Yoeli Childs - Is he going?

BYU Cougars on the court.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Yoeli Childs - Is he going?

Post by Gunk »

snoscythe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:43 pm Here's what Rose had to say yesterday about the annual end-of-year early departures and transfers:

This complacency (in all aspects of his coaching) is why he had to go.
I think through a series of events, cancer, Jimmer hang over, move to the WCC, etc., Rose just became apathetic. I don't think it was necessaryily on purpose or even concious. It just happened.

Easier to recruit in just Utah. With the fame of Jimmer and a Sweet 16 run, that made recruiting easier. Easier to just let players walk instead of convincing them to stay.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Brayden Green »

Well, I wont begrudge him for trying to make money off his talents. Best of luck, thanks for wearing Blue!

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

BTW, this isnt a "Rose" thing. This is going to keep happening. There is a new rule that allows athletes to come back to college even after hiring an agent if they go undrafted. They have to hire an agent after getting the approval by some committee. So watch the timing. If he signs after that evaluation, he could come back after weighing his options and (inevitably) not getting drafted.

There are so many playing options out there, and for players that marry young (so that they can follow their youthful urges) the bills add up quick. I remember when I got married, had to move out from my roommates (and pay real rent), and support my fulltime student wife my bills tripled overnight.

They owe it to themselves to at least look.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

As a fan of the BYU team of course I want him to stay. But the best advice that someone gave me early on in my career was to always do what was best for me and my family because the company (and in this case the school/team) will always do what's in their best interest.

From a purely selfish fan perspective I wish the BYU players would not get married until after college!

Also, I wonder how many schools have players leave early to play professionally in a non-NBA league. I know many big schools get the one-and-dones and I know every school gets the transfers from one school to another (news flash - this is not just BYU and is not recent), but how many schools have players leave early and not even get drafted? That surprises me as it seems new. But at the same time if I could make a couple hundred grand playing ball I might leave early too.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

That's an interesting point.

I would wager that because BYU has a higher rate of married players and have families they need to provide for that there is a higher rate of BYU players leaving early to go play in Europe or Israel. It's money on the table for them.

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Gunk wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:27 am That's an interesting point.

I would wager that because BYU has a higher rate of married players and have families they need to provide for that there is a higher rate of BYU players leaving early to go play in Europe or Israel. It's money on the table for them.
Maybe, if they're hyper-discounting the future and wanting some instant gratification (not uncommon to the young whipper snappers nowadays!).

But if they're acting rationally, then they'll compare their marginal costs of staying a year (which, let's be honest, are super low in Provo, even if they do triple) with the expected marginal benefit (risk of devastating injury x additional salary). I have no idea what the salary gradient for non-NBA pro leagues looks like, but with so many additional league options coming on board and a still relatively fixed supply, I have to believe that's going to drive up the quality-wage gradient.

Bottom line: A player like Yoeli who has improved considerably year on year and who is likely to improve and have his team improve even more next year, will likely see their salary increase by much more than the cost of living in Provo for a year, even when taking into account the risk of injury.
My strong guess is that the smart move for him is to stay.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

Byucougars.com reports that Yoeli Childs is going. "Childs to hire an agent and declare for the 2019 NBA draft. What will the front line look like with him gone? Will the new coach bring someone in. Will the new kids coming in provide what we need. His departure creates a lot of questions.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Baxter is still a bit raw. If Baxter can work on his low post moves and defense we should be okay. No Yoeli, but we aren't destitute.

The biggest factor remains, though. Which will be our 3rd scorer. We need a 4 or a 5 to help down low. Not a stretch 4. A legit 4.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Does anyone in their right mind think Jimmer would have been drafted, let alone been a lottery pick, if he had come out after his Jr season? Not a chance. Yoeli is not going to be drafted, not even in the second round. IMO this is a bad move for him unless his dream is to play over seas. I wish him well, but I just really feel this is a bad move.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:14 pm Does anyone in their right mind think Jimmer would have been drafted, let alone been a lottery pick, if he had come out after his Jr season? Not a chance. Yoeli is not going to be drafted, not even in the second round. IMO this is a bad move for him unless his dream is to play over seas. I wish him well, but I just really feel this is a bad move.
Does anyone really think Yoeli would come back for a year and get drafted next year?

I agree it's a bad move, but not because of draft or basketball reasons, but because he's giving up a year of free education. He'll never get drafted, regardless of how long he stays at BYU.