NY6 Possibility

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

NY6 Possibility

Post by EM_Puma »

:~( Only a small window

From the spreadsheet below, BYU's chance to break into a NY6 bowl very limited.

Looking at the top 6 teams, plus Georgia, I'd say they were all a lock, unless some HUGE upset came.

Here's is the BIG problem. There are very few games left and no one is playing anyone. Losing a P5 conference championship won't knock teams out of top 12, except possibly B12 championship game.

A #10 pretty much locks BYU and I believe that is what the CFP selection committee had in mind when they ranked BYU clear back at a #14 in the initial ranking. We get there, probability is high. CFP selection committee doesn't seem to care what others (that means anyone other than P5's and the 1 G5 team) think on how they have set up these rankings, so even getting a #12, they would probably bypass BYU (a #12 has been bypassed once in short 5-year history). #11 is a little tougher for them to look beyond, but a #10 pretty much cements it.

So, we need loses by Indiana, Oklahoma, Miami or Iowa State. Of those 4 teams, only Oklahoma and Iowa State probably will make a conference championship game. Indiana beats Wisconsin and Purdue and they'll be locked in. Miami beats Duke, UNC and Georgia Tech and they're locked in. They control their destiny.

Teams we have to cheer for:
Wisconsin to beat Indiana ( I would love to see Wisconsin win, and then lose to Iowa. Wisconsin not going to make conference championship game unless B1G changes conference rules, but if they beat both Indiana and Iowa, they could easily jump us. You need 6 games to qualify for conference championship game and Wisconsin doesn't have but 2 on their remaining schedule (they are currently 2-1)). I don't believe them beating Indiana propels them past BYU, unless we lose, but who knows. Purdue won't be a pushover as that is Indiana's in-state rival, but if they beat Wisconsin, they might still be allowed a loss to Purdue, but I doubt it.

North Carolina to beat Miami (or Duke/Georgia Tech, which isn't very probable)

WVU to beat Iowa State or Iowa State to lose in conference championship.

Oklahoma to lose in conference championship

I really believe that playing and beating CCU was needed to help us not lose ground, but it will take a loss by Indiana, Oklahoma, Miami or Iowa St to get us any movement forward at all. Oklahoma or Iowa State are guaranteed one more loss as they will play in conference championship. Hope it is a big win by one or other.

Of course, this all ends if we lose to CCU or SDSU. We beat them both, and a #12 is pretty certain, but could still leave us highly vulnerable for NY6.
Attachments
CFP possibilities.JPG

EM_Puma
Pro

Re: NY6 Possibility

Post by EM_Puma »

Costal Carolina, even with a win over BYU, has at this point no chance in Hades to make a NY6 game.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

EM_Puma wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:50 pm Costal Carolina, even with a win over BYU, has at this point no chance in Hades to make a NY6 game.
I got to thinking on this. If Cincinnati loses to Tulsa in conference championship, then I guess Costal Carolina, with win against BYU could be the G5 rep. I don't think Marshall will jump CCU with beating Rice, FIU and conference championship.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

I am shocked beyond reason that Cincinnati was even considering a game with BYU.

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/12/ ... i-bearcats

The only logic I can see is that they saw a win over BYU at this point was their only shot at the CFP. They would have no other opportunity to play anyone else of any weight. Regardless, COVID-19 strikes again :~(

KingCoug
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by KingCoug »

Moot now.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
GAKunkel
Recruit

Post by GAKunkel »

Here comes some no-name bowl, again.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... e-respect/

BYU - It was a brilliant play by athletic director Tom Holmoe, going to Coastal Carolina for the Cougars' best shot at a New Year's Six bowl. BYU is out of the running, but the publicity this season will pay off down the road. Coach Kalani Sitake has turned the program around. BYU's age of independence is starting to pay off.

dsmith1212
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by dsmith1212 »

Fido wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:43 pm https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... e-respect/

BYU - It was a brilliant play by athletic director Tom Holmoe, going to Coastal Carolina for the Cougars' best shot at a New Year's Six bowl. BYU is out of the running, but the publicity this season will pay off down the road. Coach Kalani Sitake has turned the program around. BYU's age of independence is starting to pay off.
For which I, for one, am thankful.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

https://watchstadium.com/brett-mcmurphy ... 2-08-2020/
Brett McMurphy's latest bowl projections are not very appetizing for BYU fans:

First Responder Bowl – Dec. 26 (Group of 5)
Projection: UTSA vs. BYU

Really? A rematch? I hope not.
Although with so many games being cancelled I guess we should be glad to get any bowl game.
Bowls that have been canceled this year:
•Bahamas Bowl
•Fenway Bowl
•Hawaii Bowl
•Holiday Bowl
•Las Vegas Bowl
•Los Angeles Bowl
•Redbox Bowl
•Pinstripe Bowl
•Quick Lane Bowl
•Sun Bowl