Archived Topic

Um, is Friday the day?

by Cougarpoke · 9/29/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougarpoke
While home from lunch i had a quick sec to look through other websites/tweets about the BYU to B12 thing. Almost everywhere says there is a done deal...but some are even reporting that there will be an announcement tomorrow! Anyone heard this? Why on a Friday? Anyway, most websites are blocked at my work...well, except this one, thank goodness.
G
Guest
Most of the tweets are mentioning an announcement on Saturday or Tuesday.



But you have to keep in mind, they've been saying an announcement is probably on Saturday, Tuesday, Friday, etc. every week for 6 months.



There does however seem to be a bit more consensus this go around.
Y
Y 4 Ever
hawkwing wrote:
Most of the tweets are mentioning an announcement on Saturday or Tuesday.



But you have to keep in mind, they've been saying an announcement is probably on Saturday, Tuesday, Friday, etc. every week for 6 months.



There does however seem to be a bit more consensus this go around.


Seems like people are all just regurgitating the same tweets, etc. I'll be surprised if there's any kind of an announcement this week. But I have no sources, and really have no clue at all what's going on.
C
Cougarbib
All boards of regents need to approve the poison pill re locking up TV revenue for 6 years if a team leaves so ink can dry before anyone does or announces anything. Hopefully BYU is invited and hopefully BYU understands INK.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
R
redneckjedi
I thought Fridays were for bad news? Big XII would not fit that category for me.
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
So, I lied. The last post about alignment that I made isn't the last one I guess.



The one thing that I know for certain is that the announcement will not be on Saturday or Sunday.



Friday is usually a bad day for news, but most of the time you don't have a national audience at 7:30/8:00 pm eastern time.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
ACC announced it was adding Cuse and Pitt on a Saturday.



Am hearing the news could be announced tomorrow. Also hearing Saturday or next week. So basically, no idea. Just that an announcement is coming.
Y
Y 4 Ever
redneckjedi wrote:
I thought Fridays were for bad news? Big XII would not fit that category for me.


Not in-season. Because then the news could be splashed all over the TV screens during the fball games, and discussed on halftime shows, college game-day, etc. I think that during the season a friday announcement is good from a media/publicity perspective. But from an fball perspective I can only imagine it would be distracting. And embarrassing if we lose to the moo-yewts.



But I'm still not convinced an announcement is coming...
F
fifthqb
I'm not buying any announcement. I don't think BYU is going to announce anything on Friday. You announce things on Friday you want to get ignored. If its on Friday, its a no. A BYU move would be a big deal, but Saturday you have so many games to check scores on and such. It would be noise. They won't announce anything during conference to take press away from general conference or distract the fans. If there is an announcement its going to be next week. Honestly, I don't see any big-12 movement happening with in the next few weeks. Big 12 needs a solid commit from Missouri and don't want to look desperate. I bet they take their time. the Independence move was in the works for years, I don't see a Big-12 thing happening in a few weeks. I hope I'm wrong, I'd love to get this behind us but I just don't see it happening this weekend.
S
stuckinbig10country
Y 4 Ever wrote:
I thought Fridays were for bad news? Big XII would not fit that category for me.


Not in-season. Because then the news could be splashed all over the TV screens during the fball games, and discussed on halftime shows, college game-day, etc. I think that during the season a friday announcement is good from a media/publicity perspective. But from an fball perspective I can only imagine it would be distracting. And embarrassing if we lose to the moo-yewts.



But I'm still not convinced an announcement is coming...


Umm, yeah. Much less distracting for the players and coaches who have to answer questions from reporters, fans, family, roommates, ward members, etc.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
How cool would this scenario be....



Location: LES stadium

Date: Saturday, October 8th

Time: End of San Jose St. game where we have just torn the feathers out of them



Tom Holmoe has it announced at the beginning of the 4th quarter for all fans to remain until the end of the game as he has an important announcement to make. The George Q Cannon is fired ending the game and TH approaches the middle of the field with a guest. he turns on his mike...."Cougar fans everywhere, I take this moment to introduce you to Mr. Chuck Neinas, commisioner of the Big 12." You can hear a pin drop and he says simply, "Folks, welcome to the Big 12".



Even the blue-hairs are moved and stand up and applaud. Oh yes, it would be a day to remember.
G
Gunk
If the news is big enough, which this is, there is no "bad" day for an announcement.
C
Cougs_Rule
Cougarbib2 wrote:
All boards of regents need to approve the poison pill re locking up TV revenue for 6 years if a team leaves so ink can dry before anyone does or announces anything. Hopefully BYU is invited and hopefully BYU understands INK.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


its not the ink they have struggled with. Its the handshakes and verbal commitments.
D
Dcr36
Joe DuPaix just sent out a tweet reading "24 hours!!!!" Obviously a reference to the upcoming announcement. No way Utah State merits four exclamation points on its own.



Tongue-in-cheek, by the way.
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
All boards of regents need to approve the poison pill re locking up TV revenue for 6 years if a team leaves so ink can dry before anyone does or announces anything. Hopefully BYU is invited and hopefully BYU understands INK.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


its not the ink they have struggled with. Its the handshakes and verbal commitments.

THIS - is exactly what I said. Get it in writing with signatures of all parties. No handshakes or details to be worked out later.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Not a word until after we beat the Lowgies. Not even a hint. Might spur on USU and distract BYU. Out of respect for USU - Saturday or Monday please. And I do hope there is an announcement.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BOID
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Not a word until after we beat the Lowgies. Not even a hint. Might spur on USU and distract BYU. Out of respect for USU - Saturday or Monday please. And I do hope there is an announcement.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I'll second that! I also hope for an announcement, but one that places no penalties on BYU's use of, or revenue from, byutv after hypothetical departure from conference. I want BYU to have the same freedom to broadcast post-game replays or live games otherwise uncovered. I assume that they are exercising due diligence to that end.



GO COUGARS!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
livin the dream
I heard from my "sources" that Pres. Monson will be making a "big announcement" tomorrow in General Conference... ;)
W
Wickchad
EM_Puma wrote:
How cool would this scenario be....



Location: LES stadium

Date: Saturday, October 8th

Time: End of San Jose St. game where we have just torn the feathers out of them



Tom Holmoe has it announced at the beginning of the 4th quarter for all fans to remain until the end of the game as he has an important announcement to make. The George Q Cannon is fired ending the game and TH approaches the middle of the field with a guest. he turns on his mike...."Cougar fans everywhere, I take this moment to introduce you to Mr. Chuck Neinas, commisioner of the Big 12." You can hear a pin drop and he says simply, "Folks, welcome to the Big 12".



Even the blue-hairs are moved and stand up and applaud. Oh yes, it would be a day to remember.


I hope they don't do this. One of the benefits of staying all the way until the end of the game when BYU has blown out the opponent by 45 points is that half the stadium went home early so the traffic isn't as bad for my commute home. Make the announcement before the game. Besides, they will be lucky to have the game over before 11:45 pm.
E
EM_Puma
Wickchad84087 wrote:
How cool would this scenario be....



Location: LES stadium

Date: Saturday, October 8th

Time: End of San Jose St. game where we have just torn the feathers out of them



Tom Holmoe has it announced at the beginning of the 4th quarter for all fans to remain until the end of the game as he has an important announcement to make. The George Q Cannon is fired ending the game and TH approaches the middle of the field with a guest. he turns on his mike...."Cougar fans everywhere, I take this moment to introduce you to Mr. Chuck Neinas, commisioner of the Big 12." You can hear a pin drop and he says simply, "Folks, welcome to the Big 12".



Even the blue-hairs are moved and stand up and applaud. Oh yes, it would be a day to remember.


I hope they don't do this. One of the benefits of staying all the way until the end of the game when BYU has blown out the opponent by 45 points is that half the stadium went home early so the traffic isn't as bad for my commute home. Make the announcement before the game. Besides, they will be lucky to have the game over before 11:45 pm.


Dang, you just can't please everyone. That would be late. I was surprised last night at the home game for Pitt vs USF last night how many of the Pitt fans were gone by the 4th quarter. Their team was romping, but wow, it was a mass exodus and there were only about 1/4 of the fans left at the end of the game. Of course that was a very late game for them and probably most had to go to work today.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.