Archived Topic

I am now a member of the Riley Nelson Bandwagon!

by TBurg Coug · 10/1/2011

Advertisement
T
TBurg Coug
As much as I hate to say it, Riley Nelson saved our butts tonight! I have done nothing but stick up for Heaps through all this but the fact is he just isn't getting it done. Hopefully he learns something from this and watches Riley the rest of the year from the bench and becomes a better QB because of it



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BYUROCKS
He is not getting it done ? want him to catch those 2 TD's that were dropped as well as throw them ?
B
BPcougs
Riley would have



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
BYUROCKS wrote:
He is not getting it done ? want him to catch those 2 TD's that were dropped as well as throw them ?

This. Is starting to piss me off. What game did you watch. What two TD passes are you talking about. I did see Jake overthrow two long balls a mile beyond where they could possibly be touched by wide open receivers. I did see a PI call on a ball so overthrown that PI should not have been called. I did see Jake lock in on his receiver and not see the safety coming over and hit the safety right in the hands - luckily he couldn't catch the pass either - rocket launch - no touch. I saw Jake hang out Apo for a concussion when he once again did not see the safety coming over because he was locked in on Apo.



I did not see any TDs dropped. Maybe you need to try a few rockets or misguided missiles yourself and learn what a catchable ball really looks like.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
Are you talking about Hoffman on the left sideline? well thrown ball into great coverage?



Or maybe the Apo pass that was thrown out of bounds?



I also don't know what passes you're talking about that were sure TDs if the receivers would just decide to catch the ball. Bottom line is that we've heard these excuses for Heaps all year.
Advertisement
P
pjmuli
Cougarbib2 wrote:
He is not getting it done ? want him to catch those 2 TD's that were dropped as well as throw them ?

This. Is starting to piss me off. What game did you watch. What two TD passes are you talking about. I did see Jake overthrow two long balls a mile beyond where they could possibly be touched by wide open receivers. I did see a PI call on a ball so overthrown that PI should not have been called. I did see Jake lock in on his receiver and not see the safety coming over and hit the safety right in the hands - luckily he couldn't catch the pass either - rocket launch - no touch. I saw Jake hang out Apo for a concussion when he once again did not see the safety coming over because he was locked in on Apo.



I did not see any TDs dropped. Maybe you need to try a few rockets or misguided missiles yourself and learn what a catchable ball really looks like.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Again, I don't think this is really fair. That throw to Hoffman along the sideline was basically perfect. Yes, the defense was in tight coverage...but Jake put that ball in a position for Hoffman to make a play. Same with Apo. Same with Jacobsen. Same with Mattthews.



As the fan base begins its mercurial love affair with the backup quarterback, I just hope they are tempered and fair in what they think and say.



Did BYU need to make a change? Yes, of course. I doubt anyone who would be called a "Heaps apologist" would argue that point. Heaps will be one of the best quarterbacks ever to play at BYU. In my opinion, he will be like John Beck...he will figure it out.



A more accurate assessment of tonight is that Riley caught the defense off guard and made some huge plays. However, before we start lifting Nelson up on a pedestal for throwing "catchable balls," we should keep in mind that the defense was a bit on their heels and most of the critical plays came from broken plays.



Still not sure that 40 yard pass was intended for Jacobsen. The winning touchdown pass was really a terrible throw...but I guess that does not matter if the defender tips it to our tight end.



If Nelson can keep having his errant throws rescued by tremendous catches or tipped into the hands of a different receiver, so be it. That is a special and unique ability.
B
BroncoBot
pjmuli wrote:
BYUROCKS wrote:
He is not getting it done ? want him to catch those 2 TD's that were dropped as well as throw them ?

This. Is starting to piss me off. What game did you watch. What two TD passes are you talking about. I did see Jake overthrow two long balls a mile beyond where they could possibly be touched by wide open receivers. I did see a PI call on a ball so overthrown that PI should not have been called. I did see Jake lock in on his receiver and not see the safety coming over and hit the safety right in the hands - luckily he couldn't catch the pass either - rocket launch - no touch. I saw Jake hang out Apo for a concussion when he once again did not see the safety coming over because he was locked in on Apo.



I did not see any TDs dropped. Maybe you need to try a few rockets or misguided missiles yourself and learn what a catchable ball really looks like.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Again, I don't think this is really fair. That throw to Hoffman along the sideline was basically perfect. Yes, the defense was in tight coverage...but Jake put that ball in a position for Hoffman to make a play. Same with Apo. Same with Jacobsen. Same with Mattthews.



As the fan base begins its mercurial love affair with the backup quarterback, I just hope they are tempered and fair in what they think and say.



Did BYU need to make a change? Yes, of course. I doubt anyone who would be called a "Heaps apologist" would argue that point. Heaps will be one of the best quarterbacks ever to play at BYU. In my opinion, he will be like John Beck...he will figure it out.



A more accurate assessment of tonight is that Riley caught the defense off guard and made some huge plays. However, before we start lifting Nelson up on a pedestal for throwing "catchable balls," we should keep in mind that the defense was a bit on their heels and most of the critical plays came from broken plays.



Still not sure that 40 yard pass was intended for Jacobsen. The winning touchdown pass was really a terrible throw...but I guess that does not matter if the defender tips it to our tight end.



If Nelson can keep having his errant throws rescued by tremendous catches or tipped into the hands of a different receiver, so be it. That is a special and unique ability.

Nelson extends the play an extra 1-3 seconds because he has more pocket presence than Heaps. If he keeps doing that he'll do just fine. And I liked that he looked to pass last night. He looked good! He looked as good or better than Heaps and gave the team inspiration to gut out a win. But if you want to wallow in the Heap's pity party that some are having around here go ahead.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.