Come on Hawkwing!

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Come on Hawkwing!

Post by EM_Puma »

I know advertising is important, but the ad in "Sponsored Links" at the bottom right when I came on site this morning was for Chinese-LadyDate.com. It had an apparent oriental female with short shorts and lacy underwear showing? Come on! Really? Honestly at first I thought it was kind of joke, but I don't think so.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Re: Come on Hawkwing!

Post by jvquarterback »

Kind of embarrassing. Hawkwing has nothing to do with which ads you see. You and your search habits on the other hand . . .

There's a classic post on CB where some yewt complained about seeing scantily clad young men in an ad only to be taught about how ads are placed.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

All I see are ads for Rogaine and Low-T supplements.

I think those are based on each individual viewer's browser history..... ;)

All joking aside, at home all my ads across the web lately are for women's bathing suits, which lets me know all I need to know about what the wife, daughters, and sister-in-law are browsing for these days.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Well unless my kids are getting on sites with scantily dressed females, then it was pretty much a random ad. I'll have to check their access and browsing history.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

How funny, now there's an ad for Eastbay Superior Gear with the Zag's logo. It's getting worse.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

EM_Puma wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:22 pm Well unless my kids are getting on sites with scantily dressed females, then it was pretty much a random ad. I'll have to check their access and browsing history.
People who view sports websites are predominately males. Could just be that.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

The ads are based on Google's algorithm. It does base some information on your search history, the demographics it knows about you (age, sex, location, etc.) as well as the type of site and keywords it finds here. I think dating sites are often times popular with sports fans and so you'll see dating type ads on here on occasion, though in my profile I've listed it to limit the amount of provocative results it returns, still there are some things that are primarily out of my hands.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

The company I work for is involved in human capital (IT Staffing) and our largest facilities are in the Philippines and our bank is in China, so I'm on sites all over that area verifying expenditures and searching for items to purchase. It amazes me the ads I see related to the hospitality industry in those areas. It's really scary, and then seeing that ad today really surprised me, but I remember there was a time on old TotalBlueSports.com when they got some "racy" ads show up and it was more before this individualized stuff. There's a PayPal ad right now. I guess they're setting me up so I can purchase a Chinese Lady Date!

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

In the last two days I've had ads for motorcycles and Toyota 4Runners. I only have so much will power. If I go out and blow 50 grand because of this website I'm gonna be very very mad (OK actually I'll be stoked but my wife will be mad)

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

ABYUFAN wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:27 pm In the last two days I've had ads for motorcycles and Toyota 4Runners. I only have so much will power. If I go out and blow 50 grand because of this website I'm gonna be very very mad (OK actually I'll be stoked but my wife will be mad)
You can do what I did with my last purchase like that. Let her know what a great deal it was, and then inform her that "oh-by-the-way, honey, you now have an unlimited budget at Victoria's Secret!"

Let me know if it works for you.

Totally did not work for me. :munch: