Archived Topic

What if: 2011 Defense paired with 2009 Offense

by Dcr36 · 9/29/2011

Advertisement
D
Dcr36
The other day I was wondering: if our 2009 schedule was played with the same players on the offensive side of the ball, but with our current defense, how would the season have turned out?



I think you could make the case that we would have run the table. At least go 11-1. We have a weak secondary this year, but of our 2009 opponents, only Bradford had the chops to really exploit that, and our front seven would have chewed through OU's weak O-line every down. UCF showed that this defense can do a better job of containing mobile QBs, so I think we could have slowed down FSU, and it's not like we struggled to put points against them.



That only leaves TCU, who really seemed to have our number. I always felt like TCU got into Max's head more than any other opponent. Still, if he had more chances to put together drives, and if the defense could keep it close going into the second half, I think Max's confidence would've improved dramatically.



Any thoughts?
L
Lawboy
8 pts vs. TCU good enough for you? That teams still had it share of issues.



Personally, I'd d take the 2006 offense, which was awesome after game 3.
D
Dcr36
Lawboy wrote:
* pts vs. TCU good enough for you? That teams still had it share of issues.


Right. Hence the possibility of 11-1.



I guess I'm of the opinion that Max had the tools and talent to play better against TCU than he actually did, but was a bit of a headcase. Perhaps the defense could've alleviated some of the pressure.
S
superchargedcougar
Imagine the 2001 offense with a healthy Luke Staley with this defense. That would be a good team
R
radius19
2001 Offense, '96 corners '11 front seven, Kyle Morrell and Andrew Rich as safeties, Bronco as D coordinator... and Bryan Kehl. Would be a sick team... maybe in heaven there will be football and that team can happen.
Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
Lawboy wrote:
8 pts vs. TCU good enough for you? That teams still had it share of issues.



Personally, I'd d take the 2006 offense, which was awesome after game 3.


My thoughts exactly. I really think that by the end of the year, that 2006 team might be a top-3 BYU team ever, behind 1996 and 1984 (and maybe tied with 1983). That team was awesome - especially on O. Pair the 2006 O with the 2011 D, and you have a juggernaut.



Too bad the UA and BC games weren't at home that year. Because if they were, I really think that people would be talking about the great BYU/OU Fiesta Bowl in 2006 rather than BSU/OU. (and as a side note - I think BYU would have beaten BSU by 2 scores in 2006 too).



Our 2006 team was underrated. And the 2008 and 2009 teams were overrated.



However, what I'd REALLY like to see is the 2001 team with the 2011 D (assuming a healthy Staley). But only with our current uniforms - those "other" unis were an abomination!
Y
Y 4 Ever
radius19 wrote:
2001 Offense, '96 corners '11 front seven, Kyle Morrell and Andrew Rich as safeties, Bronco as D coordinator... and Bryan Kehl. Would be a sick team... maybe in heaven there will be football and that team can happen.


Call me crazy, but I'd take Van Noy and a healthy JP over Kehl...
S
Schmoe
KVN and Pendleton are great, but Kehl was an unreal playmaker. He was a dynamic and unique linebacker.
R
radius19
Y 4 Ever wrote:
2001 Offense, '96 corners '11 front seven, Kyle Morrell and Andrew Rich as safeties, Bronco as D coordinator... and Bryan Kehl. Would be a sick team... maybe in heaven there will be football and that team can happen.


Call me crazy, but I'd take Van Noy and a healthy JP over Kehl...


you're not crazy, just your opinion. I'm talking about a 3 man rotation at OLB. those 3 together with their speed and agressiveness... This is turning into the 'best ever' editions we had all summer but would be pretty sweet with those 3 rotating. They are all different players and all three are phenomenal athletes and will be in the NFL, assuming JP can be healthy enough to get somebody to take him serious. Dude is built for the combine.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.