Former interim Utah State HC Frank Maile lands at Boise St.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Former interim Utah State HC Frank Maile lands at Boise St.

Post by Fido »

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Former interim Utah State HC Frank Maile lands at Boise St.

Post by hawkwing »

BYU was foolish for letting him slip through their fingers. He could have had the same position at BYU.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

hawkwing wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:12 am BYU was foolish for letting him slip through their fingers. He could have had the same position at BYU.
But that would mean that Tuiaki would have to relinquish his Dline coaching duties and we got rid of a better Dline coach to put him there. Yeah, not going to happen.

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt

Post by E-Zone15 »

hawkwing wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:12 am BYU was foolish for letting him slip through their fingers. He could have had the same position at BYU.
The word is Coach Kevin Clune is a done deal, they waiting for the OL Coach to be decided and then both will be announced. It sounds like the leaders for OL are Coach TJ Woods (2020 Utah St/does not sound like they are retaining him) and Coach Brent Myers (Weber St), but there could be others like Coach Bob Connelly at Northern Arizona (experienced coach, OL coach at both Alabama and USC under Sark).

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

But we want Pugh.

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt

Post by E-Zone15 »

scott715 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:26 pm But we want Pugh.
I've kind of changed my mind on Coach Pugh and wonder how much BYU's improvement was Coach Grime vs Coach Pugh and or Mateos. Did you know Coach Mateos did not have a job when BYU hired him (he was not retained at Texas St with the coaching staff shake up).

Look at Coach Ryan Pugh's coaching history:
2012 Auburn: OL GA
2013 Virginia Tech: OL GA
2014 Cincinnati: OL GA
2015 LSU: OL GA
2016-17 UTSA: OL Coach
2018 BYU: OL Coach
2019-20 Troy: co-OC/ OL Coach

So, we see he does not have much OL Coaching experience (5 years/before BYU 2 years) and his longest stay at a program has been 2 years (UTSA & Troy). How good has the Troy OL been the last 2 years?
Another thing to think about is how good of a recruiter is he? Do you remember one recruit he was the main reason for coming to BYU? How many years would he coach at BYU before jumping to his next job? The last time it was after his first year.

Look at Coach Eric Mateos' coaching history:
2011 Southwest Baptist: Assistant OL Coach
2012 Hutchinson Community College: OL Coach/ Recruiting Coordinator
2013-15 Arkansas: OL GA
2016 LSU: TE/ OL GA
2017-18 Texas St: OL Coach
2019-20 BYU: OL Coach

Coach Mateos only had 2 years experience of OL Coach before BYU also and they both were GA's for a year under Coach Grimes. So... one could kind of see how the success of BYU could have mainly been do to Coach Grimes (2014-17 LSU: Run Game Coordinator/ OL Coach) more than the other 2 former Coach Grimes GA's.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

E-Zone15 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:53 pm
I've kind of changed my mind on Coach Pugh and wonder how much BYU's improvement was Coach Grime vs Coach Pugh and or Mateos. Did you know Coach Mateos did not have a job when BYU hired him (he was not retained at Texas St with the coaching staff shake up).

So, we see he does not have much OL Coaching experience (5 years/before BYU 2 years) and his longest stay at a program has been 2 years (UTSA & Troy). How good has the Troy OL been the last 2 years?
Another thing to think about is how good of a recruiter is he? Do you remember one recruit he was the main reason for coming to BYU? How many years would he coach at BYU before jumping to his next job? The last time it was after his first year.

Coach Mateos only had 2 years experience of OL Coach before BYU also and they both were GA's for a year under Coach Grimes. So... one could kind of see how the success of BYU could have mainly been do to Coach Grimes (2014-17 LSU: Run Game Coordinator/ OL Coach) more than the other 2 former Coach Grimes GA's.
Well, if I am consistent, I say that the OL improvement is mostly on Grimes since the last time BYU had a line this good Grimes was our OL coach. Frankly, I'm not impressed with any of the names listed to replace Mateos/Grimes.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

Okay I am convinced. We want Grimes. I can't fault Pugh for leaving the Y to move up to OC. It was new and I am not concerned that he did not excel. Grimes did not excel either as a new OC.

I rather get the best coach we can even if they only last a couple of years. We need to keep the OL improving now. This next year is pretty important to stay ranked and reestablish ourselves.

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt

Post by E-Zone15 »

frdbtr wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:34 pm
E-Zone15 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:53 pm

Well, if I am consistent, I say that the OL improvement is mostly on Grimes since the last time BYU had a line this good Grimes was our OL coach. Frankly, I'm not impressed with any of the names listed to replace Mateos/Grimes.
I think BYU would do well with any of the 3 (TJ Woods, Brent Myers, & Bob Connelly), Coach Grimes is not coming back. I don't any of the 3 are the next Coach Mark Weber, sounding good at the time of the hire... But more or less got the benefit of Coach Grimes' coaching up the OL, IMHO the players Coach Grimes left in Coach Weber's care regressed (think Dallas Reynolds went from a draft pick in his Jr year to undrafted as a Sr).

TJ Woods information
Rushing Offense per Game Nationally ranked
2011 @Utah St #6 a improvement of 35 spots from the year before
2012 @Utah St #26
2013 @Wisconsin #8 a improvement of 5 spots from the year before
2014 @Wisconsin #4
2015 @Oregon State #60 a improvement of 53 spots from the year before
2016 @Oregon State #49
2017 @Oregon State #98 (they were a hot mess as a team that year)
2018 @Western Kentucky #104 a decrease of 52 spots (he had no returning starters to work with from the year before and also had no Sr OL man on the team)
2019 @Utah State #73 a decrease of 42 spots (it seems like in 2018 Utah St had a lot OL starters, but still was able to produce 4 OL that received All MWC honors)
2020 @Utah St #88 (another hot mess year where Anderson did not make it through the season as Head Coach, aka 2017)

Sacks Allowed per Game Nationally ranked
2011 @Utah St #34 a improvement of 32 spots from the year before
2012 @Utah St #31
2013 @Wisconsin #15 a improvement of 65 spots from the year before
2014 @Wisconsin #10
2015 @Oregon State #27 a improvement of 78 spots from the year before
2016 @Oregon State #51
2017 @Oregon State #23
2018 @Western Kentucky #89 a improvement of 40 spots from the year before
2019 @Utah State #44 a decrease of 40 spots from the year before
2020 @Utah St #36

From his Utah St Bio: https://utahstateaggies.com/sports/foot ... -woods/465
"Currently, eight of Woods’ former offensive line pupils are active on NFL rosters, including Beau Benzschawel (Detroit Lions), Blake Brandel (Minnesota Vikings), Michael Deiter (Miami Dolphins), Larsen (Carolina Panthers), Havenstein (Los Angeles Rams), Harlow (Atlanta Falcons), Seumalo (Philadelphia Eagles) and Tyler Marz (Carolina Panthers)."

I like Coach Brent Myers the most, maybe because he has produce NFL drafted player while at Weber St (I don't think BYU has produced any over this same time frame).