Archived Topic

In other News

by Cougarbib · 10/2/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
SJSU beat CSU who beat USU in Logan. Do not take them lightly. We could not beat them with just any of our four QBs. sorry Blue is Better. We can beat them behind Riley Nelson.



UW killed U in SLC after a close first half. Wynn knocked out injuring same shoulder we tweaked. This time he did not return. No back-up QB - turnover bowl - defense got tired and demoralized. It happens when the tide recedes. Let Riley get a lead and start developing Lark. Stuff happens.



Ole Miss is beating Fresno State in Fresno in the 3rd qtr. Hang on Rebels.



Texas creamed.



A&M lost again. Arkansas. Welcome to the SEC.



Go UCF. BYE this week. Marshall up next.



TCU lost to another rising Tide. SMU. After turning UH around, June Jones goes to winless SMU and has the Ponies winning big this year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
All the this team beat this team beat the red headed stepchild of this team means nothing. It is all about matchups. But just to humor you:







Let's see, just 7 games ago.



2010



BYU 49

Colorado State 10



I don't think we are 39 points worse than last year, and they aren't 39 points better. So we are worried about a team that beat them?
C
Cougarbib
BlueIsBetter wrote:
All the this team beat this team beat the red headed stepchild of this team means nothing. It is all about matchups. But just to humor you:







Let's see, just 7 games ago.



2010



BYU 49

Colorado State 10



I don't think we are 39 points worse than last year, and they aren't 39 points better. So we are worried about a team that beat them?


What last year has to do with it escapes me - but since you are scrambling harder than Riley Nelson behind a horrible OL



Didnt you say the OL is horrible, and RB, and safety, and dropped passes?



But let's play - match ups - last year Utah beat us by the narrowest of margins in a game that we should have won.



Q. Did you expect a 40 point swing?????



You predicted a Jake Heaps breakout win over USU.



Q. Do you realize how far you missed the mark?



You wantedvto replace half of the team for holding your favorite guy back, maybe even O Coordinator and ridiculed the notion that a rising tide could lift all boats on O and D and be created by just one position showing improvement.



Q. Did you notice that improved QB play did that instantly?



Q. Do you ever hold yourself accountable for what you say?



Q. Do you realize how low your credibility has sunk by being blinded by STARS?



Questions - served up like a pro - just the way you like them



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
This thread could be an epic dogfight. And I'm not prepared to get involved.



Good luck to the both of you. ;)
C
Cougarbib
declocoug wrote:
This thread could be an epic dogfight. And I'm not prepared to get involved.



Good luck to the both of you. ;)

Has Potential. But it is so nice to have something to get excited about - I might just back off and let sleeping dogs sleep



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
K
KYCoug
The SMU game made me think. I've heard they are actively lobbying to get into the Big12. If they came in and ND came in with us, then Baylor already there you would have the Catholics, Methodists, Mormons and Baptist. That's pretty representative!



Go Cougs!
S
SpiffCoug
The SMU game made me think that TCU is beatable. TCU has given up 40 points twice this year. FBS opponents have thrown 13 TDs and just 1 INT in four games. They're averaging nearly 300 yards a game and have a PER of 164. Even if you take out the Baylor game, TCU opponents have a PER of 136.



Guys, I can't make up this 136 PER. TCU is very beatable this year.
C
Cougarbib
KYCoug wrote:
The SMU game made me think. I've heard they are actively lobbying to get into the Big12. If they came in and ND came in with us, then Baylor already there you would have the Catholics, Methodists, Mormons and Baptist. That's pretty representative!



Go Cougs!

It would actually be fun. No doubt. Then if we could add some atheists from Cal or Stanford!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
The SMU game made me think that TCU is beatable. TCU has given up 40 points twice this year. FBS opponents have thrown 13 TDs and just 1 INT in four games. They're averaging nearly 300 yards a game and have a PER of 164. Even if you take out the Baylor game, TCU opponents have a PER of 136.



Guys, I can't make up this 136 PER. TCU is very beatable this year.

Is the 164 opponent PER including Baylor or is it the TCU Per? Same ? For 300 yards. It is that "They're" that confused me, but I guess it is actually clear grammatically. Just double checking.



What is TCU PER. They are beatable. BYU, if playing tomorrow, will hold TCU to a below point average if the BYZu offense musters a decent performance - admittedly a ? Even with Riley!



If Riley goes 136 Vs TCU - and we don't have a turnover festival - and Special Teams are solid - TCU is beatable. Now why we gave them a one and done at an un-neutral field was asinine, but so far road has not hurt us badly. But, in Provo, I do not think Texas could have come back since they barely did at home. Maybe their meltdown in the first half would have dug a deeper hole.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
The 164 PER is with Baylor and 136 without Baylor. Without the Baylor game its 250 ypg.



TCU is throwing the ball very well as well with a 160 PER. BYU's defensive PER is 118.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
I'm not dodging you, Bib2. I will answer some questions, because others want to know. I suggest you tone it down:



I will leave it at that.


Didnt you say the OL is horrible, and RB, and safety, and dropped passes?


Just because we win an inferior team it doesn't mean these areas were acceptable.



- I did. And they are. The Oline didn't give hardly any time last night, or any running space. Every run was willed through. We still can't run to the left side, because the LG gets blown up on every running play.



- The rb position is bad. Our best running threat was a qb last night.



- I know that you are bff's with Uales dad, but he played another uninspiring game. Can't tackle, and every big running play came as a result of a missed assignment by him, or him being manhandled by a 160 pound receiver. The safety play is mediocre, at best. I'm not sure what you can show me to refute that.



- Dropped passes. They were all over the place. Jake had a ton that were catchable. Somewhere in the vicinity of 6 or 7 that were right on the money (someone has alluded to 2 for TD's). I believe he is referring to the Hoffman and Apo passes. Hoffman dropped like 3 or 4 pretty easy ones, then when Riley comes in he was lights out, diving

and catching everything. It wasn't that Riley threw a catchable ball, they just went above and beyond and went and got it. It was weird, and wonderful. I like to see that kind of effort, and I want to see the qb in that inspires that kind of effort (right now, so far it is Riley.)


Q. Did you expect a 40 point swing?????


In this game, no I expected us to win 40-20, as I predicted. A couple defensive turnovers either for TD's or in great field position, plus a 20 point-ish night from the offense - besides the TO's.


You predicted a Jake Heaps breakout win over USU.

Q. Do you realize how far you missed the mark?


I don't think I predicted a breakout for Heaps, anywhere. There are too many things wrong with the offense. It appears that the offense actually TRYING when Nelson came in, is remedying some of these issues (drops, etc) but not the execution. We still get tons of penalties, we still waste timeouts all game long, we are still not executing at a high, or acceptable level at position groups, or in coaching. A win, doesn't take that away.


You wantedvto replace half of the team for holding your favorite guy back, maybe even O Coordinator and ridiculed the notion that a rising tide could lift all boats on O and D and be created by just one position showing improvement.


This is a straw man. I never wanted to replace half the team. Show me where I said that. (I want my actual words, not a recap by you of what I said.)



I never once said anything about replacing the O cordinator this season, once. Again, show me in my words, where I said that (straw man).


Q. Did you notice that improved QB play did that instantly?


I'm not sure what you are asking here... I assume you are asking "Did you notice that an improved play from the qb did all of those things mentioned above?"



I'm not going to answer the straw man position you have above, pertinent to this question. I am going to say that improved qb play didn't make the line pass protect better. Riley still had a lot of heat, he just handled it, and danced away. He did a really good job of that. The rb's did not play better when he was in. We RAN the ball better, because Riley took off and ran, catching the D by surprise often. But the rb's did not play better. We were still getting the same types of results running, minus the Riely runs. We actually ran the ball worse with the rbs when Riley came in, if you include the fumble.



The wr's did catch the ball much better. Which is both good, and a shame. I don't care if your qb is Riley or Lark or whoever. If they are not giving effort on every play, then there are 10 other guys that want to be in there. Hoffman (also, Jacobsen) needs to play at that level, regardless of who is in. But I am glad he finally got there.

Q. Do you ever hold yourself accountable for what you say?


This seems like a personal attack, and an unprovoked one. I will answer it though, this time. :skeptic:



Yes I do, in my personal life. On the board, I don't have a chance NOT to, because I have posters trying to crawl down my throat every second, for every little thing.


Q. Do you realize how low your credibility has sunk by being blinded by STARS?


I could care less about my "credibility" from you or anyone else. I don't want your credibility, actually. I stand by my original post(s) that Jake is the better qb. The offense is playing better under Riley at the moment, and that happens sometimes. And I am okay with it happening, as I have stated numerous times.


Questions - served up like a pro - just the way you like them


That wasn't an insult when I said that, but you seem to have taken it that way. Your posts get way too muddled with all these questions intersecting each other. And all these intentions criss crossing, that it doesn't make sense sometimes. I guess I won't try and help you out in the future, and that is fine with me.



I'm really not sure why you are so aggressive right now. Must be all that brotherly love and compassion and kindness they are talking about in conference. I'm not going to respond to attacks, in the future. I will, however, respond to questions. Tone it down. We can debate things without being douchebags to each other. Seriously.
C
Cougarbib
Maybe the douchebag comment will help tone it down. By the way - my comments were not intended as insults - they were intended as constructive feedback about your bluster and everything out of your mouth is gospel style - with what appears to me to be a lack of going back and critically looking at your tracK record before stating the next gospel. If that was not helpful - hey ignore it. I have also poked a little bit of fun, well intentioned, at your propensity to be demanding and impatient if someone does not see and or respond to one of your righteous questions immediately. You can ignore my helpful suggestions - And I will not call you a douchebag.



Trying to follow my own advice. You are absolutely right - you never called specifically for Doman to be replaced. What you did do was use coaching, including Doman as 1 in an arsenal of excuses. That would seem to lead one to think you see two alternatives - wait patiently while Doman reaches his POTENTIAL and Heaps continues to struggle - or have someone else call the plays. Kind of like several posters called for Doman to call plays or even insinuated he was doing anytime things went right in late 2010.



Q. Did you call for Doman to replace Anae, call the plays instead of Anae last year, or say youvthought Doman had actually started calling them wgen things improved?



My iPad can't quote effectively, so bear with me.



Above - you once again go off on seeming to call for Uale to replace and three receivers who don't play as hard for Heaps in your opinion. I am OK to look at some rotation at safetyvas posted previouslyvwhen you asked. We have an excellent DC. He apparently does not think anyone is ready. Uale has shortcomings at times - no doubt. Makes plays too. Open field tacklingvof large speedy backs that should have been tackled at the LOS - not his strength. Gets beat on pass coverage at times. But Blue - our defense, overall, has held every opponent but Utah in check. Uale did not fumble 7 times in that game. He was beaten several times and looked as bad as everyone else.



Q. Just who do you want to see come in at the OL, Safety, and 3 WR spots you mentioned in just this post.



Q. How do you want to address the coaching problems to avoid losing to teams like Utah and Utah State?



Q. How many changes would you be willing to risk making before making the one change that made the entire team more effective?



BTW

I totally agree that Doman and Cahoon have coached like the rookies they are. Dupaix, an experienced RB coach, has not gotten any improvement out of the RBs vs what Lance Reynolds got last year. Lance Reynolds has gotten improvement out of tight ends. I would have been OK with him pkaycalling if Doman wanted to stay on the sidelines. Doman is learning. Patience is still reasonable to expect. We do not have a great RB or a great FB. Uale has limitations. I agree with all of that. Where we disagree is that there is no quick fix to any of that and if you do not make the one change needed to win football games - you lose the heartvand soul of the team.



Last year - that one change was Jaime Hill



This year - Jake Heaps = Jaime Hill - fair or not - Jake lost the team



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
(BTW I wasn't calling you a douchebag, i was saying that we can post back and forth to each other without being that to each other. That is what it can and should be.)
B
blue42
I don't know why people are saying the running game was bad against usu, it was doing fine even before Nelson came in. When all 3 avg almost 4 yds a carry with Kyria being the only one south of that mark I think that's a pretty good running game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Maybe the douchebag comment will help tone it down. By the way - my comments were not intended as insults - they were intended as constructive feedback about your bluster and everything out of your mouth is gospel style - with what appears to me to be a lack of going back and critically looking at your tracK record before stating the next gospel. If that was not helpful - hey ignore it. I have also poked a little bit of fun, well intentioned, at your propensity to be demanding and impatient if someone does not see and or respond to one of your righteous questions immediately.




Everything out of my mouth is gospel style? What do you mean by that? Righteous questions?



I don't think I've ever asked anything in a righteous or gospel statement way. I think you are being subjective here.


Trying to follow my own advice. You are absolutely right - you never called specifically for Doman to be replaced.




That's right, I didn't. Straw man. ;) I didn't use Doman as an excuse. He currently happens to be a problem in the offense. But he is making proper adjustments and getting better. Anyone that expected him to be lights out from day one is flat out crazy.




Q. Did you call for Doman to replace Anae, call the plays instead of Anae last year,




I didn't ever call for Doman specifically. I called for someone else, because Anae wasn't getting the job done with the talent we had, last year, but the previous years especially. Also, he was infighting with players and snubbing recruits.


or say youvthought Doman had actually started calling them wgen things improved?
Nope. I never did. Others did.


My iPad can't quote effectively, so bear with me.


I understand that. :) I'll bear. :)




Above - you once again go off on seeming to call for Uale to replace and three receivers who don't play as hard for Heaps in your opinion. I am OK to look at some rotation at safetyvas posted previouslyvwhen you asked. We have an excellent DC. He apparently does not think anyone is ready. Uale has shortcomings at times - no doubt. Makes plays too. Open field tacklingvof large speedy backs that should have been tackled at the LOS - not his strength. Gets beat on pass coverage at times. But Blue - our defense, overall, has held every opponent but Utah in check. Uale did not fumble 7 times in that game. He was beaten several times and looked as bad as everyone else.


I think that if a player isn't giving 100%, then they get benched. This isn't pop-warner anymore. This is D-1, big league football. I am not saying the wr's should be benched. The coaches decide WHO to put in at qb, along with the players. And if the coaches decide that someone is the starter, they need to play for that person. I don't care who it is at qb. If they give up on Riley in a game or two, then someone else needs to see the field.



As to Uale, I think it isn't effort. I think he has great effort and passion. He just isn't very good right now. If he is the best we have, then great. Hopefully he can get better as time goes on. If he's not, well, that is something the coaches know about, and I trust them most of the way of those decisions.

Q. Just who do you want to see come in at the OL, Safety, and 3 WR spots you mentioned in just this post.


As to the OL, I have no idea. I wonder if Walter Ka'hahahalialialialia would be an improvement, or not. He has been impressive filling in at RG in the past. I wonder if moving H. reynolds to center, and Brown to right or left guard would make any difference. H. Reynolds is just getting bull rushed most plays, and we can't effectively do anything to the left side. Most (if not all) of our "big" runs have come off the right side this year


Q. How do you want to address the coaching problems to avoid losing to teams like Utah and Utah State?
We were not ready for the season. We are a game or two away from being mid season, and we still do not look like we made it through fall camp. I think Weber needs to be let go if the line continues to struggle throughout this year, i think you move reynolds over to the line, and coaching TE's. Then you bring in a qb coach with the extra spot.


Q. How many changes would you be willing to risk making before making the one change that made the entire team more effective?


I'm not sure what you mean here. I am open to any change that is going to make us a better team.



BTW
I totally agree that Doman and Cahoon have coached like the rookies they are. Dupaix, an experienced RB coach, has not gotten any improvement out of the RBs vs what Lance Reynolds got last year. Lance Reynolds has gotten improvement out of tight ends. I would have been OK with him pkaycalling if Doman wanted to stay on the sidelines. Doman is learning. Patience is still reasonable to expect. We do not have a great RB or a great FB. Uale has limitations. I agree with all of that. Where we disagree is that there is no quick fix to any of that and if you do not make the one change needed to win football games - you lose the heartvand soul of the team.



Last year - that one change was Jaime Hill



This year - Jake Heaps = Jaime Hill - fair or not - Jake lost the team


I can agree with. pretty much all of that. I am open to any change that makes us better, both short and long term. Riley seems to be a good short term decision. I hope (but don't expect) for him to be a good long term decision, as well. I think he is too easy to gameplan against for a full 4 qtrs. But I will be cheering for him and my cougars every step of the way.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
blue42 wrote:
I don't know why people are saying the running game was bad against usu, it was doing fine even before Nelson came in. When all 3 avg almost 4 yds a carry with Kyria being the only one south of that mark I think that's a pretty good running game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

It wasn't bad. Agree. We just don't have a punishing NFL type back to pound with. We have decent backs. We don't have a super bowl MVP kind of back, not a first round pick, probably not even one that will get drafted, possibly not even one that will get picked up by an NFL team.



Not FB or RB.



But they contribute, do the best they can, and are the best we have. I like all of them and I am glad we have them - even if I wish we had a Luke Staley or the Marshall Faulk we have never, ever had.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.