Unpopular Opinion

BYU Cougars on the court.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Unpopular Opinion

Post by byufan4ever »

jadesroom wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:18 am I agree with both you and the original poster on these major points: The team failed to make adjustments as the year progressed, at times the offense and defense were exceptionally stagnant (BYU should not have lost to Santa Clara and Pacific), the number one reason BYU was not in the NCAA this year was coaching and not injuries, and if Pope doesn't coach better then we better say goodbye to the NCAA.
I mean, losing two big men starters did hurt a lot. Buuuut, I know I wasn't the only one thinking that our frontcourt looked thin going into the season before the injuries. Harward was supposed to be the focus of the offense and I understand that as he is good in the post and a good passer. However, coming into the season, Baxter had already had 2 season-ending injuries and while he had potential I would never describe him as dominate and a potential focus point for the offense. When those two went down Pope didn't try to change his offense. We had how many guards and we couldn't go up tempo small ball? Very rarely did we call plays specifically for Barcello. If someone is guarding Barcello super tight then there's going to be less help defense, but we didn't take advantage of that either.

There are encouraging signs with Traore and Atiki progressing. Pope seems to be a good recruiter and the players seem to like him. But our guard play sucked. He doesn't know how to coach up guards. And he doesn't know how to adapt an offense or defense. We'd better hope that his positives outweigh his negatives because the competition is about to get a lot tougher. We'll be up against not just better players, but better coaches too.

I'll give Pope next season. But we lose out on the NCAA tournament two years in a row and that's when I start really questioning the coaching and the direction of the program.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I think coach is still learning. Hopefully he gets better.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

I too am disappointed with the team this season; and I think that there were significant coaching deficiencies - however I believe that much of Fous' development has to be attributed to position development (i.e. coaching) Someone did something right there.

I believe that BYU was a Harward injury away from the NCAA's.

All that said, I am weary of Popes' over-caffeinated "rah rah" schtick. But that's just a personal preference.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

ABYUFAN wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:09 pm I too am disappointed with the team this season; and I think that there were significant coaching deficiencies - however I believe that much of Fous' development has to be attributed to position development (i.e. coaching) Someone did something right there.

I believe that BYU was a Harward injury away from the NCAA's.

All that said, I am weary of Popes' over-caffeinated "rah rah" schtick. But that's just a personal preference.
I agree that Harward would have made the team better. Fous would have been better playing forward along side of him. With Baxter in the mix BYU would have had one of the best frontlines in college.

As for Pope it seemed to me that he and the team were doing well to about mid season and then they just went flat. That could be, in part, to Baxter going out again, but I don't think that's all. I hope Coach Pope gets his act together in time for next season.

GAKunkel
Recruit

Post by GAKunkel »

If Burgess leaves, I hope we get an assistant that can coach guards.

As others have said, we miss the tourney next year and Pope will start feeling the pressure. He’ll get a bi his first season in the Big 12. After that, if we aren’t dancing I suspect we’ll see a change. Course, one good season in the Big 12 and Pope likely moves to a bigger school.

I am skeptical of Pope and the next season. I’m not a fan of these patch work teams.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Burgess is off to Utah. I hate to see him go.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

GAKunkel wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:33 am If Burgess leaves, I hope we get an assistant that can coach guards.

As others have said, we miss the tourney next year and Pope will start feeling the pressure. He’ll get a bi his first season in the Big 12. After that, if we aren’t dancing I suspect we’ll see a change. Course, one good season in the Big 12 and Pope likely moves to a bigger school.

I am skeptical of Pope and the next season. I’m not a fan of these patch work teams.
Agree. We gotta get someone who can coach guards. We know Pope can coach the bigs. I know Burgess has ties to the U, but he left for the same position he had here. Maybe he got more money. Hopefully the new coach here can infuse some new ideas because things really got stale midway through this season.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

scott715 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:16 pm Burgess is off to Utah. I hate to see him go.
Good riddance. He's never been a BYU guy - he used BYU to get to a better coaching job. I'm happy that he's gone

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Dave Rice is available. Maybe he will come back I don't expect Madsen to take a step down.

jadesroom
Freshman

Post by jadesroom »

Barret Peery or Eric Daniels are the most logical choices.

Madsen would be a super hire; but as mentioned, he's already a head coach.