BSU

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BSU

Post by BoiseBYU »

Thought I’d take a moment to bask in a very nice win, but knowing my many many fans (2?) clamor for review, here goes :). We were the better team. The score is not reflective. Things that jumped out at me: our rush defense was better than BSU’s, our time of possession was, refreshingly, for us. I still do not like our fourth down play calling (or third and one when it is the last play of the half), but the play calling was outstanding. (Even the fourth down pass for the win was high risk and it took an unbelievable play by Puka to win it). The screen passes were especially great calls. Where were these refs from? They reffed like dears in the headlights. I’d really like to see better camera angles on Lopini’s rush at the end of the first half. The ball seemed to break the pane yes? I know I’ve bagged on the OLine for our rushing, but kudos to them for pass blocking. Hall threw 47 times and did BSU get much pressure at all? I don’t think so. And Jaren—his throws were tight. He seemed more the Jaren of the first of the year. His 48 yard run was a thing of beauty. This was a team victory. Credit to the coaches and players for fighting hard through ALOT of adversity. And to break the losing streak at BSU is a signature moment. That was the FIRST time in all the years we have played there that we have ever won in front of a rabid noisy crowd. Very satisfying win.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: BSU

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

This was one a fun and satisfying win. Anytime you beat a regional rival, that is good, no matter what the rest of the season looks like. Nice job going into a game where a lot of doubt about the team was going on, but these Cougs played fantastic.

I loved the defense getting stops on the run. This part of the game was huge. I loved the big time plays on offense. I think Lopini was in, and these refs were too timid to call it. Puka's catch on the fade to win was downright historical. I think an autographed framed pic of the still with the toe touch while his body is nearly horizontal would look nice on the wall. I want to know more about that play call decision. Was that play prepared as one to call when the game is on the line? Was that play called because of something we saw on the Boise St D? I dunno.

This win was really good for the program and a total team win. Jaren's passes and going through progressions during this game was much better and will help his NFL stock. Hinckley Ropati's screen pass and run for a touchdown was a thing of beauty. Perfect call that caught the blitz out of position for a big gain.

Glad the Cougs finally get some rest and heal up going into the bye week. Seeing how the Cougs responded to beat BSU, I think it is a safe bet we don't lose another game this season. Utah Tech will go fine, and the trip to Stanford looks manageable. I think we win our bowl game this year too. This team should finish 8-5 and on a decently positive note to end the independence era.

Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Sammich »

Good game. Excited to see what Ropati can do on the field, that guy is a player. The coaches have been saying for weeks that Jaren has been fully healthy, but something was definitely off before---but now he seems to be back to where he used to be.

vancouvercougar
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by vancouvercougar »

It was definitely a different Jaren Hall on Saturday compared to the previous 4 games.