Archived Topic

What's your Riley Nelson expectation this week?

by SpiffCoug · 10/2/2011

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I think we can all safely assume Riley Nelson will start against San Jose St. What do you expect from him?
S
SpiffCoug
Riley is now our starting QB and I'll hold him to the BYU starting QB standard of 136 PER.
S
Schmoe
I think that he'll have some bumps in the road taking over the offense this week, but will be above 136 and lead us to a win!
B
BroncoBot
totally agree. If we as fans expected that out of Heaps, it's only fair to expect it out of Nelson. I don't care how he does it or how "pretty" he is while doing it. Just be efficient, score, and win.



Nelson 25/34, 280 yards, 3tds, 1int, 95 yards rushing. Where does that put him?
G
Guest
136 PER.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
136; however if he under delivers there are his rushing yards, which Heaps has virtually none of. Plus, our running game is better under Riley because when Riley runs the option it's actually an option. If Heaps attempts it, the defense knows Heaps isn't going to opt to run it himself. Defenses have to and will respect Riley.
S
SpiffCoug
declocoug wrote:
totally agree. If we as fans expected that out of Heaps, it's only fair to expect it out of Nelson. I don't care how he does it or how "pretty" he is while doing it. Just be efficient, score, and win.



Nelson 25/34, 280 yards, 3tds, 1int, 95 yards rushing. Where does that put him?

165.94. That'd be a fantastic game. That seems pretty high to me - attainable for any BYU QB, but on the high side right now.
B
BroncoBot
SpiffCoug wrote:
totally agree. If we as fans expected that out of Heaps, it's only fair to expect it out of Nelson. I don't care how he does it or how "pretty" he is while doing it. Just be efficient, score, and win.



Nelson 25/34, 280 yards, 3tds, 1int, 95 yards rushing. Where does that put him?

165.94. That'd be a fantastic game. That seems pretty high to me - attainable for any BYU QB, but on the high side right now.

Sure but he's coming off a 200+ performance. Let's get the hype-mobile revved up!!!!



;)



Seriously though, I'm expecting a solid performance against a team like SJSU and a full week of reps. I'd love for Riley to prove all doubters wrong this week and the rest of the year. Something I kept hoping for Heaps would do, it just never materialized.
H
HoosierCougar
Anxious to see Riley get four quarters in a row. My biggest question: will he throw on passing plays, or will he immediately tuck and run as soon as he gets pressured?



He went to the air vs USU because he absolutely had to. Can he maintain the awesome energy he showed for an entire game if he's running half the time and throwing the other half? (yes hyperbole, but it makes the point.)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
declocoug wrote:
declocoug wrote:
totally agree. If we as fans expected that out of Heaps, it's only fair to expect it out of Nelson. I don't care how he does it or how "pretty" he is while doing it. Just be efficient, score, and win.



Nelson 25/34, 280 yards, 3tds, 1int, 95 yards rushing. Where does that put him?

165.94. That'd be a fantastic game. That seems pretty high to me - attainable for any BYU QB, but on the high side right now.

Sure but he's coming off a 200+ performance. Let's get the hype-mobile revved up!!!!



;)



Seriously though, I'm expecting a solid performance against a team like SJSU and a full week of reps. I'd love for Riley to prove all doubters wrong this week and the rest of the year. Something I kept hoping for Heaps would do, it just never materialized.


Imagine if Riley gets it going. Delivers next week and remains the starter for the rest of year, delivering consistently and then gets an off-season with all the reps and attention of a starting QB. Next season could actually be quite good. Certainly better than another "growing" season for the 9 11.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
I thought I was being conservative and put him just above average given the opponent, location of the game, and the fact that I expect him to earn his spot every week just like I expect of every BYU player.



No 206 expectation from me.



But I seem to be the only person answering the question asked? I expect him to be above average. Thatcis what I expect to happen.



I expect - in the context of minimal acceptable performance - 136. If we get a big lead and get Lark some reps, I don't care what Riley's PER is this week.



But I expect in terms of what I most likely think we will see - 145.



Now - I think you should ask this every week being more precisely clear whether you are asking what wevthink will happen or what we will hold him accountable to deliver.



On TCU week - on the Road - even with TCU seeming beatable - you will get a lower number than I am giving this week - unless - performance lifts my boat even higher.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
HoosierCougar wrote:
Anxious to see Riley get four quarters in a row. My biggest question: will he throw on passing plays, or will he immediately tuck and run as soon as he gets pressured?



He went to the air vs USU because he absolutely had to. Can he maintain the awesome energy he showed for an entire game if he's running half the time and throwing the other half? (yes hyperbole, but it makes the point.)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I agree that he must learn to stay in the pocket if he's going to play 4 quarters a week. But he looked like he was sittin in mom's rockin chair when the O-line gave him some time to work with, and evaded the defense when stuff fell apart. Good signs.
M
mizzoucoug
We need to run a lot of option with Riley imo. Once we've loosened up the D, he'll get his PER up there.
F
fifthqb
I have decently low expectations. I think he will be a little over 100. He got some great grabs off some poor throws. Not sure he will get that help again this week. I actually see him trying to do too much early and having a sloppy game. Enough to lead us to a comfortable win.



I'm not sold that riley is the deliverer. Maybe I just don't want to get my hopes up. san Jose state is not a good team though. I expect the defense to hold them to maybe 10 points and we control the game running. Games got to be over by midnight right?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
Gunk wrote:
136; however if he under delivers there are his rushing yards, which Heaps has virtually none of. Plus, our running game is better under Riley because when Riley runs the option it's actually an option. If Heaps attempts it, the defense knows Heaps isn't going to opt to run it himself. Defenses have to and will respect Riley.

This. USU coach said when Riley came in they had to quit emtying the box out of respect for the run. I have been saying this for 13 games - because Jake actually took off a time or two vs Washington when fighting for his job - that if Jake wants open receivers and less pressure he needs to make defenses pay with his feet or accurate throws or better yet - both. Then play action works.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
HoosierCougar wrote:
Anxious to see Riley get four quarters in a row. My biggest question: will he throw on passing plays, or will he immediately tuck and run as soon as he gets pressured?



He went to the air vs USU because he absolutely had to. Can he maintain the awesome energy he showed for an entire game if he's running half the time and throwing the other half? (yes hyperbole, but it makes the point.)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Hopefully he takes what they give him - and Doman calls the right plays. I expect Riley to get 3 qtrs and fight to get Lark a quarter. I just hope the coaches have the courage to make that call. We need three QBs. Riley is going to take some hits.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
a1247
I think Doman is going to remember his senior year running the option with Staley. Get the defense off balance with plenty of run plays and option plays. Then open up the passing game. With the defense confussed from now having to defend 3 very different types of offense it could be enough to even give the mighty TCU defense troubles.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
fifthqb wrote:
I have decently low expectations. I think he will be a little over 100. He got some great grabs off some poor throws. Not sure he will get that help again this week. I actually see him trying to do too much early and having a sloppy game. Enough to lead us to a comfortable win.



I'm not sold that riley is the deliverer. Maybe I just don't want to get my hopes up. san Jose state is not a good team though. I expect the defense to hold them to maybe 10 points and we control the game running. Games got to be over by midnight right?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

SJSU pinned more on CSU who pinned more on USU than we did. I would not take anything for granted. A PER a little over 100 will be very lucky to escape with a win at all.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.