I've given up hope on adding a game

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

I've given up hope on adding a game

Post by Fido »

I don't think it will happen this week or on 12/19 either. Nobody wants to take the chance at losing to an independent team late in the year with conference auto-bids on the line. There has also been rumblings about part of the reason BYU is getting dissed by the CFP committee is they look at it as BYU is an independent and selected an easy schedule--and if they make a big game they keep the money all for themselves instead of splitting with a conference. So BYU isn't playing by "the rules" that conference teams do. I'm resigned to game 10 against San Diego State and a generic bowl game. :~(

vancouvercougar
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: I've given up hope on adding a game

Post by vancouvercougar »

As much as I’ve hoped for an NY6 game all year, right now I just hope we get any bowl game.

We could get shafted for a “run of the mill” bowl too.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

Fido wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:52 pm I don't think it will happen this week or on 12/19 either. Nobody wants to take the chance at losing to an independent team late in the year with conference auto-bids on the line. There has also been rumblings about part of the reason BYU is getting dissed by the CFP committee is they look at it as BYU is an independent and selected an easy schedule--and if they make a big game they keep the money all for themselves instead of splitting with a conference. So BYU isn't playing by "the rules" that conference teams do. I'm resigned to game 10 against San Diego State and a generic bowl game. :~(
New Mexico or Bust!

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Of course as soon as I said that, twitter is blowing up with hints of a scheduling announcement....

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

This would be this Saturday in place of Liberty who is having Covid issues and may not be able to play. CC is also hosting college game day so the exposure would be awesome.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Ok, I need to pump the brakes a bit:

Nicole Auerbach 😷
@NicoleAuerbach
·
1m
BYU and Coastal Carolina have had talks about playing each other on Saturday, sources tell @TheAthleticCFB. But everyone first needs to find out if Liberty is able to play Coastal, as planned. Flames have COVID-19 issues.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Wow.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

The tests results should be back in the morning.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

ESPN makes it official https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...s-opponent

BYU will replace Liberty as Coastal Carolina's opponent on Saturday after COVID-19 issues prevented the Flames from playing in the game.

The game will kickoff at 5:30 p.m. ET and air on ESPNU.

Several Liberty players and staff members, including star quarterback Malik Willis, tested positive or were quarantined this week because of COVID-19. The Flames (9-1) had still hoped to play in the game, but school medical officials would not allow it and paused all team-related activities after Wednesday's test results were returned Thursday morning.

BYU (9-0) and Coastal Carolina (9-0) are both ranked this week in the College Football Playoff rankings. The Cougars are No. 13 and the Chanticleers No. 18.

BYU, which last played Nov. 21, had been looking for another opponent. The Cougars weren't scheduled to play again until Dec. 12 against San Diego State.

"We're grateful that this game between our two teams could be put together in such a timely fashion." BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe said in a statement. "It's good to have a partner like ESPN that can help put together such a meaningful game at this point of the season."

ESPN's College GameDay is set to broadcast Saturday from the Coastal Carolina campus.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Hope springs eternal!