Unanswered Questions

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Unanswered Questions

Post by snoscythe »

So there are some interesting unsolved mysteries still out there for BYU Football:

1) The self-reported "sockgate" "Busbyland" NCAA violations from Spring 2014. The NCAA is backlogged and hasn't gotten back to BYU yet to approve or reject whatever self-imposed sanctions BYU has proposed.

2) The Brawl Outfall. Who is sitting out games next season (when we have the biggest games early in the schedule), and for how many games? Is anyone off the team?

Those two TBD items could have a big impact on expectations for 2015.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Unanswered Questions

Post by Fido »

So the NCAA investigation is over and no further action than what was already done by BYU will be taken. Here is the email I received from David James confirming so (my personal info omitted):
David James <djames@1280thezone.com>
Oct 3

to me
The peril is over. BYU investigated, reported to the NCAA and heard back in late August. The NCAA didn't send out investigators, they just reviewed BYU's report. Some player(s) had to provide reimbursement. Four people, including the Director of Football Operations were fired, forced out, or quit before they could be fired.

It is over.

It is a different era in NCAA enforcement. Google "Duke" and "jewelry"

DJ

Sent: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 8:11 PM
To: David James
Subject: BYU NCAA investigation

Did anything ever come of this? If I recall correctly, Holmoe indicated that he expected to hear back a couple of weeks ago. The Ute and Aggie message board crowd insists the investigation is open and still ongoing with BYU in increasing peril as the days go by. Have you heard anything in the media circles of late?

Thanks,
Me
Though we haven't heard a peep about the brawl fallout from either BYU or Memphis. Probably won't until after the new year.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

that is interesting. I chatted with dick Harmon this morning, who told me that byu still had not heard back from the NC Double A on the sockgate violations

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

This story indicated that Holmoe expected to hear back in the next week or so:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... tml?pg=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It was published back on August 20. That is why I emailed DJ to find out if he heard. The local radio media who had been circling like wolves waiting for sanctions to come out suddenly went dark on it too. I believe it is because the resolution was anti-climatic after all the buildup and speculation that they put out there up to and including the "death penalty" for BYU football. I could literally find no media story by anyone reporting what actually happened. The only conclusion I can draw is that no negative news is, well, not news.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Now that I'm back at my computer, here's what D. Harmon had to say this morning when I asked him whether BYU had ever heard anything back:
Dick Harmon wrote: There is nothing. Ncaa is behind on all operations but that doesn't mean anything. Byu has reported no outcome.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

snoscythe wrote:Now that I'm back at my computer, here's what D. Harmon had to say this morning when I asked him whether BYU had ever heard anything back:
Dick Harmon wrote: There is nothing. Ncaa is behind on all operations but that doesn't mean anything. Byu has reported no outcome.
HAHA Fido scoops Harmon!

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

I'm glad both Memphis and BYU are reviewing the situation and not immediately letting the boom fall. What is hard is that you have what really happened and then what was visually caught on TV. You need to dive into what was going on and when that might not have been on camera to determine what consequences need to be metered out.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

My unanswered question is whether or not anyone else out there is tired of all of this extra curricular stuff going on with Cougar world seeming to be turned upside down concerning football and coaches, etc. CougarBoard is awash with speculation and much, much more. I want to get back to some stability, but that seems like it will never happen again.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

If you want stability, don't visit rumorboard. :evil:

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

When coaches are leaving it typically happens sooner than later so they get in place for recruiting and preparing for their next season. I'm not convinced anything is happening on that front. And I don't buy the rumors that BYU will fire Bronco and hire Whittingham. That idea comes straight off planet fubar.
I think this is a case where people are speculating about worse-case scenario--like happened with sock-gate. I mean wasn't Bronco and Holmoe getting fired then with the possibility of the Board of Trustees swooping in to shut down the football program? I mean that "shut down the program" mentality hits every time there is an issue. If the BofT has that weak a stomach they don't belong overseeing a D1 football program.