Was it just me, . . . . ?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Was it just me, . . . . ?

Post by Mars »

cachevalleycougar wrote: Yes, he ran it up the middle a couple times for some decent yardage, but Unga was already doing that.
Unga can't also throw it if there's a man wide open.
Nelson's 11 yard run was pretty sweet. I also thought he was shifty in the pocket while avoiding the rush and buying time for a receiver to get open.
I think Heaps will be the starter next year.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Mars wrote:
cachevalleycougar wrote: Yes, he ran it up the middle a couple times for some decent yardage, but Unga was already doing that.
Unga can't also throw it if there's a man wide open.
Nelson's 11 yard run was pretty sweet. I also thought he was shifty in the pocket while avoiding the rush and buying time for a receiver to get open.
I think Heaps will be the starter next year.

I don't know. Maybe he can. Has anyone tried the half back pass with Unga in practice? :D Tahi had a decent long ball.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

mcgregor wrote: I don't mean this personally, but "happy feet" is typically a false criticism. We can talk about it if you'd like.
I'm curious to hear about this---I've never known what people are talking about when they say happy feet, although it brings up some funny imagery. I remember John Beck used to shuffle around more than seemed necessary, even when nobody was pressuring him, then it seemed like he calmed down his Senior year and instead moved around the pocket like a snake getting ready to strike. I have no idea why one is better than the other, but it definitely made Beck seem more deadly when he moved with that kind of confidence.

mcgregor
Freshman
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

Post by mcgregor »

Sammich wrote:
mcgregor wrote: I don't mean this personally, but "happy feet" is typically a false criticism. We can talk about it if you'd like.
I'm curious to hear about this---I've never known what people are talking about when they say happy feet, although it brings up some funny imagery. I remember John Beck used to shuffle around more than seemed necessary, even when nobody was pressuring him, then it seemed like he calmed down his Senior year and instead moved around the pocket like a snake getting ready to strike. I have no idea why one is better than the other, but it definitely made Beck seem more deadly when he moved with that kind of confidence.
A good QB makes progressions not just with his eyes, not just with his shoulders, and not just with his hips. And good QB makes progressions with his feet.

A great QB makes his reads quickly.

Thus, sometimes what we claim is "happy feet" is in fact a really good QB making his reads quickly and in the manner he has been coached. The appearance is exacerbated when you have an EXCELLENT QB that can go through his reads, and start working working his way back if need be.

That being said, there is a such thing as "happy feet."

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

mcgregor wrote:
Sammich wrote:
A good QB makes progressions not just with his eyes, not just with his shoulders, and not just with his hips. And good QB makes progressions with his feet.

A great QB makes his reads quickly.

Thus, sometimes what we claim is "happy feet" is in fact a really good QB making his reads quickly and in the manner he has been coached. The appearance is exacerbated when you have an EXCELLENT QB that can go through his reads, and start working working his way back if need be.

That being said, there is a such thing as "happy feet."
Thanks for the info!

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

CougarClaw wrote:Anytime you put in someone who's trying to prove himself, he'll definitely bring a spark. Nelson's done that every game he's been in this year.

My issue though is that he seems to be a much better runner/wildcat option than a passer. His throws...have been pretty unimpressive. But perhaps that's because I've been watching Max too long.
Bingo, why we haven't seen the wildcat with him for a while is beyond me? Good thing we brought it out against Utah State but didn't use it against TCU.

He is a horrible passer from what i have seen in gametime situations this year.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

mcgregor wrote:Or did the offense seem to gain a spark with Riley Nelson in?

Sure, TCU had their seconds in the game. But there seemed to be a different feel on offense with Riley in there. Additionally, it is interesting to see the value of a kid that can genuinely scramble.
It was just you. Riley missed everything he threw at. He can run of course. why we don't see the wildcat with him more often, I don't know. But it worked against Utah State and then we never saw it again. Sure glad we used it there but not against TCU???

Riley missed pitta wide open. he missed a running back wide open an dhe missed another receiver I can't remember wide open. He had some zip on the ball on one of his throws but the accuracy was no good. he can run, but as far as passing the ball, he looks horrible.

if max went down, we would be in serious trouble.

i would be shocked if he won the starting job next year. even a freshman in heaps shouldn't have much of a problem beating him out.

mcgregor
Freshman
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

Post by mcgregor »

jonnylingo wrote: It was just you. Riley missed everything he threw at. He can run of course. why we don't see the wildcat with him more often, I don't know. But it worked against Utah State and then we never saw it again. Sure glad we used it there but not against TCU???

Riley missed pitta wide open. he missed a running back wide open an dhe missed another receiver I can't remember wide open. He had some zip on the ball on one of his throws but the accuracy was no good. he can run, but as far as passing the ball, he looks horrible.

if max went down, we would be in serious trouble.

i would be shocked if he won the starting job next year. even a freshman in heaps shouldn't have much of a problem beating him out.
Two minor things:

I think you've misunderstood my original post. I'm sure you didn't do it on purpose.

My point was that to me, I felt he brought in a "spark." I spoke nothing of his talent.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong--I am no expert on football--but the Wildcat formation is employed by splitting your QB out, and having another player take the shotgun snap. Thus, Riley did not in fact run a "wildcat" formation. He's simply a running QB.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

mcgregor wrote: ...That being said, there is a such thing as "happy feet."
I always thought of "happy feet" as beginning to scramble to avoid a sack too quickly, while your O-Line is still in control of the rushing defenders... Playing scared.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

jonnylingo wrote: It was just you. Riley missed everything he threw at.
5 passes. 2 completions. 26 yards. 13 yards per completions. 5.2 yards per pass.
I'm not sure how much you can take from that, in such limited playing time.

Max Hall had 9 yards per completions, 5.8 yards per pass.