Ty'Son Williams transfers to BYU

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
YNot
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Ty'Son Williams transfers to BYU

Post by YNot »

Kilani seems to show his recruiting muscle in bringing in solid transfers to the program. Hoge, Empey, Lee, Tei-Kirby, Collie...and now Williams and Esukpa.

With those first 5, four of them have been solid contributors. That's a really nice track record and a much higher success rate than the typical recruiting class. If either Williams or Esukpa work out this year, it will be HUGE for our offense.

Love seeing Williams' highlights against Tennessee.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Hell be ready for that game.

Scott

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

RB from Arizona CC too.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

So, he brings a total of 5 collegiate touchdowns over three seasons of play to BYU?

I like that we are finding graduate transfers now (finally!), but I view these guys primarily as depth-builders, not primary options or key cogs.

I think we are looking at a lot of Fonua/Katoa this next season, with Ula getting more touches as the season progresses and he gets back into shape and up to speed.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:14 pm So, he brings a total of 5 collegiate touchdowns over three seasons of play to BYU?

I like that we are finding graduate transfers now (finally!), but I view these guys primarily as depth-builders, not primary options or key cogs.

I think we are looking at a lot of Fonua/Katoa this next season, with Ula getting more touches as the season progresses and he gets back into shape and up to speed.
Williams - 5 TDs in 3 seasons (only 19 attempts in 6 games as a freshman, averaged nearly 5 ypc in the SEC)
Fonua - 0 TDs in 3 seasons (18 career rushes for 87 yards since moving over from defense in 2017, missed all of 2018 with an ankle dislocation injury)

Katoa - 8 TDs in 11 games. I think everyone expects him to be one of the top guys but I worry about his durability/size (6'1" 210)/style not being the every-down back.

And if he makes it back on the team:
Tolutau - 2 TDs in 7 games (hasn't played since 10/27/2017, not currently on the team).

It doesn't look like a stretch to see Williams end up in the 2 deep. Esukpa to me is a depth guy who might surprise. It would be great if all these guys were 100% healthy and ready to go. Fonua did okay in his 18 attempts, but I've not seen anything to lead me to believe he is a 2-deep back.

Some of the young guys are worth keeping an eye on too.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:14 pm So, he brings a total of 5 collegiate touchdowns over three seasons of play to BYU?

Williams has had multiple carries in road games in front of 90-100K+ stadiums at Georgia, Texas A&M, and Tennessee. He's had double-digit carries against Clemson, A&M, Tennessee (twice), Missouri (twice), and Louisiana Tech and Coastal Carolina.

His numbers look similar to what Canada or Hadley did last year, but against better opponents in bigger games.

Katoa has double-digit carries against only Hawaii, New Mexico State, and McNeese State. Fonua has played in 3 games the last 2 years...for less than 100 yards in the aggregate.

Esukpa adds depth and will likely battle Fonua and Allgeiers for a role. My money is on Esukpa to win that role in 2019.

Williams brings quality experience and athleticism and will compete for the first spot on the depth chart.

Anyway you cut it, Williams and Esukpa are great additions and turn the rushing game into a positive instead of weakness.

CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CrimsonCoug »

This is helpful. Our run game isn't going to be anything special this year, but these transfers will make it serviceable to the point where teams can't sell out against the pass. It'll force teams to play honest.
I think the quality of the September schedule will still give BYU its usual 1-3 start, but without these transfers that would have been 0-4. If that 1 comes against Utah, then September will be a success!

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Sometimes I really feel like we look gift horses in the mouth.

Welcome to BYU, Ty'Son.

We're not Alabama. Ty'Son is a good get.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I like the depth. I am not ready to crown him starter just because he transferred to us from an SEC team.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »