Juice vs JJ

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Juice vs JJ

Post by mizzoucoug »

Okay, I'm officially back into football mode...my first gridiron mental puzzle that I need help working out.

Here's the conundrum (thanks TC!): I almost laughed out loud when I heard about JJ being named a preseason Doak Walker Award finalist. I mean, the kid stood out on our team last year, but that team really sucked. He is certainly shifty but has pretty much no wheels to speak of. He's slower than Curtis Brown and has worse vision than Harvey, and those guys were never considered for major awards. What am I missing with DiLuigi?

Furthermore, my expectation all along has been that Juice would quickly replace JJ because of his athletic superiority. However, it seems that JJ is still the #1 on the RB depth chart so this leaves me thinking...am I just plain wrong about JJ or is Juice not as good as everyone (including me) thinks he is? Or perhaps a 3rd disturbing option, Di gets the reps because he's a senior?

I can't help but conclude that if JJ is our guy then we'll have a tough time running against the legit defenses this season. What say ye?

Ddawg
All Star

Re: Juice vs JJ

Post by Ddawg »

I'm a JJ fan. He jukes & squirts very well, he makes people miss. I saw JJ play in High School & I have been a fan of his ever since.

You are entitled to your opinion - but - I think you are too tough on JJ. He will do fine this year. JJ is a talented runner.

Dwight
Freshman

Post by Dwight »

It sounded to me like Dupaix alluded that the three backs were probably not going to be getting equal action. I expect Juice to become the dominant back. Having said that, it seems like leadership, and paying dues is valued on this team as part of the culture. Where would the team have been without JJ last year. Question. Why did they always run JJ to the outside? Is it because he can pivot and turn up field so well? Just wondering. My favorite touchdown last year was JJ's against UW. I think it is funny that Juices TD during that game came after he lined up in the wrong position. I look forward to hearing Wrubell say "The juice is loose in the end zone" again and again.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

BYU won five of its last six games. In those six games here's what each did:
DiLuigi: 82 carries, 398 yards, 4 TDs, 4.9 ypc, 13 catches, 121 yards, 0 TDs, 9.7 ypr
Quezada: 76 carries, 405 yards, 5 TDs, 5.3 ypc, 3 catches, 17 yards, 0 TDs, 5.7 ypr

I don't know how you separate those numbers as they're practically identical.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

I agree with you Spiff. It should be Juice + JJ. Don't count Kariya out either. He always seems to make a good play when it's needed.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

JJ gets a far worse rap among Cougar fans than he deserves. He was BYU's offensive player of the year last year, not a single back has yet shown they are better than he is, despite countless armchair coaches touting their favorites superiority. Hype is a powerful tool.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Why choose just one? I love our three-headed monster.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

SpiffCoug wrote:BYU won five of its last six games. In those six games here's what each did:
DiLuigi: 82 carries, 398 yards, 4 TDs, 4.9 ypc, 13 catches, 121 yards, 0 TDs, 9.7 ypr
Quezada: 76 carries, 405 yards, 5 TDs, 5.3 ypc, 3 catches, 17 yards, 0 TDs, 5.7 ypr

I don't know how you separate those numbers as they're practically identical.
I like them both. It seems that one is a slightly better runner - up the gut especially. The other is a much better pass catcher. One has much more experience and should be less error prone in critical situations. Time will tell. They are both big assets. And if one of them goes down - well - we will be glad we have both of them. Recall Harvey went down a time or two and then was off the team suddenly. Suddenly the depth wasn't nice - it was indispensible. Can you spell Oklahoma for instance. Even Kariya is underappreciated by many BYU fans. Yes - Kariya and JJ are not likely to get drafted into the NFL. For Juice - it is too early to tell whether he has that potential. But they are all three very good and all three will contribute this year.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

NY Giants won the Superbowl by running 2 backs through 3 quarters, and then brought out their 3rd back with his fresh legs for the fourth quarter. Later that 3rd back became their #1 option when they couldn't keep all 3.

And Bronco has said something to the effect that Kariya is the epitome of BYU and this program. Kariya will be on the field next year.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

No, the Giants won the Super Bowl because they had a DL that could pressure Brady with their front 4 and still stop the run. They had also just played the Patriots and so were able to rework their gameplan. Then they got an extremely lucky catch and the rest is history.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!