Archived Topic

P,T,D,A - Offense is Inches Away per Doman

by Cougarbib · 9/29/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
In the Inches Away Deseret News article, sorry, I can't link it with my iPad2, Doman said we got the efficiency we wanted in the run game Vs UCF and that we are just inches away from being explosive on offense when passing execution is layered on top of that. He did not mention needing better pass protection. He laid it right where it belongs.



QB Patience, Timing, Decision Making, and Accuracy. He also acknowledged that he needs to improve play calling.



He did not mention tug-boats, tides, or oats specifically, but if you read between the waves - I think Brandon Doman believes Better Play Calling and Better QB P, T, D, and A by Pizza are about to create a tide that will lift the driftwood, tug boats, doughboys, tights, flyBoys, and even the defenders along with all other oats and boats. Probably lift the fans as well.



He will be calling plays from up in the box.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
R
redneckjedi
Bib, I'm not sure what to make of your use of nicknames (for yourself and others) and metaphors that seem to have been adopted by and make sense to only you, but you seem to enjoy it so just keep doing what you're doing.



Getting back on topic (I think? ;) ), I just hope the explosiveness happens tomorrow, and that we get to see it against USU, Oregon State, TCU, and Hawaii. Because if we only see it against SJSU, NMSU, Idaho, and Idaho St., it would be very hard to make a claim that the offense has turned the corner.



I'd also like to see some better T from the play calling and substitutions. I think the way we were able to go up tempo in critical situations in '09 (4th down conversion vs. Oklahoma is one example) was awesome, and would probably help our o-line bust open some bigger holes and hit some easy quick passes and build confidence on offense. I know it's hard to do with the young guys we've got, I have to believe that practicing that would pay off even if you didn't do it in the game.
T
tmoney35
Cougarbib2 wrote:
In the Inches Away Deseret News article, sorry, I can't link it with my iPad2, Doman said we got the efficiency we wanted in the run game Vs UCF and that we are just inches away from being explosive on offense when passing execution is layered on top of that. He did not mention needing better pass protection. He laid it right where it belongs.



QB Patience, Timing, Decision Making, and Accuracy. He also acknowledged that he needs to improve play calling.



He did not mention tug-boats, tides, or oats specifically, but if you read between the waves - I think Brandon Doman believes Better Play Calling and Better QB P, T, D, and A by Pizza are about to create a tide that will lift the driftwood, tug boats, doughboys, tights, flyBoys, and even the defenders along with all other oats and boats. Probably lift the fans as well.



He will be calling plays from up in the box.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




After all the promises from coaches, players and media during the pre-season. I'm not going to read another article or interview until we start putting up 300+ passing yards and 30+ points with regularity.



Edit: That's actually a lie. Try as I might, I just can't resist gobbling up everything the media keeps feeding me about my cougars.



As a blue-goggled fan, I always go into a season with high expectations, but this year, it seems like players, coaches and media were driving it up even more than usual. I'm still a bit mad at all of them....except our front 7 because they've actually played according to the hype, mostly.
G
Gunk
I'm picking up what you're dropping, Bib.



Good to see Doman acknowledging improvement is needed and putting the "blame" where it belongs. We may be inches away, but that's still a mile until we get there. We could be inches away for a long time.
G
Guest
Doman improved against UCF. He had play calls in on time. Formations and player packages were clear and easy for the players to understand. He didn't forget that he could call running plays in the 2nd half. Coincidence that he moved up to the box? Of course not.



The o-line improved against UCF too. They held their blocks better and there was much less pressure on Heaps, and they were better able to open up the running lanes. Of course, they were also some of the smallest defensive linemen we've played so far, so that plays a big part in it. The blocking schemes and plays were also simplified which helps.



Unfortunately the QB play and the WR play both regressed and actually got worse last week. WRs were missing catches when the ball got to them, and we struggled getting the ball to the right area.



I'm hoping this week, against the weakest defense we'll have faced so far, that we actually enjoy some much needed improvement from all aspects of the offense.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
If DOman and BYU figure out what our offense should be, we get better. As stats show, we a re a better team when Jake is under center. Even in the passing game. We throw better from under center, run better from under center, play better from under center. Spread needs to be phased out.
P
pjmuli
Lawboy wrote:
If DOman and BYU figure out what our offense should be, we get better. As stats show, we a re a better team when Jake is under center. Even in the passing game. We throw better from under center, run better from under center, play better from under center. Spread needs to be phased out.


We also have fewer snaps floating over Jake's head for a defensive touchdown under center!
F
frdbtr
Lawboy wrote:
If DOman and BYU figure out what our offense should be, we get better. As stats show, we a re a better team when Jake is under center. Even in the passing game. We throw better from under center, run better from under center, play better from under center. Spread needs to be phased out.


Isn't that what Doman promised from day 1? Running everything from under center with less formations so we wouldn't be telegraphing our offense? When in practice, we have run nearly all our running plays from the I and nearly all our passing plays from shot gun. That is why I have been completely irritated by this offense. It is more predictable then it has ever been.
D
Dcr36
hawkwing wrote:
He had play calls in on time. Formations and player packages were clear and easy for the players to understand.


I'm surprised more wasn't made of this. It was getting laughably bad, the way we had to burn through timeouts. The very fact that the no-huddle COULD be used a few times was a surprise to me.
A
ABYUFAN
frdbtr wrote:
If DOman and BYU figure out what our offense should be, we get better. As stats show, we a re a better team when Jake is under center. Even in the passing game. We throw better from under center, run better from under center, play better from under center. Spread needs to be phased out.


Isn't that what Doman promised from day 1? Running everything from under center with less formations so we wouldn't be telegraphing our offense? When in practice, we have run nearly all our running plays from the I and nearly all our passing plays from shot gun. That is why I have been completely irritated by this offense. It is more predictable then it has ever been.

I've been thinking the same thing this year - we were supposed to see less shotgun, but I wonder if it's a comfort thing for Heaps .... use the shotgun because he'll hear less footsteps that way. I don't know but I'd like to see the transition that we were promised.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.