Archived Topic

Mitt is so Mormon!

by BoiseBYU · 9/29/2011

Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
Florida evangelical Christian leader John Stemberger endorsed Rick Perry’s campaign for GOP presidential nominee. According to Stemberger, Perry was more “trustworthy” on social conservation issues like abortion rights. On Romney, Stemberger said: “The issue not that he is a Mormon. The issue is that he wasn’t Mormon enough. If he had been consistent with traditional Mormon values his whole career, that would make me feel a lot more comfortable about where he’s coming from.”



Mitt Romney. Not Mormon enough? Right....



Stemberger’s assessment of Mitt's Mormonism inspired lots of “Mitt Romney is so Mormon jokes” on Twitter at @askmormongirl. Here are some, with thanks to the comedians of the Mormon Twitternacle, especially Matt Workman--@matthewworkman--and Jerilyn Pool--@auntmarvel." MODS! IF copying these causes a problem here, please remove. I don't think they do



So, how Mormon is Mitt Romney?



Mitt is so Mormon he’s related to the other Mormon presidential candidate and half of his own campaign volunteers as well.



Mitt is so Mormon his campaign bus is a pioneer handcart.



Mitt is so Mormon he’d call 19-year-old boys to serve as US ambassadors.



Mitt is so Mormon his Israel policy will be centered on Jackson County, Missouri.



Mitt is so Mormon he’ll make the income tax a flat 10% and collect fast offerings to fund Medicaid.



Mitt is so Mormon he’ll ask the Senate to “sustain” his appointees by manifesting with an upraised hand.



Mitt is so Mormon that his campaign “oppo” team has done all the other candidates’ genealogy.



Mitt is so Mormon he’s organizing his precinct walkers in pairs to knock doors with a very special message.



Mitt is so Mormon he’d make the Book of Mormon required reading at the Bureau of Indian Affairs.



Mitt is so Mormon, that if he’s elected the “First Lady” will be known as the “First Wife.”



Mitt is so Mormon he’ll choke up and weep during his inaugural address. And then say, “I told myself I wasn’t going to cry.”



Mitt is so Mormon he’d commission a presidential motorcade built entirely of 10-passenger family vans.



Mitt is so Mormon, he will actually hang the Constitution up by a thread, just so he can save it.



Mitt Romney is so Mormon that he’s afraid to join the Tea Party because of Doctrine & Covenants 89.



Mitt is so Mormon he’ll start the State of the Union with the words: “I wasn’t going to get up, but the Spirit just carried me up here.”



Mitt is so Mormon his campaign biography begins, “I, Willard, having been born of goodly parents.”



Mitt is so Mormon, he will ask members of Congress to go home and pray about his economic plan.



Mitt is so Mormon he’d ask the Elders Quorum to move him into the White House.



Mitt is so Mormon, he asks donors to stack chairs after fundraising dinners.



Mitt is so Mormon he’ll award Ty Detmer, Steve Young, and Jimmer Fredette Congressional Medals of Honor.



Mitt is so Mormon he refers to expatriates as “apostates” and non-US citizens as “Gentiles.”



Mitt is so Mormon he’ll rename the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms the Word of Wisdom squad.



Mitt is so Mormon he’d do an ad for the LDS Church: “I’m a husband, father, and leader of the free world. And I’m a Mormon.”



Mitt is so Mormon he isn’t as concerned about getting American youth jobs as he is about getting them married.



Mitt is so Mormon that he refers to Congress as “The Great and Spacious Building.”



Mitt is so Mormon that out of “concern for the one” he’ll invite Kim Jong-Il to join the fold.



Mitt is so Mormon he’ll end every address with “hope you all get home without any harm or accidents.”



Mitt is so Mormon he’s already picked out a room in the White House for his year’s supply of wheat and beans, and he’ll require the White House Chef to rotate the food storage.



Mitt is so Mormon he’ll replace the Secret Service with the Danites.



Mitt is so Mormon his Secret Service codename will be Mahonri Moriancumr.



Mitt is so Mormon he thinks Harvard is the BYU of the east.



Mitt is so Mormon he thought the debt ceiling was something that could only happen in a temple.



Mitt is so Mormon, he doesn’t campaign: he “fellowships.”



Mitt is so Mormon that he’s installing two basketball hoops at the inaugural ball so there’s a place to hang decorations.



Mitt is so Mormon that he’ll change the name of “Cabinet Meeting” to “Correlation Meeting.”



Mitt is so Mormon that if he got elected all of the White House Pyrex 9x13 pans would have a piece of masking tape on them with his name written in Sharpie.



Mitt is so Mormon, he has four cats named 1 Nephi, 2 Nephi, 3 Nephi and 4 Nephi. (4 Nephi is the small one.)



Mitt is so Mormon that late last night he snuck out to put 5000 plastic forks in the lawn of Jon Huntsman. And after that, he heart attacked Rick Perry.



Mitt is so Mormon that he’s going to rename the 101st Airborne as “The Stripling Warriors.”



Mitt is so Mormon, he won’t deport illegal aliens, he’ll just disfellowship them.



Mitt is so Mormon, he’ll rename FEMA the Federal Relief Society.



Mitt is so Mormon he’ll start his acceptance speech with “I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it.”



Mitt is so Mormon that if elected he’ll require every state to have an Official Casserole.



Mitt is so Mormon that the Marine Band will play “Praise to the Man” when he enters a room.



Mitt is so Mormon that he’ll appoint Lavell Edwards head of the Air Force.



Mitt is so Mormon he won’t allow advisers wearing non-white dress shirts to participate in cabinet meetings.



Mitt is so Mormon that he’ll rename the weekly presidential address “Politics and the Spoken Word.”



Mitt is so Mormon that his cabinet would consist entirely of unqualified volunteers.



Mitt is so Mormon he’d outsource the department of education to the Boy Scouts.



Mitt is so Mormon he’d convene a linger-longer after cabinet meetings.



Mitt is so Mormon he’d hang a copy of the Proclamation on the Family and a picture of the Washington, D.C. LDS temple in the White House.



Mitt is so Mormon he has volunteers combing through old GOP voter rolls for less actives he can reactivate.



Mitt is so Mormon he’d ask the Chief Justice to use a quad at his inauguration.



Mitt is so Mormon, he will add the phrases “every fiber of my being” and “beyond a shadow of a doubt” to the presidential oath of office.



Mitt Romney is so Mormon, all of his green initiatives involve jello.
G
Guest
Hawkwing is so Mormon, he actually thought some of these were good ideas!
H
HoosierCougar
Mitt is so Mormon, he'll start all meetings 7 minutes late.
S
scott715
Just found this



evangelical leader, Bryan Fischer, claimed that Latter-day Saints are not Christian and are therefore not entitled to First Amendment protections of religious freedom.
B
byufan4ever
Mitt is so Mormon that he courted gay voters and was pro-choice as governor of Massachusetts :sick:



Sorry to hijack what was supposed to be a cute and funny thread, but I just can't stand him. Many Mormons think he has been ultra conservative his entire life and it's just not true.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
byufan4ever wrote:
Mitt is so Mormon that he courted gay voters and was pro-choice as governor of Massachusetts :sick:



Sorry to hijack what was supposed to be a cute and funny thread, but I just can't stand him. Many Mormons think he has been ultra conservative his entire life and it's just not true.


I don't see how a person searching things out, praying about things, and changing their mind is a bad thing or a sign of weakness. I thought you were all about loving thy neighbor and assuming the best about people (like U fans).
T
tww
Schmoe wrote:
Mitt is so Mormon that he courted gay voters and was pro-choice as governor of Massachusetts :sick:



Sorry to hijack what was supposed to be a cute and funny thread, but I just can't stand him. Many Mormons think he has been ultra conservative his entire life and it's just not true.


I don't see how a person searching things out, praying about things, and changing their mind is a bad thing or a sign of weakness. I thought you were all about loving thy neighbor and assuming the best about people (like U fans).


I don't think that the accusations of flip-flopping are fair or in context. There is nothing wrong with course correction, in fact it is a mark of an honest person. To put it in context, we have to go back several years to knock a Romney position or statement. For all other candidates we only have to go back to about last week at the most. There are no virgins running for president but Romney does seem to have the most "on top of things" campaign.



Newt: I like Newt and he has smarts and experience but he can't go a week without saying something stupid as well.



Cain: I like Cain but the attacks of lying witches (yes they are all lying) aren't his real problem. He strikes me as a little too bombastic and 999 has major problems.



Perry: Is he still here?



Paul: Don't even go there.



Obama: Officially the worst president in history (lowest poll numbers ever) and maybe the right hand of the devil.



Romney: I wouldn't marry him but he has the most professional campaign, unflappable leadership, roll up-your-sleeves and get-down-to-work successful resume. I don't care what religion he is.



Romney is looking more like the only real race horse with a winning demeanor. He is also the most Reagan-like, for whatever that is worth.
B
byufan4ever
Here's a good article to read:



http://www.examiner.com/independent-in-salt-lake-city/why-mormons-love-mitt-when-they-should-vote-for-ron-paul



And I'm not necesarrily advotating for Ron Paul or against Mtt Romney. I haven't decided who I'm voting for yet. But, I guess my point is people should at least know their candidate if they're going to run around pretending to be big supporters. I knew lots of Mormons during the last election that put big Mitt signs up in their yards, yet they couldn't tell me 3 things that he stood for. I just don't like the idea of Mormons voting for Mitt just because he's a Mormon. Just like last election lots of blacks voted for Obama just because he was black.
S
Schmoe
byufan4ever wrote:
Here's a good article to read:



http://www.examiner.com/independent-in-salt-lake-city/why-mormons-love-mitt-when-they-should-vote-for-ron-paul



And I'm not necesarrily advotating for Ron Paul or against Mtt Romney. I haven't decided who I'm voting for yet. But, I guess my point is people should at least know their candidate if they're going to run around pretending to be big supporters. I knew lots of Mormons during the last election that put big Mitt signs up in their yards, yet they couldn't tell me 3 things that he stood for. I just don't like the idea of Mormons voting for Mitt just because he's a Mormon. Just like last election lots of blacks voted for Obama just because he was black.


You mean because he's half black.
S
snoscythe
Yeah, damn all those flip floppers.



[youtube]qi6n_-wB154[/youtube]



[youtube]5jxWnlBTpc0[/youtube]



The problem is, there's not a soul in the race without "flip-flops" or other skeletons in their closets (Cain, who doesn't have any political history from which to cull flip-flops), or who isn't just plain loony (i.e. Ron Paul & Michele Bachmann). If you like one guy, you find the reason in the position changes of him, but you find moral decay in the position changes of the others.
Advertisement
J
jvquarterback
Someone before said Romney was most like Reagan - well I suppose that is true if you are only talking about the beautiful hair (although Perry would give him a run for his money). It is true this race will come down to whether the Reagan wing of the party will win or whether the big-government types (Romney/Gingrich) will win out.



For me it comes down to whether the candidates believe in freedom and free markets. Bachmann and Santorum can't get any traction, Gary Johnson never did. So there is really only one top tier candidate who has come out against the TARP bailouts and has a plan to actually reduce the size of government and that is Ron Paul. The problem with Romney (and Gingrich, Cain, Perry, Huntsman etc etc) is that he thinks government should solve problems in the free market. And he has no intentions of decreasing the size of government or its role in our lives.



I'm sure Romney is a good guy with great intentions just like I'm sure Harry Reid is, but you can't trust people with their ideas about everything they want government to do to "help the free markets along when they need it." (Romney's said that by the way)



Oh and how is this for flip-flopping while you're at it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=O1RKPfMqGOg
T
tww
jvquarterback wrote:
Someone before said Romney was most like Reagan - well I suppose that is true if you are only talking about the beautiful hair (although Perry would give him a run for his money). It is true this race will come down to whether the Reagan wing of the party will win or whether the big-government types (Romney/Gingrich) will win out.



For me it comes down to whether the candidates believe in freedom and free markets. Bachmann and Santorum can't get any traction, Gary Johnson never did. So there is really only one top tier candidate who has come out against the TARP bailouts and has a plan to actually reduce the size of government and that is Ron Paul. The problem with Romney (and Gingrich, Cain, Perry, Huntsman etc etc) is that he thinks government should solve problems in the free market. And he has no intentions of decreasing the size of government or its role in our lives.



I'm sure Romney is a good guy with great intentions just like I'm sure Harry Reid is, but you can't trust people with their ideas about everything they want government to do to "help the free markets along when they need it." (Romney's said that by the way)



Oh and how is this for flip-flopping while you're at it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=O1RKPfMqGOg


It might be time to start a fun with Ron Paul thread because by the time we get into the ins and outs of Ron Paul it will be a long thread. I will say this tho, Ron Paul is NOT a conservative so let's not pretend that he is. Ron Paul is a libertarian and not even a good one at that.



JV, if you want me to defend Mitt and Newt 100% it isn't going to happen. However, the characterizations you have presented and are found in the video are misleading, inaccurate, and uninformed. It is fair game to attack them on their screw-ups but please, let's stick to honest topics of concern rather than phony concoctions. And no Harry Reid is not a nice guy. Comparing Harry to Mitt is like comparing Mike Leach to LaVelle Edwards.



Both Newt and Mitt have done more for free markets without being president than anyone else in the running. Neither is a big government person as you claim.



I would love to have seen Santorum do better but he is not ready.
B
BYUROCKS
Ron Paul signed Cut Cap and Balance pledge, and THE NEXT DAY voted against the bill.



Ron would also leave Israel high and dry, and he has said before that he supports Gaza.
J
jvquarterback
BYUROCKS wrote:
Ron Paul signed Cut Cap and Balance pledge, and THE NEXT DAY voted against the bill.



Ron would also leave Israel high and dry, and he has said before that he supports Gaza.


1. That is absolutely correct. I assume bill you are referring to is Paul Ryan's budget. It is easy to see Ryan's budget does not fulfill the criteria of cut, cap and balance:

a) Cut - There are no cuts in the budget. Only decrases in the rate of future spending.

b) Cap- Ryan's budget raises the debt limit every year for 20 years. I'd hardly call that a cap.

c) Balance - Ryan's budget does not balance the budget until 2063. That's right 2063.

If Ron Paul had voted for Ryan's plan that didn't cut, cap or balance I'd think you'd have a more legitimate concern. As it is Ron Paul did exactly what he promised to do by opposing a plan that didn't go far enough in what he promised to do. Here's what Paul said about the plan on Scarborough's show if you are interested. Basically he said it was a step in the right direction but did not go far enough. Gingrich was on the opposite side of the debate and called it right-wing social engineering.



2. Regarding Israel, Ron Paul is the only candidate who has said Israel should do exactly what it thinks is in its best interest in terms of national defense. I actually have no idea what Romney or Gingrich think about Israel except that giving more money to the enemies of Israel than Israel itself is part of the plan. Even Bachmann and Santorum would place limits on Israel. Paul has said in the past that he loves Israel, and it is plainly evident they are capable of defending themselves from Iran or even the entire Arab League with their conventional and nuclear weapons.
J
jvquarterback
tww wrote:
Both Newt and Mitt have done more for free markets without being president than anyone else in the running. Neither is a big government person as you claim.


Let's count the ways Gingrich and Romney are against the free market. Both of them supported and continue to support the TARP bailouts. Romney has said the free markets sometimes need a little help, but what's worse he thinks government bailouts can somehow "preserve the savings of everyday Americans." That is about as anti-free market statement anyone has made except maybe Gingrich when he called Paul Ryan's modest decrease in future spending "right-wing social engineering." Both Gingrich and Romney support the Federal Reserve (we could have a whole discussion on this) which is anti-free market. Gingrich has gone a step further than Romney though and took 1.9 million dollars from taxpayers as a lobbyist for Freddie and Fannie Mac. You can call these guys what you want but don't confuse them with people who believe in freedom or free markets.


tww wrote:
I will say this tho, Ron Paul is NOT a conservative so let's not pretend that he is. Ron Paul is a libertarian.


Ronald Reagan said "I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism." Ron Paul holds the same ideals held by Reagan and Robert Taft (Mr Republican). Paul is part of the conservative wing of the Republican party while the people who oppose free markets and promote war embody the progressive wing. The question is, will the Reagan wing of the party in Paul (and to a lesser extent Santorum and Bachmann) win against the progressives Gingrich (and to a lesser extent Romney, Huntsman and Perry).



Things are looking very good for Paul in Iowa where he is polling even with Romney and Gingrich. I think Republicans are finally coming back to their roots in freedom and free markets, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens in Iowa and New Hampshire.
Advertisement
J
jvquarterback
Just an FYI for you Mitt Romney guys - word on the ground is the Perry PAC is going to come out with a Mitt Romney draft dodger ad. He had a 3 year deferment for school and a 2.5 year deferment for his mission. If you guys are believers in using politics for getting out the good word this will be your chance. I've been doing my part with the Ron Paul supporters but that's a pretty easy sell.
J
jvquarterback
I wasn't sure whether to post this under Mitt or Newt. Anyway Newt is releasing a series of 10-15 anti-Romney adds about Bain Capital. I think the argument is bunk, but we'll see what effect they have on NH and more importantly SC and FL. Here are the first three.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_evS-T-c35M



http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FVy8hT4x-_w



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH3X8ehrVJY&feature=player_embedded
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.