Archived Topic

8 year extension of Boise St series

by AJP · 9/28/2011

Advertisement
A
AJP
through 2023... not sure what to think about this
S
superchargedcougar
Do you have an article?
W
Wickchad
I don't like this if we are going to be in a conference. If we only have 3-4 OOC games then the only team we should have a long term deal with is Utah. We play ND six times and now Boise every year so what does that mean if we are in a conference? Pick between Utah and Utah State and have the exact same schedule almost every year for the next ten years?



I hope we aren't dropping games with ND if we enter the Big 12. Someone from the schedule will have to go though. Maybe we already know that Utah isn't going to be scheduling us after next year. Utah State is under contract through 2015.



If our demands to enter the Big 12 are that they bring Boise with us then this makes sense for an end of season rivalry game.
Advertisement
B
BYUNLVFAN
Maybe they are taking care of 1/11 of their future Big 12 schedule?
E
EM_Puma
Maybe this means we're not accepting any Big 12 invite. Otherwise some changes need to be made and I don't know exactly why you would dump deals already inked for Boise. I can't imagine if we did accept an invitation and then had a full Big 12 slate, ND, UT and Boise all in one year. Scary, but also makes me pause once again to believe that we don't have plans to go to the Big 12.
S
stuckinbig10country
All this means is that utah has told us they aren't scheduling us every year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CougarClaw
ew. donkeys. ew.
G
Guest
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me to sign a really long term deal if you're that close to signing a deal with a conference.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
hawkwing wrote:
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me to sign a really long term deal if you're that close to signing a deal with a conference.


I think the negotiations were codenamed "Buzzkill"
D
Dcr36
Apparently this deal has been 6 months in the making. According to the Idaho Statesman, there's a provision that says the $1M buyout can be avoided if "unforeseen circumstances" arise. I can't think of what said circumstances would be if not conference realignment.



If we're trying to read BYU's hand here, I would think that this does cast some doubt on the prospect of us going to the Big 12. But it's hardly definitive.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BYUROCKS
hawkwing wrote:
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me to sign a really long term deal if you're that close to signing a deal with a conference.




unless BSU is coming...
B
blue42
BYUROCKS wrote:
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me to sign a really long term deal if you're that close to signing a deal with a conference.




unless BSU is coming...


This doesn't make any sense at all. Why the need to sign a deal if both teams will be in the same conference? Therefore no deal is needed. I don't know if I like the sound of this.
B
blue42
Perhaps we are looking at this the wrong way. We are all talking about the invite to the Big 12 as driven by football, meaning we have speculated football only while the other sports stay in the WCC or all sports go to the Big 12. What if they surprise all of us and stay indy in football and move all other sports to the Big 12?
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
blue42 wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me to sign a really long term deal if you're that close to signing a deal with a conference.




unless BSU is coming...


This doesn't make any sense at all. Why the need to sign a deal if both teams will be in the same conference? Therefore no deal is needed. I don't know if I like the sound of this.


To answer this, the original 4 game series was announced while BSU was in the WAC and and BYU was in the MWC. BSU had been trying to jump to the MWC for years (much, much, MUCH better money). BSU joined the MWC while BYU was still a member (and had the PAC 16 came to be would still be a member, along with Utah and TCU).



Anyway, I think BSU is a replacement for Utah. Whittingham has wanted to kill the series since Utah went to the PAC 12. Nothing more should really be read into this.
D
Dcr36
A random thought: my wife is pregnant. By the time this series runs its course, my unborn child will a few months from becoming a deacon/beehive.
C
CAFB_04-12
This will be a good game for BYU. They'll get a lot of mileage and publicity from the series. BSU is a good football team, and BYU needs to play good teams.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
I have to believe--AND HOPE--that if there is a Big 12 in our future that we have the out or that BSU is in the Big 12.

Because if BSU is not in the Big 12 and we have a big 12 schedule and ND--This is total idiocy, arrogance and hubris all put together--or the Golden handcuff of ESPN, bc BSU OWNS BYU. Hate to say it. BUt if they keep landing the recruits they do, we will not win this game but 1 out of 8 times. And if this is a "we dont need to you pUkes" statement, then its just makes no sense. I would rather play Utah any day. It makes alot of sense and there is upside. There just isnt a ton of upside playing a perennial BCS contender on a regular basis. Get ready Cougar fans for 7-5 seasons or worse. BUt hey at least we are not playing Idaho States right??? :roll:
E
EM_Puma
I don't dislike a series with Boise at all, but it just seems to be like someone is standing in our way of seeing what's in front that we want to see. We don't want to see this series set up at this point, we are focused on wanting to know if we're staying indy or not.



I'm surprised at how many people think that utah wants to drop their annual game with BYU. I've not seen that expressed by TH or CH. I don't know yet why it is taking so long to extend those games out, but I'd be very surprised if they weren't.



I wouldn't be disappointed in seeing an end to the series personally as I've had to abide a 4-6 record in the ten years I've lived and worked in Utah. Six years of having to endure the chides and in-you-face antics of the Puke faithful has not been fun at all. If I were AD, I'd still sign us up, but I wouldn't be disappointed if they didn't.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.