BYU Cougars on the court.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Ques Glover Leaves Without Playing a Game

Post by byufan4ever »

Sources: BYU Point Guard Ques Glover To Enter Transfer Portal

Glover was one of three transfer portal pickups for BYU this off-season and was expected to compete with Dallin Hall for the starting PG. Why did he leave? VTF says it's due to NIL. I wonder if the BYU culture was just not a good fit for him too. But, I hope that Dallin Hall was just absolutely outplaying him so he saw that he was not going to be getting lots of minutes. I mean, that's good for Hall and for the team if Hall has really improved that much. But, it's still bad for our depth.

BYU has two open spots so it'll be interesting to see what, if any, additions they make to the roster before the season begins.

According to on3.com (Transfer Portal Rankings) BYU was ranked 19th as a team in the transfer portal. I believe that it looks at players that have both transferred into and out of the program for its rankings. Ques Glover is rated as a 3 star / 88 by 247 sports and had been heavily recruited by Ole Miss.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
scott715
TV Analyst

Re: Ques Glover Leaves Without Playing a Game

Post by scott715 »

I heard it was over NLI money. Maybe he'll stay if he shake enough money out of the tree.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I don't think it's right that Ques spent time on BYU campus, practices with the team, and gets to transfer to another school without any penalty or having to sit out. Doesn't sit well with me.

I am all for the student-athletes being able to make money however they can, but the NIL is really starting to kill the sport, IMO. In this Deseret News Article it says:
Pope explained 30% to 40% of his time as head coach right now is spent working on the NIL challenge. “It’s what college sports is all about right now.”
So instead of coaching our players and preparing for the upcoming season, our head coach has to spend his time fundraising. I hate it.

Back in March, the The NIL Deal ran an article where Pope flat out said that we would lose recruits because of the NIL.
When asked if BYU is losing recruiting battles because of NIL, Pope responded, “The short answer is yes. Without getting into specifics, yes.”
BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe has emphasized that the university’s NIL strategy has to adhere to the values of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Though no specifics have been provided, he’s mentioned the need for team-wide deals over individual ones.
“It’s probably never going to be [part of the process at BYU]. I don’t know if I can’t say never, but [at least] right now. … It’s going to be a complicated thing here at BYU. It’s not traditionally the way that we are,” Pope told the Salt Lake Tribune. “It’s just a very new concept here. I think it’s a concept that donors and fans are appropriately cautious about evaluating.

“We are not on the cutting edge right now of NIL. And that’s OK. That’s probably appropriate for BYU. I do think we’ll continue to grow there. And I do think it’s a massively important part of college athletics right now.”

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Well he signed with Kansas St for $200K to be a bench player. Money over playing time.