Archived Topic

DiLuigi = fumble machine

by Raiderboy · 10/1/2011

Advertisement
R
Raiderboy
I really like DiLuigi. He's a quick and dynamic runner and a great weapon out of the backfield. I really want him to succeed. But the guy has consistently had ball security issues since his Freshman year.



Am I the only one praying that he doesn't fumble every time he touches the ball? It's been 4 years now that they've had to address this problem. Surely they can get him in the habit of carrying the ball in against his body correctly. If he can't do that, he shouldn't be on the field.
G
Guest
I agree with your post completely. I really like DiLuigi and think he gets a bad rap from a lot of fans, but man, he fumbles.
I
imuakahuku
My opinion is that he is not the 3rd and short back. Kariya should have been the one running on that play. JJ does fine when there are small spaces or around the end but not when trying to plough through guys.
R
Raiderboy
imuakahuku wrote:
My opinion is that he is not the 3rd and short back. Kariya should have been the one running on that play. JJ does fine when there are small spaces or around the end but not when trying to plough through guys.


I like this idea. Kariya should always be the short yardage back. I still think that DiLuigi will find ways to fumble, even if BYU does that.
S
Schmoe
imuakahuku wrote:
My opinion is that he is not the 3rd and short back. Kariya should have been the one running on that play. JJ does fine when there are small spaces or around the end but not when trying to plough through guys.


Yeah, you gotta get Kariya and sometimes Juice between the tackles, JJ needs to be a sweep and stretch kinda guy, especially since most his fumbles come in the trenches.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
That's twice at home JJ's fumbles almost killed BYU's chances of winning (SDSU last year - although that was a fumble and yesterday).
R
Raiderboy
SpiffCoug wrote:
That's twice at home JJ's fumbles almost killed BYU's chances of winning (SDSU last year - although that was a fumble and yesterday).


His fumble on first and goal on the 6 in the first half against Utah was pretty critical. Probably 7 points off the board and it would have been a huge confidence boost for BYU after the "triple-facepalm" play had stunned the Cougs to start the game.
S
SpiffCoug
Raiderboy wrote:
That's twice at home JJ's fumbles almost killed BYU's chances of winning (SDSU last year - although that was a fumble and yesterday).


His fumble on first and goal on the 6 in the first half against Utah was pretty critical. Probably 7 points off the board and it would have been a huge confidence boost for BYU after the "triple-facepalm" play had stunned the Cougs to start the game.

Good point. He may need to sit for a half or something to get his head around this problem.
C
Cougy_Monster
Amen



Every time he carries the ball I almost hope he just goes down quickly even if its for a loss because the longer the play goes on the more likely it is we'll give the ball away.



Fumbles are almost always inexcusable.



JJ and Jake can both move the ball ok, but between the 2 of them the odds are really high of a turnover before the Cougs reach the endzone.
B
BroncoBot
Schmoe wrote:
My opinion is that he is not the 3rd and short back. Kariya should have been the one running on that play. JJ does fine when there are small spaces or around the end but not when trying to plough through guys.


Yeah, you gotta get Kariya and sometimes Juice between the tackles, JJ needs to be a sweep and stretch kinda guy, especially since most his fumbles come in the trenches.

I wonder if this is one of those time you don't use Kariya because that's what the defense would expect with a run between the tackles. Throw JJ in there and they may play the middle a little softer. Didn't work either way though. I did appreciate JJ showing some fury after losing the ball though. Just hope it doesn't happen again.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
He did show some serious fire, you could tell the team really wanted that game last night.
B
Brayden Green
As long as we are playing defenses that have arms to poke the ball out, JJ shouldn't be getting the ball.



IF/When we play an armless team, go ahead and feed it to him.



Until then, Juice and Kariya and the occasional Nelson draw need to be employed
G
Guest
JJ is still, by far, our most efficient back, even with his fumble issues. I think it would be a mistake to go away from him completely at this time.
C
Cougarfan87
Di Luigi's fumbles come from three sources:



1- He refuses to carry the ball high and tight (admitedly carrying it that way reduces some speed)



2-He uses the arm carrying the football to break his fall (if you notice the fumble last night, it was because his arm was away from his body as he was going to the ground)



3-The coaches allow it by not correcting the way he carries the ball or benching his :utard: when he fumbles it.



By the way, Quezada also has the tendency to carry it like a loaf of bread. Kariya consistently secures it well, but has fumbled it too. I put all of that on coaching that does not correct the poor ball carrying technique, even when they don't fumble. I cringe every time our backs come into contact with the defense.
B
Brayden Green
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Di Luigi's fumbles come from three sources:



1- He refuses to carry the ball high and tight (admitedly carrying it that way reduces some speed)



2-He uses the arm carrying the football to break his fall (if you notice the fumble last night, it was because his arm was away from his body as he was going to the ground)



3-The coaches allow it by not correcting the way he carries the ball or benching his :utard: when he fumbles it.



By the way, Quezada also has the tendency to carry it like a loaf of bread. Kariya consistently secures it well, but has fumbled it too. I put all of that on coaching that does not correct the poor ball carrying technique, even when they don't fumble. I cringe every time our backs come into contact with the defense.


Astute points, and I agree. Quezada actually does pretty well. His fumble this year came on a direct helmet hit with the ball. I don't care who you are, you are going to fumble when that happens, sometimes. And I can't remember the last time I saw Kariya fumble. Has it happened? I can't remember...
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
I don't think there's a consistent runningback in all of football history who has never fumbled, it happens. But yeah, it happens to JJ way too often.
B
Brayden Green
Schmoe wrote:
I don't think there's a consistent runningback in all of football history who has never fumbled, it happens. But yeah, it happens to JJ way too often.


Hey, we just agreed on something.



Let's just you and I stay on this thread forever ;)
C
Cougarbib
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I don't think there's a consistent runningback in all of football history who has never fumbled, it happens. But yeah, it happens to JJ way too often.


Hey, we just agreed on something.



Let's just you and I stay on this thread forever ;)

This!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
A fumble a week for DiLuigi.



Kid plays hard and lest you forget he was practically our entire offense last season.



I've noticed JJ typically fumbles it when he's taken 2+ carries in row and gets trapped in a pile.
C
cougman
Coaches fault. They never sit him, therefore there's no real consequence to him other than looking like a clown. Maybe if they pulled him from a game completely, he might take a tiki barber approach.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.