Paul James

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Paul James

Post by nuk13 »

I just saw in the tweets that Paul James has passed away. I haven't seen anything on CC about it so I will try to express my feelings. He was the voice of the Cougars. He always sounded cheerful and was always fun to listen to. I believe he was there before the TV broadcasts. I remember once heading to Yellowstone on a Saturday and I was able to tune in to KSL and listen to him broadcast a football game. He was equally good at football and basketball. Thanks for the memories Paul James. I'll bet you are having a grand reunion where you're at. Say hello to my folks and my other family members.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Paul James

Post by hawkwing »

Paul James had a significant part of most of us Cougar Fans who grew up in the 80s and 90s. He brought the Cougars to life on many a Saturday afternoon.

BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BlueK »

I have a memory from when I was 8 years old lying in my bed listening to the end of a late football game at Arizona on my small radio. Gifford Nielsen was the quarterback. It went down to the very last play of the game with Nielsen throwing a deep bomb caught for the game winning touchdown. I jumped out of my bed in celebration and it woke up my 5 year old brother who was happy also and then went back to sleep. Paul James was a huge part of my growing up.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
Ygridiron4ever
Freshman

Post by Ygridiron4ever »

hawkwing wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:49 am Paul James had a significant part of most of us Cougar Fans who grew up in the 80s and 90s. He brought the Cougars to life on many a Saturday afternoon.
70s, 80s, and 90s.... for me.

"Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." -Einstein
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Ygridiron4ever wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:32 am
hawkwing wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:49 am Paul James had a significant part of most of us Cougar Fans who grew up in the 80s and 90s. He brought the Cougars to life on many a Saturday afternoon.
You are old! :lol: :evil:

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

hawkwing wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:04 am
Ygridiron4ever wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:32 am
You are old! :lol: :evil:
He isn't the only one.

redneckjedi
All-American

Post by redneckjedi »

I remember a lot of Paul James games. I remember being super frustrated with him during the SDSU 52-52 tie game. We could only listen on the radio, it was late, he'd start to call a play, wander into minutia, my parents would get mad at him, and then eventually we'd find out what actually during the play about the time the next one was snapped. He sure knew his stuff, though. I also seem to remember him having a heart attack while calling a game, and finishing out the game before getting treatment. Anyone remember what game that was?

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?