Archived Topic

Utah State might be overrated.

by Dcr36 · 9/29/2011

Advertisement
D
Dcr36
Which is an odd statement, since Utah State is a 1-2 team, with that one win being over Weber State. Yet I know my gut is queasy over this game, and I think that sentiment is reflected by others here is well. Looking at the stats, though, I don't think it's justified.



Let's consider some initial stats.



Utah State:

Run Defense: 82.67 YPG (#17 in FBS)

Pass Defense: 187.0 YPG (#30 in FBS)

Total Defense: 269.7 YPG (#12 in FBS)



Rush Offense: 316.00 YPG (#5 in FBS)

Pass Offense: 167.00 YPG (#104 in FBS)

Total Offense: 483.3 YPG (#16 in FBS)



Teams Utah State has played:



vs. Auburn: total defense is ranked #110 in FBS, giving up on average close to 480 yards a game. In addition to Utah State, they've played Auburn and Mississippi State, which partially explains the low rank, but consider this: Auburn has also played FIU, who is dead last in offense. Again, FUI's rank is someone justifiable in that they've played Florida and Michigan State, but comparing Auburn's defense, FUI gained nearly double the yards against Auburn (307) than they did in their previous two games COMBINED (185). To call Auburn's defense an "SEC defense" is about as accurate as calling Ole Miss' offense an "SEC offense" (no offense OleMissInPeace).



Auburn's offense is decent (#45 FBS, I think), and Utah State's defense should be credited for what they did there. However, as one who watched the 2nd half, by the end of the game Auburn was essentially moving the ball at will against Utah State. It's entirely possible that Utah State's lead could partially be attributed to early-season kinks on the part of Auburn's offense.



vs. Colorado State: surprisingly, our old conference buddies are ranked 31st in total defense. Again, however, this early in the season it's all about who you've played. So far, Colorado State has played New Mexico (#79 total offense), Colorado (#76 total offense), and Northern Colorado (an FCS team that's 0-4, with a loss to Lindenwood, who I think might be whatever is BELOW FCS). In short, aside from Utah State, they've yet to play a team with a statistically superior offense. Moving away from stat-geek stuff, I think the bigger picture says it all: they're 2-1 over the worst FBS team (New Mexico), possibly the worst Pac-12 team (Colorado) and an awful FCS team (N. Colorado) that are a combined 1-11. And remember, they BEAT Utah State.



On offense, Colorado State is particularly anemic: 311 yards a game (#104 FBS) IN SPITE of that schedule. #96 in passing, #81st in rushing. I can almost guarantee you that Heaps would be looking like a world beater if we had been playing those three teams.



Granted, Utah State held them under their season average (232 yards against the Ags), and really should have won that game. But the fact that it was ever even close enough for Colorado State to swipe this one away from them speaks more to the interpretation that Utah State is overrated than anything else.



vs. Weber State -

You know what? After reading through all the stat lines, USU's performance in this game scares me way more than Auburn. Weber State's not terrible. They lost by a field goal to Wyoming the week before USU blew them out. (However, Wyoming is in the bottom 15 for total defense despite being 3-1, so who knows). They have two wins to their name by an impressive margin, but both were against average-to-poor FCS teams.



In summary: I think Utah State is an early-season mirage, to some extent, especially on offense. They have yet to assert a passing game, and their rushing yards have come against a terrible Auburn defense, a CSU team that is 3-1 thanks to a gift-wrapped schedule, and a 2-2 FCS team. Defensively, they're all right, but hardly UCF (#3) or Texas (#11), and considering SoS I'd feel comfortable putting them below Utah (#46). Heck, considering SoS I might even put them below Ole Miss (Ole Miss has passed the eye test on D in every game I've watched).



I'm still worried about this game, but it's all in the intangibles. Utah State has it in their heads they can win, and we have it in our heads we can lose. But in terms of match-ups, there's no reason we shouldn't win handily.
C
Cougarbib
They probably are over-rated and are probably better than usual but as mediocre to poor as they were last year when they kicked our arse. The only in-state team that appears to be more over-rated is BYU. Having lost 2 years in a row to the Utes and facing a potential 2nd straight loss to the Lowgies, this is an absolute must win for both teams.



Expect their offense to give us minor to moderate problems early and major problems if our offense sputters and causes the defense to wear down. Our special teams could be an asset or a liability depending on what unit shows up.



It will all boil down to Jake Heaps settling down or not because USU will try to rattle him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
WE might be overrated, but I don't think that Utah State is.



I still say tht we win
S
SpiffCoug
Utah State embarrassed us on the field last year while their fans insulted us from the stands. BYU remembers that. We won't come out flat or tentative tomorrow night. USU better be ready, because we're bringing the wood.
D
Dcr36
SpiffCoug wrote:
Utah State embarrassed us on the field last year while their fans insulted us from the stands. BYU remembers that. We won't come out flat or tentative tomorrow night. USU better be ready, because we're bringing the wood.


This is a totally sincere, not-sarcastic question: has there been a less-justified field-rushing in recent college football history?
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Dcr36 wrote:
Utah State embarrassed us on the field last year while their fans insulted us from the stands. BYU remembers that. We won't come out flat or tentative tomorrow night. USU better be ready, because we're bringing the wood.


This is a totally sincere, not-sarcastic question: has there been a less-justified field-rushing in recent college football history?

Yes. Didn't they also rush the field when only losing by 20 points against us in 2008?



I thought this comic nailed it.

http://www.bloodrunsblue.com/comics/2011-09-27-2011-9-27-Blood-Runs-Blue.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
But while bringing the wood, will we bring a QB playing scared and getting the entire team out of synch or will he have some fire in his belly? If he continues to struggle in the first half, will we make excuses, adjustments, or changes for the 2nd half?



Can fans stomach back to back losses to both in-state rivals two seasons and still chalk it up to investing in the future? Have fans reflected on what that would mean relative to exposure and recruiting?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Dcr36
ABYUFAN wrote:
WE might be overrated, but I don't think that Utah State is.



I still say tht we win


I kind of wanted to look into this using the same line of thinking that I did for Utah State.



BYU's defense:



344.3 YPG, 47th overall

Pass: 206 YPG, 50th overall

Rush: 138 YPG, 62th overall



That's pretty skewed by the Utah game. Which makes you wonder how to treat the Utah game. I believe it was a huge aberration, but that doesn't change the fact that it happened.



Has competed against the following offenses:



Ole Miss (144 yards pass, 91 yards rush, 235 YPG, 118th overall)

against BYU: 144 yards pass, 64 yards rush, 208 yards total

BYU diff. vs. avg: +0 pass, -27 rush

Other defenses faced: Southern Ill. (FCS), Vandy (#17), Georgia (#13)



Texas (201 yards pass, 226 yards rush, 427 YPG, 43th overall)

against BYU: 123 yards pass, 166 yards rush, 289 yards total

BYU diff. vs. avg: -78 pass, -60 rush

Other defenses faced: Rice (#115), UCLA (#98)



Utah (193 yards pass, 171 yards rush, 364 YPG, 84th overall)

against BYU: 239 yards pass, 242 yards rush, 481 yards total

BYU diff vs. avg: +46 yards, +71 yards rush

Other defenses faced: some Montana team (FCS), USC (#41)



UCF (232 yards pass, 188 yards rush, 420 YPG, 51st overall)

against BYU: 318 yards pass, 81 yards rush, 399 yards total

BYU diff vs. avg: +86 yards, -107(!) rush yards

Other defenses faced: Char. Southern (FCS), Boston College (#92), FIU (#66)



So there you have it. BYU has competed:

- comparable to mostly-superior defenses and one FCS vs. Ole Miss.

- substantially better than weak defenses vs. Texas.

- moderately worse on the run, and substantially worse on the pass, than mixed defenses vs. Utah.

- substantially worse on the pass, and very substantially better on the run, than below-average defenses against UCF.



Which games are most telling? I'm disinclined to give Utah and Texas the same heft, due to small sample size. 3 games vs. 4 games may not sound like a big difference, but when you account for 33.3% of that average, it isn't that helpful.



I think we have reason to believe that, assuming Utah was a freak accident, BYU has superior run defense, and good overall defense.
D
Dcr36
I'll do the offense when I'm feeling better. Looking at our passing numbers is bound to ruin what should otherwise be a nice Thursday night.
S
SpiffCoug
Dcr36 wrote:
I kind of wanted to look into this using the same line of thinking that I did for Utah State.



BYU's defense:



344.3 YPG, 47th overall

Pass: 206 YPG, 50th overall

Rush: 138 YPG, 62th overall



That's pretty skewed by the Utah game. Which makes you wonder how to treat the Utah game. I believe it was a huge aberration, but that doesn't change the fact that it happened.


Here are BYU's numbers and how'd they rank if you take out the 4th quarter of the Utah game.



Total YPG: 305.3, 25th

Pass: 206, 50th overall (no change as Utah didn't complete a pass in the 4th)

Rush: 99.3 ypg, 30th overall
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Cougarbib2 wrote:
But while bringing the wood, will we bring a QB playing scared and getting the entire team out of synch or will he have some fire in his belly? If he continues to struggle in the first half, will we make excuses, adjustments, or changes for the 2nd half?



Can fans stomach back to back losses to both in-state rivals two seasons and still chalk it up to investing in the future? Have fans reflected on what that would mean relative to exposure and recruiting?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Fans will be jumping ship everywhere if BYU loses. It will be a new low for the Bronco era.

I may even join the Heaps haters club ;-)
F
frdbtr
Last year we lost because our defense gave up 24 points in the first half and our young and inexperienced offense was then asked to try to come back from it. We abandoned the run completely because of the defecit and utah state was able to tee off on our passing game.



I don't forsee Bronco's defense doing that again this year. Having said that, I didn't forsee BYU's meltdown against the utes either. After that game, I have lost the confidence I had in them earlier. Until this team proves me wrong, they definately have the ability to completely melt down. I hope I never see something like that again. I think BYU wins this game easily tonight. I don't see utah state score 20 on us. I think the offense improves over what it did last week. 31-17 BYU.
M
mizzoucoug
Nope. I think they're legit.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.