Archived Topic

Why do you hate Heaps?

by ByuIcoug · 10/1/2011

Advertisement
B
ByuIcoug
I have seen the past few weeks a lot venom throw at this kid. It seems to me that it can't just be about winning. If all we really cared about winning lets face it we would be fans of other schools that win a lot more than we do. So I am wondering why do you hate him? The 5 stars behind his name coming in? They press conference in SLC? Bronco talking about a NC and Heaps being at the center of that talk? I think it has become more of a personal thing then just him not playing poorly this year. After reading comments after the game it seemed like people were happy Heaps played poorly. So what is it about heaps that you guys can't stand?
S
Schmoe
I dislike the way that Jake plays poorly, rarely takes credit for it, doesn't seem to work to get better, seems afraid to take a hit, and then how people make excuses for him and heap the fault onto the rest of the team, absolving him of blame.



I don't hate Jake Heaps, I've never said anything about his person as being bad, I just don't like the way he currently plays football.
V
vancouvercougar
I don't hate Heaps and have supported him even when he has been down. He seems to be overthinking the game, and I thought he'd complete a lot more passes than he actually has this year.



I am thrilled for Riley even though I was a Heaps supporter both last year and this year.



I'm sure that Jake has a sick feeling in his stomach right now. Benching Jake was absolutely the right thing to do if we were to win the game last night. I want to see him bounce back and show what he can do.
D
Dcr36
Mr. T doesn't hate Heaps...



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJnKm6ftPu0



Kidding aside, I've got no animosity towards Heaps. I think he needs to sit on the bench for a while, but I'm not going to take any glee in that.
S
SpiffCoug
I'm pretty sure, I've only ever criticized his play and failure to play up to even an average QB level.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
I called him selfish and a coward. Doesn't mean I hate him. I bare no ill feelings towards him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
No hate for Heaps here.



I've often wondered why people hate Riley Nelson though, some people would rather see him fail than succeed as a member of the BYU football team.
P
pjmuli
ByuIcoug wrote:
I have seen the past few weeks a lot venom throw at this kid. It seems to me that it can't just be about winning. If all we really cared about winning lets face it we would be fans of other schools that win a lot more than we do. So I am wondering why do you hate him? The 5 stars behind his name coming in? They press conference in SLC? Bronco talking about a NC and Heaps being at the center of that talk? I think it has become more of a personal thing then just him not playing poorly this year. After reading comments after the game it seemed like people were happy Heaps played poorly. So what is it about heaps that you guys can't stand?


Well, the criticisms tend to reflect the education level (thank you Bronco), AND it is very easy to take shots at public figures without taking a full accountability for ones views and the words one chooses to use.



When one takes into account the whole of the situation, I do think (1) the coaches have seen from last season and in practice that Jake is the best option to play, (2) they have seen enough to know that Riley has yet to demonstrate an ability to consistently throw well, and (3) they believe(d) that Jake would come out of his trend of poor play.



I can understand wanting to see someone else get an opportunity...but the entitled and negative sentiments sometimes shared by fans is ridiculous.



I guess it would be more tolerable for me if those who are so mad at Jake held themselves to the same standards for exactness and lack of patience in their own lives. Maybe they do...but it just seems to me the best thing to do is be glad we won, acknowledge it was a good decision, then get behind whoever is behind center next week.
D
Dwight
Don't hate him. I'd love to see him be what we all hoped he would be. Having said that, why on earth would he say out loud that playing great football would be the way he "serves a mission" even before he actually played any great football? I never heard Young or Fredette say such a stupid thing, and they had actually performed with greatness. I wonder if he cursed himself in thinking that, let alone saying it. He is not fearless, like those who preceded him. I am not naive enough to think that Nelson will be a great BYU QB, but I would sure as hell rather watch a guy sacrifice himself trying. Judging from the body language of Heap's teamates, I think they've had it with his immaturity. I really am curious to see Lark. If Heaps is benched for the rest of the season we will all learn who he really is. Mabybe he will get some grit, or maybe he will transfer. Either way I think we learn more about him by benching him than letting him play.
C
Cougy_Monster
People hate Heaps?



I'm extremely disappointed in his QB play like just about everybody else. But who hates him?



I'm pretty sure almost every BYU fan would love to see Heaps focus his potential in a way that inspires the team to rally around him. We'd all like to see him recognize errors, claim responsibility for all of them and then somehow work with Doman to turn those weaknesses to strengths. I'd love to see him have a bad throw or get hit or anything negative in a crucial part if the game and watch him get up and show some attitude and punch back.



Here's hoping Heaps becomes the All-America QB that the hype predicted.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
BYULV
I agree with all of the above. Give us Peyton Manning as our QB and if he were playing like heaps has been, he'd get the same treatment. It's all about the play, not the person.



In defense of Riley, I was anti Riley last year because of his play, but last nights showing was far and away better than anything he showed us last year. I'm behind whichever QB can get it done.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Dcr36
pjmuli wrote:

When one takes into account the whole of the situation, I do think (1) the coaches have seen from last season and in practice that Jake is the best option to play, (2) they have seen enough to know that Riley has yet to demonstrate an ability to consistently throw well, and (3) they believe(d) that Jake would come out of his trend of poor play.


Your first and third observations are correct, because they were either explicitly stated by the coaching staff or definitively reflected in the coaches' personnel choices. Your second point is fan conjecture, unless there's some quote by Bronco or Doman floating out there that I missed where they stated as such.



Putting Jake in as our starter does not equate to a dismissal of Riley's abilities, or anyone else's. If you want to state that we as fans don't believe that Riley can throw the deep ball, or if you want to say the spring ball numbers that Riley was putting up were less than encouraging, that's fine. But I don't see how you can state that "the coaches have seen enough to know that Riley has yet to demonstrate an ability to consistently throw well."


pjmuli wrote:

I can understand wanting to see someone else get an opportunity...but the entitled and negative sentiments sometimes shared by fans is ridiculous.



I guess it would be more tolerable for me if those who are so mad at Jake held themselves to the same standards for exactness and lack of patience in their own lives. Maybe they do...but it just seems to me the best thing to do is be glad we won, acknowledge it was a good decision, then get behind whoever is behind center next week.


Look, I believe in being deferential to coaching decisions to a point, and if you want to look back at my posts this season I think you'll see I've been a believer in keeping Heaps in on the basis of trusting Bronco and co. But I'll be legitimately mad if Heaps is in next week, not because I love Riley and hate Heaps, but precisely because I think Heaps is a valuable commodity to BYU. Giving him more playing time right now is NOT a good idea. I've been worried about benching Heaps because of what it might do to his confidence, but I'm starting to believe that what's happening to him week in and week our is even more detrimental to his confidence. He's wilting out there, and I think the problem goes beyond "he needs more experience" or "he's still young and settling." Whatever his problem is, I think the answer to it is more likely to be found on the bench than on the field.
I
Isola
I don't hold any ill will towards Heaps. I just don't think he is ready yet. I still think that the game will slow down for him in a year or two, but he isn't there yet.



Give him a year or two and I think he will be ready.
N
nuk13
Schmoe and Hawkwing, you save me some typing, thanks.
S
Schmoe
nuk13 told me that he doesn't hate Heaps. He does, however, hate Rexburg, Idaho. What did you call it, nuk, "a backwards, boring town full of BYU-Provo rejects"? ;)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.