Am I Over Reacting as a Parent?

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Am I Over Reacting as a Parent?

Post by byufan4ever »

Thanks for everyone's advice. I've printed out the forms from Sno's links and I'll be speaking with a bishopric counselor next Sunday (already set that up) and will most likely also meet with someone from the Stake YM (have not set that up yet). My purpose will not to be angry or to get anyone in trouble, but to bring awareness so that the future activities will be safe.

I mean if something bad had happened I could probably sue since they were not following any of their procedures. But that is not my intent.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by jvquarterback »

byufan4ever wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:41 am I mean if something bad had happened I could probably sue since they were not following any of their procedures. But that is not my intent.
I'm remembering the paintball wars we had while I was in the YM presidency. I didn't think twice about it because that's just what we did in my wards growing up. Our ward had a box of slingshots and paintball guns in the cupboard. Talk about an invitation to sue. And nobody ever said a word to me about it in training.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

byufan4ever wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:41 amI mean if something bad had happened I could probably sue since they were not following any of their procedures. But that is not my intent.
You can always sue.

The big difference that these leaders need to understand is that the Church and/or BSA insurance coverages won't extend to leaders who ignore or fail to obtain required trainings.

You're an additional insured to the extent you get trained and follow your training. To not get trained (or to train, if that's your responsibility) is to put your neck much farther out than it needs to be.