Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Jake Toolson = All-American. Yoeli not.

Post by snoscythe »

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Re: Jake Toolson = All-American. Yoeli not.

Post by byufan4ever »

So what's the story on him? The way I remember it he won a 3PT contest during the cougar tipoff activities, was starting for us, and then all of sudden out of the blue he requested a transfer out of here. I heard he had depression issues or something? Please correct my memory with facts!

But yeah not sure how he was on it and Childs was not as an honorable mention.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

My understanding was that it was anxiety issues, not depression, that led to the "medical leave of absence" his sophomore year.

Toolson had an odd history -- he accepted a scholarship offer for after his mission, but ended up not serving--same anxiety issues. BYU didn't have any open scholarship spots, but he still came to BYU willing to pay his own way, expecting to see the scholarship materialize after his first two years -- when he was originally expected to show up.

Unfortunately, Nick Emery also changed mission plans, and Rose gave Emery what would have been Toolson's scholarship, leaving Toolson to be a walk-on his Jr. season. Toolson was then asked to redshirt his junior season while paying his own way so he could be a bench contributor behind Haws and Emery in his redshirt junior season.

Rose treated him like a second-class citizen, and I don't blame the kid for jumping ship when his scholarship got handed to another guy and he was told he won't ever be starter with guys coming in off of missions for the next three seasons.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:56 am My understanding was that it was anxiety issues, not depression, that led to the "medical leave of absence" his sophomore year.

Toolson had an odd history -- he accepted a scholarship offer for after his mission, but ended up not serving--same anxiety issues. BYU didn't have any open scholarship spots, but he still came to BYU willing to pay his own way, expecting to see the scholarship materialize after his first two years -- when he was originally expected to show up.

Unfortunately, Nick Emery also changed mission plans, and Rose gave Emery what would have been Toolson's scholarship, leaving Toolson to be a walk-on his Jr. season. Toolson was then asked to redshirt his junior season while paying his own way so he could be a bench contributor behind Haws and Emery in his redshirt junior season.

Rose treated him like a second-class citizen, and I don't blame the kid for jumping ship when his scholarship got handed to another guy and he was told he won't ever be starter with guys coming in off of missions for the next three seasons.
I'd love to hear straight up the exact story on several of these transfers. I've not seen it spoken specifically by them in any interview, so I measure some of what you say tentatively. It seemed to me that Pope picked up a few of BYU's players pretty soon after his move. I trust that he didn't attempt to recruit them, but these were individuals that already had a relationship with him. The Chapman story surprises me the most in that it's been "rumored" that he left when BYU Law School wouldn't allow him to be in the law school and play sports. My experience has been that we'll usually not ever know exactly.

jadesroom
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by jadesroom »

snoscythe wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:56 am My understanding was that it was anxiety issues, not depression, that led to the "medical leave of absence" his sophomore year.

source?

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

jadesroom wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:28 pm source?
Folks within the program and pieces from news stories. You're free to believe or disbelieve.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

EM_Puma wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:21 pm

I'd love to hear straight up the exact story on several of these transfers. I've not seen it spoken specifically by them in any interview, so I measure some of what you say tentatively. It seemed to me that Pope picked up a few of BYU's players pretty soon after his move. I trust that he didn't attempt to recruit them, but these were individuals that already had a relationship with him. The Chapman story surprises me the most in that it's been "rumored" that he left when BYU Law School wouldn't allow him to be in the law school and play sports. My experience has been that we'll usually not ever know exactly.
The Chapman family has essentially come out and said the Law School thing was just a way for BYU to save face.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

For whatever reason Toolson left, the story is that Toolson is an All American and he deserves accolades and compliments. Good for him and congratulations. We surely could have used a shooter like him this year....Regardless, good for him.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

I believe both Toolson and Chapman would have made BYU a better team. Sam Merrill, a returned missionary at Utah State, was also an All-American.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

nuk13 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:12 pm I believe both Toolson and Chapman would have made BYU a better team. Sam Merrill, a returned missionary at Utah State, was also an All-American.
Chatman was a loss. His was due to graduating early and the BYU law school not allowing him to be on the team and go to law school.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel