San Francisco

BYU Cougars on the court.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

San Francisco

Post by BoiseBYU »

BYU has turned into a hot mess. I liked that Pope switched George for Lohner only to see George play his worst game if the season. I’m no expert but the offense is what exactly? After Barcelo we have no one who can reliably shoot and score. And the weave is NEVER going to work when screens aren’t set and the switch offs are happening 35+ feet from the basket. We do that to no avail and then one or more guys tries something one on one and the results show. SF has two really good guards and we really have no answer for their big man, what without Harwood and Baxter. Traore and Atiki are good players. They just aren’t centers. I do not like starting substitutions after 3 minutes. It takes longer than that to find rhythms. Sigh. Oh and Knell and Johnson have digressed. Hot mess is what we have right now. A hot mess.

I might add though that any coach losing as outstanding of players as Baxter and Harwood, any coach (except Gonzaga maybe) would have a very difficult time adjusting. Those were huge loses.

Colee55
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: San Francisco

Post by Colee55 »

84 points against zaga to 59 vs SF. need some consistency.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

True losing two big men, one a starter, and one a bench player with significant minutes hurts. Buuuuut, many people thought we were light on big men before the season started before those injuries happened. Again, that's on the coach. I laughed during the USF game when the commentators said "BYU likes to play an up tempo game." Uh, nope. Some of the Rose teams did. Haws talked about it on BYUtv saying he preferred Rose's up tempo offenses more than what Pope is using (and that's the closest that I've EVER seen a BYUtv sports show diss a BYU coach...). IF Harward and Baxter were going to be the focus of the offense then a slower pace is fine. But guess what?? We haven't had them for months now and we're still running this crappy offense that isn't working. We need to play fast up tempo to take advantage of our large number of guards.

We showed defensive intensity for like the first two or three minutes and then never saw a spark of it until we made a little mini run in the second half when we were down by 17. And the FTs!! We could have kept the game close if we could have been just halfway decent at making them.

Are we losing because we are less talented or because we are just weak mentally? Or because of our coach?

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I would like to see some defense presses.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

I would sure think Harward would be starting now. If he and Baxter were playing we would have given Gonzaga a much better game. We miss them.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

scott715 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:25 pm I would like to see some defense presses.
Gonzaga was pressing us when they were up by 20+. When do we ever press? Going back to the Rose era I can probably count on one hand the number of times we actually pressed for at least two possessions in a row. I mean it can't be worse than the defense that we're playing right now...

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

It worked on 'SF at the end. I like changing the defense once in a while. Throw a zone up once.