saying. My frustration goes back to fans posting that Nelson was not a D1 QB and in the way of Jake Heaps and that Lark and Munns should give up and transfer before Jake Heps ever proved or earned anything. None of the transferred and Nelson was ready when his chance came. Lark and Munns are on this team too and have been buried with little hope behind POTENTIAL - possibly clinging to a belief that I too have potential - and it is time, in mop up should we get any mop up - to see what they do have. Jake Heaps has had a ton of reps. He does not need more reps right now. He needs to reflect. I did not want Nelson, Lark, or Munns to transfer and I do not want Heaps to transfer either. I would like them all to be ready to play.



I will never forget the year the 4th string QB quit and transferred into his oblivion and the 5th string QB won MVP in a close Bowl Game loss. His name is Tom Young - Steve's littlest brother. I can never remember the name of the 4th string guy who transferred even though I frequently go back and look it up - Brock something or other iirc.



Jake should shut up, man up, ponder, lose the hosiery unless medically necessary, work harder, be more accountable, seek opportunities to get used to taking hits, bulk up, and realize that it is his time to gracefully stay out of the way of Lark or Munns getting reps, but ready to go if needed in a game crunch situation.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
Cougarbib2 wrote:
jrclone wrote:
So basically your saying it's not okay to be disappointed in a QB who was hyped to no end this offseason, who has failed to produce more than one offensive touchdown in any game this year? You can go ahead and "support" him all you want, but being a fan does not mean that I can't be frustrated when I see another 3 and out with Heaps at the helm, as the team is down 21-13, and him walk off the sideline looking like he doesn't have a care in the world. Or watching him release the ball too early nearly every other play because he is a statue in the pocket, rarely scrambling to avoid getting hit. He needs to man up and lead the team with a little more fire, and a lot less "polish"


Did you completely skip over where I said that a change was needed? I never said that that I am giving Heaps a pass or that he should still be the starting QB. What I said is that 2 days after being pulled, people are still ripping him and numerous people have said that they think this is Heaps ceiling. That is possible, but right now I am not going to focus on one player. I might be upset about a certain player during the game, but I'm not going to continue ripping him days after the game, especially after he got pulled like everyone wanted. I honestly think that some people

won't be happy until Heaps transfers and is never heard of again. Me, all I want is the best players to play. The players who give us the best chance of winning. If that's Riley at QB, great. If its Heaps, great. If it's Lark, great. But when all is said and done, they all wear BYU blue, at least for now, and as such, they all have my best wishes and support.


What about Munns? In all seriousness, I agree with most of what you are saying. My frustration goes back to fans posting that Nelson was not a D1 QB and in the way of Jake Heaps and that Lark and Munns should give up and transfer before Jake Heps ever proved or earned anything. None of the transferred and Nelson was ready when his chance came. Lark and Munns are on this team too and have been buried with little hope behind POTENTIAL - possibly clinging to a belief that I too have potential - and it is time, in mop up should we get any mop up - to see what they do have. Jake Heaps has had a ton of reps. He does not need more reps right now. He needs to reflect. I did not want Nelson, Lark, or Munns to transfer and I do not want Heaps to transfer either. I would like them all to be ready to play.



I will never forget the year the 4th string QB quit and transferred into his oblivion and the 5th string QB won MVP in a close Bowl Game loss. His name is Tom Young - Steve's littlest brother. I can never remember the name of the 4th string guy who transferred even though I frequently go back and look it up - Brock something or other iirc.



Jake should shut up, man up, ponder, lose the hosiery unless medically necessary, work harder, be more accountable, seek opportunities to get used to taking hits, bulk up, and realize that it is his time to gracefully stay out of the way of Lark or Munns getting reps, but ready to go if needed in a game crunch situation.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Excellent post. I am guilty of putting down Riley last year in favor of the golden boy--I didn't realize Riley was playing through injury during the season. I'm all for letting him and Lark be the 1-2 the rest of this season. In fact, I think that should extend through next year as well IF Nelson does at least a satisfactory job.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.