Big 12

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Big 12

Post by byufan4ever »

jadesroom wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:31 pm
byufan4ever wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:08 pm
Ok, I'll try to make this real simple. BYU needs better coaches and players to compete in the Big 12. Due to BYU's coaching restrictions that's not likely to happen so BYU is probably gonna suck in the near future. Just like being in the B12 won't magically get BYU better coaches it won't also magically get BYU a drastically better recruiting class. BYU will still have the same honor code restrictions for the players.
You may remember that KS was given another contract extension last December.

If memory serves me correctly, at the time it was also announced that the assistants would be getting a pay raise more in line with other P-5 schools.

You may also recall that in May the coaching staff was expanded.

I believe that similar changes are happening in the men's basketball program and perhaps in other programs as well, though BYU is usually pretty hush hush about these things.

Big 12 affiliation is starting to have a positive impact. That said, I'm sure we would agree not all members of the current football staff are worth keeping on staff.
As someone else keeps saying throwing money around won't solve the problem. Paying G5 coaches a P5 level salary will not instantly make them better. Utah and TCU already had high quality coaches worthy of P5 status when they got their invites. They weren't getting blown out by Liberty when they joined the P5. We don't have quality coaches right now. Not in football. They're above average at best on a good day. Most sports not called football and basketball will succeed in the B12. But we are going to get creamed in football. Pope has promise, but just the fact that the B12 in basketball will be like the SEC in football means it's going to be super tough.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
jadesroom
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by jadesroom »

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I'm not saying that the present coaches are the ones BYU needs in order to succeed in the Big 12. What I am saying is that BYU is showing the willingness to pay P5 money which should attract better quality coaches.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

jadesroom wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:16 pm Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I'm not saying that the present coaches are the ones BYU needs in order to succeed in the Big 12. What I am saying is that BYU is showing the willingness to pay P5 money which should attract better quality coaches.
Gotcha!

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins