Archived Topic

When does the Lark experiment begin?

by mizzoucoug · 10/1/2011

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
No, he's probably not going to be some sort of savior, but the season is shot. We know what we get from Heaps and Nelson and that is a putrid offense incapable of making even basic throws. Nothing wrong with seeing what #3 can do while Heaps takes notes from the sidelines for a good long while.



Let's not be the same old vanilla, predictable BYU and try something new!
U
Ungoy
For the first time, after seeing Heaps and Nelson both tonight, I'm with you. Let's see what Lark can do.
S
snoscythe
I don't think he even has a helmet tonight. I was surprised to see Nelson get the nod, but it might just be that Lark left his helmet behind tonight.



If Nelson is choice #2, we should probably give him more than one series before we pull the plug. Heaps got 4.6 games to prove his mediocrity.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
Thing is Nelson might get preferential treatment if he beats these patsies on our schedule, but he's not the guy who is going to go out and score on good teams. The coaches have got to keep that in mind for the future--Riley is not it.
C
CAFB_04-12
That TD drive was 100% Nelson and his spark. We need one more of those.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Got it for you.
C
Cougarbib
snoscythe wrote:
I don't think he even has a helmet tonight. I was surprised to see Nelson get the nod, but it might just be that Lark left his helmet behind tonight.



If Nelson is choice #2, we should probably give him more than one series before we pull the plug. Heaps got 4.6 games to prove his mediocrity.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

14 games after Nelson who won the starting job last year got injured. Maybe we should give Nelson two series. But we did and now we all know how that worked out. Someone should start a Nelson apology thread for all the crap that has been thrown at him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
Nelson is not the long-term answer for this program unfortunately. I want to beat TCU this season and so I'd like to see Lark get some reps before then to see if he could be the guy. We already know what happens when teams gameplan vs Nelson and it's not a good outcome for us. His finish last night was miraculous but only because it was spontaneous. As a starter he will never get it done for us consistently.
B
BroncoBot
Mizzou, I don't think Nelson is going to be even considered in the top 10 of BYU qbs, but I think you and a lot of other people forget that he was injured last year when he playing. I'm willing to stick with Nelson until he proves that he is ineffective and can't adjust (which happened a bit last year when he was injured but he didn't have much option with his injury).
S
Schmoe
Why is Nelson not the long term answer? What is that based on? Half a season where he played hurt and only got half the reps? We're so willing to give Heaps chance after chance, game after game, but if a QB like Nelson ACTUALLY performs and gets it done, we want to call him no good and try something else? There's a reason Riley holds all the Utah high school passing records, and it's not his ability to run. Riley can throw the ball, he showed it last night, and he can compete, show heart, fire, grit, determination, guts, and get the win. You want to beat TCU? You need a competitor in at QB.
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
Schmoe wrote:
Why is Nelson not the long term answer? What is that based on? Half a season where he played hurt and only got half the reps? We're so willing to give Heaps chance after chance, game after game, but if a QB like Nelson ACTUALLY performs and gets it done, we want to call him no good and try something else? There's a reason Riley holds all the Utah high school passing records, and it's not his ability to run. Riley can throw the ball, he showed it last night, and he can compete, show heart, fire, grit, determination, guts, and get the win. You want to beat TCU? You need a competitor in at QB.




I'm not so sure it isn't his ability to run. He extends plays and makes the defense spy him so he can't kill them with his legs. That means defenders can't drop back in pass coverage. I'm thinking his ability to run has a lot to do with his passing records in high school. He also throws a very catchable ball. I'm all for seeing where he can take us because Heaps has had ample opportunity. Let's give Heaps more time to develop on the sideline and watch how a leader leads his team. You can tell what kind of leader you are by your followers. Hate to say it, but no one seems to be following Heaps, whereas I saw plenty of people following Nelson. You've got to go with the best leader who can inspire others and actually get the ball in the endzone.



I think the receivers are a little more willing to sacrifice their bodies when they see their QB is willing to do the same. We've got to catch that lightning in a bottle and run with it.
F
fifthqb
I can promise you would get Heart and grit from Lark too. I think Lark was the player on the sidelines cheering most for the team and Nelson. But after last night even I have to acknowledge that Riley belongs on the field. I would be disappointed if the go back to Heaps if Riley struggles, but for now I consider it his job to lose. I have been saying "earn it on the field" all year, and Riley earned his playing time more than any other player out there.



I think this week will be a key to how we perform for the rest of the season. Not because we are going to be challenged. Any of our quarterbacks could win this game. The fact of the matter though is whoever gets to trot out there and actually play is going to look good. And when you look good, you play. I expect to see a lot Riley until TCU (he starts this week and looks great, and kills Oregon state anyone would), then I expect some confusion. If Riley struggles there do you put Heaps back in? Do you throw Lark to the wolves?



Big time coaching decision this week.
S
SpiffCoug
If Riley plays well (136 PER is the standard/expectation) leading up to the TCU game, then there is no reason to go away from Riley if he struggles against TCU. Each QB is entitled to bad games right?



But I do think if he struggles for a few game stretch leading into, during or out of the TCU game, then I think you look to Lark next. I'm sorry, but Heaps didn't/hasn't earned the right to return to the field until other options have been fully explored.
M
mizzoucoug
Schmoe wrote:
Why is Nelson not the long term answer? What is that based on? Half a season where he played hurt and only got half the reps? We're so willing to give Heaps chance after chance, game after game, but if a QB like Nelson ACTUALLY performs and gets it done, we want to call him no good and try something else? There's a reason Riley holds all the Utah high school passing records, and it's not his ability to run. Riley can throw the ball, he showed it last night, and he can compete, show heart, fire, grit, determination, guts, and get the win. You want to beat TCU? You need a competitor in at QB.


I didn't realize he was actually hurt when he was playing reps last season...or maybe I forgot. In that case, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being. Either way, I don't think Heaps should see the field again until 2013.



Dual threat QB's are the wave of the future and we have one who might be good enough to get us some points over the next 1.5 seasons.



New Depth Chart: Nelson, Lark, Munns, Heaps.
C
Cougarbib
fifthqb wrote:
I can promise you would get Heart and grit from Lark too. I think Lark was the player on the sidelines cheering most for the team and Nelson. But after last night even I have to acknowledge that Riley belongs on the field. I would be disappointed if the go back to Heaps if Riley struggles, but for now I consider it his job to lose. I have been saying "earn it on the field" all year, and Riley earned his playing time more than any other player out there.



I think this week will be a key to how we perform for the rest of the season. Not because we are going to be challenged. Any of our quarterbacks could win this game. The fact of the matter though is whoever gets to trot out there and actually play is going to look good. And when you look good, you play. I expect to see a lot Riley until TCU (he starts this week and looks great, and kills Oregon state anyone would), then I expect some confusion. If Riley struggles there do you put Heaps back in? Do you throw Lark to the wolves?



Big time coaching decision this week.

I disagree with most of this but agree with the most important part - I think Lark would show

some grit - same level - hard to match - I would like to find out too. He has waited a long time. I want Riley to respect SJSU - here we disagree a little - as an opponent like he did USU, play hard and will this team to a big lead so Lark can get some reps. Heaps does not need reps right now. Heaps needs heart, grit, and leadership. He can get that from seeing others make plays instead of speeches and excuses. We need three QBs with experience. Lark needs to get some. I hope our inexperienced coaches have figured out the importance of this.



The disagreement is that unless Riley plays lights out and continues to lift the team - any opponent we have is capable of beating us. And let's not go back to Heaps quite yet - and let's give Lark some reps in case he is needed down the road. I am not confident that any if our QBs but Riley will lead us to a win Saturday. Not Heaps - and Lark may not be ready. Munns - would not know what to expect from Munns Saturday.







[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
mizzoucoug wrote:
Why is Nelson not the long term answer? What is that based on? Half a season where he played hurt and only got half the reps? We're so willing to give Heaps chance after chance, game after game, but if a QB like Nelson ACTUALLY performs and gets it done, we want to call him no good and try something else? There's a reason Riley holds all the Utah high school passing records, and it's not his ability to run. Riley can throw the ball, he showed it last night, and he can compete, show heart, fire, grit, determination, guts, and get the win. You want to beat TCU? You need a competitor in at QB.


I didn't realize he was actually hurt when he was playing reps last season...or maybe I forgot. In that case, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for the time being. Either way, I don't think Heaps should see the field again until 2013.



Dual threat QB's are the wave of the future and we have one who might be good enough to get us some points over the next 1.5 seasons.



New Depth Chart: Nelson, Lark, Munns, Heaps.


Yes - Nelson was injured in Fall camp and apparently tried to play through the injury and may or may not have even let the coaches know about it. The injury worsened Vs FSU and he could not continue to play. Then he had surgery. And now he is as feisty as ever and not afraid to take a hit. The way he plays - an injury is always possible - but with Heaps as. Standing Duck - he was always one snap away from getting payed out which is why he usually made his throws too soon and the timing was off when many times he had another half second or more to red, plant, and throw. Maybe Blue is Better can get out the ole stopwatch and let us know how many plays Jake could have held the ball a half second or more longer without getting sacked if he was willing to take a hit after the throw.



Blue I said to avoid a sack - not to avoid a hit after throwing.



Q. How many plays vs USU or UCF, or Texas, or Ole Miss could Jake have taken a half second or more longer to throw without getting SACKED?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.