Next order of business: 2019 Early Signing Period

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Next order of business: 2019 Early Signing Period

Post by Fido »

So the early signing period happens from Wed to Fri. With Gentry committed to Virginia now, the biggest name I know of still outstanding is Tate Romney, ILB with offers from Arizona, Cal, Colorado, Kansas State, Memphis, Utah, Vanderbilt, Washington State, and Yale in addition to BYU--though they predict he will be at BYU with his brothers. The others who had offers seem to have already announced a commitment or are borderline guys.

There is currently 22 verbal commitments with Syracuse HS' Athlete Ty Burke being the most recent.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

I had seen over on CB that Rocky Aitogi Fort Scott, KS (Fort Scott CC, Junior) will not be coming to BYU. I thought he had an awesome story and looked forward to his becoming a Cougar.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

EM_Puma wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:54 pm I had seen over on CB that Rocky Aitogi Fort Scott, KS (Fort Scott CC, Junior) will not be coming to BYU. I thought he had an awesome story and looked forward to his becoming a Cougar.
Thanks for that update. I checked and he isn't on the 247 BYU commit list anymore and shows that he decommitted from BYU on December 3. CB also reporting that on Ben Criddle's show they said it was academics that caused an issue.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Great story on JC WR commit Christopher Jackson:
https://www.deseret.com/sports/2019/12/ ... ll-program

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Wingnut
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Ty Burke committed today

Post by Wingnut »

I just wanted to give a little input. Ty's sophomore year he was one of two sophomores to be named on the Utah all 5A team. I believe his fastest 100-meter time is below 11 seconds and that took place when he was a sophomore.

During Ty's junior football season he had a very traumatic leg injury that left him in a wheelchair for at least a month. Quite frankly the fact that he was able to heal quickly and play basketball and then run track later that year in my mind is a minor miracle.

Over the years I've watched Ty many times during football games basketball games and track meets and he gets up to his top speed very quickly. I don't know if his hundred meter dash time will get much quicker but from 0 to 40 m he is pretty dang fast.

During his sophomore year and junior year he finished the state meets as the fastest at the 100, 200 and 400 meter for his grade in his specific category 6A or 5A. He is a football first kid and track is a very distant second. In fact, just about everything else comes second.

I see Ty Burke as a diamond in the rough. Had he not had that injury during his junior year, I'm quite confident his recruiting would have been much different.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Thanks for the additional info on Burke. He is an intriguing read. His freak injury/surgery was for compartment syndrome in his leg--basically massive swelling in a small confined space which can cut off the blood flow and result in tissue necrosis and possible amputation.
This is the reason BYU was his only offer. It sounds like he is going to be competing at Safety after serving a mission.
https://kslsports.com/424554/ty-burke-c ... gning-day/?

Wingnut
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

He's a solid kid

Post by Wingnut »

100% BYU kid. I'll be watching him close during track season. Don't be surprised if he wins a few events (IE 100, 200 or 400 M)

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Sounds like even if the high school seniors do sign early, they may not announce them until February with the rest of the class. They intend to focus mainly on the mid-year signees which will include JC transfers who will enroll in January and returned missionaries who are already home.
https://kslsports.com/424520/returning- ... 020-class/

Here are some of the returned missionaries who are expected to enroll in January (detail on each in link above):
Tyler Batty | DL | Payson HS
Seth Willis | OL | Sandy Hook, CT
Ryan Rehkow | K/P | Veradale, WA
Preston Lewis | LB/DL | Lone Peak HS
Donovan Hanna | TE | Queen Creek, AZ
Mason Fakahua | ATH | Cedar City HS

These guys are still on a mission but will be back in time for fall camp:
Bentley Hanshaw | TE | Moorpark, CA
Tanner Baker | DE | Acworth, GA
Connor Pay | OL | Lone Peak HS
Tysen Lewis | OL | Weber HS
Ben Tuipulotu | TE | Fort Mill, SC
Campbell Barrington | OL | Spokane, WA
Oliver Nasilai | LB | Jessieville, AR

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

https://247sports.com/college/byu/LongF ... 40621495_1
Here is a great update on the latest for BYU recruiting--these guys are the top priority for any remaining spots. I included some notes from 24/7's profiles from each player. Read the article for full details.

WR KODY EPPS - **SIGNED IN DECEMBER** Signing in February, Offers include Nevada, Oregon, San Jose State, UNLV, Utah State, Wyoming.
Came for December official visit, BYU predicted 100% by 24/7 as of now, but there is worry someone else makes a last minute blitz for him if he delays signing until February.

LB TATE ROMNEY - Signing in February, Offers include Arizona, Cal, Colorado, Kansas State, Memphis, Utah, Vanderbilt, Washington State, and Yale.
Currently BYU is predicted 100% by 24/7, but he is mission first so his brothers will be gone by the time he returns. A late blitz by another suitor is a worry.

OL JAKE GRIFFIN - Signing in February, Offers include Utah State, Arizona, Washington State, Indiana, Northern Arizona, Northern Colorado, Oregon State, San Diego State, South Dakota State, Tulane, Weber State. P5 offers coming in lately. BYU predicted 100% by 24/7 today, but his dad played at Utah State and could be swayed, Arizona making a late push. Coming to BYU on official visit in January. Priority increased with Gentry committing to Virginia.

DB MICAH HARPER - **SIGNED IN DECEMBER** Signing in December, Offers include Air Force, Army, Nevada, San Diego State, Syracuse, Abilene Christian, Colgate, Dartmouth, Fordham, Lehigh, Montana State, Navy, New Mexico, New Mexico State, Northern Arizona, Pennsylvania, Princeton, South Dakota State, Tulane, UTEP, Wyoming, Yale.
24/7 predictor says BYU 100%, but he is also seriously considering Air Force, Army, Nevada, SDSU, and Syracuse. Drawn comparisions to Dayan Ghanwoloku. Came to BYU for official visit in December.

DL TUIPULOTU LAI - **SIGNED IN DECEMBER** Offers include Northern Colorado. Unheralded/under the radar recruit from Hawaii who is compared to Lorenzo Fauatea. Official visit in December, 24/7 predicts 100% BYU.

DL KEANU TANUVASA - Signing in February, Offers include Oregon State, Boise State, UCLA, Utah, Arizona, Colorado State, Hawaii, Nevada, Pennsylvania, San Jose State, Utah State, Yale. Father played at Utah. His top 5 are UCLA, Boise State, Oregon State, Utah, and BYU. Still to take official visits. No predictions on 24/7, but Utah has the edge. BYU trying to convince him he fits BYU's defensive scheme better than Utah's.

ATH SCOTTY EDWARDS - Signing in February, Offers include Army, Stanford, Utah State. He has taken several unofficial visits to BYU and will officially visit in January. Stanford has the edge and UCLA is showing interest but no offer so far. 24/7 predictor says 67% Stanford, 33% undecided so there is work to be done here.

DB JAQUES WILSON - **SIGNED IN DECEMBER** Signing in December, JC transfer. Offers include Utah State, Hawaii. Described as "can flat play. He's fast and he's incredibly physical at the line of scrimmage." Could not only make an impact on the roster immediately, but could be competing for starter minutes.

DB JALEN PERDUE - JC transfer, but may not be making a decision until the Spring.
Coaches like his speed and swagger. He has track speed and he has the physicality to play ball, but it's his swagger that will make sure he hits his ceiling at the next level, wherever that ceiling may be. Perdue's game fits what BYU needs.

TE ALEX LINES - Offers include Utah, Boise State, Colorado, Iowa State, Louisville, Memphis, Northern Arizona, Oregon State, Syracuse, Utah State. He favors Utah, but they may not have room for him. BYU has interest, but may need to wait and see if they have a scholarship available for him. BYU already has 4-5 guys in the mix to potentially replace Bushman (should he leave early) and this is another option. He is described as a very physical tight end, has good hands and understands how to get open, but it's his blocking that really sets him apart. His official visit was in December and it may come down to who has a scholarship available to seal the deal.
Last edited by Fido on Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.