Re: Who is the new coach?

Post by Fido »

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Post by SpiffCoug »

Doesn't Coach Pope have a higher buyout if he leave UVU for BYU than if he leaves for another school?

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

byufan4ever wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:21 pm
Brayden Green wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:16 pm Well, this is disappointing, but I get it.

I think of the names being bandied about, anyone but Pope is a clear step down, and I'm not sure that even he can fit the shoes, (I was a fan while he was here and he did some good things at UVU).

Good luck, to whoever it is. If you don't hit 20 wins, your "fanbase" will eat you.
Or you know, you don't make the NCAA tournament FOUR years in a row and don't even make the NIT. We can schedule for an easy empty 20 wins if that's what makes some fans happy...

Le sigh. For the umpteenth time, less than 20% of basketball teams make it to the NCAA tournament, so the list of teams that haven't made it to the NCAA tournament in 4 years FAR outweighs the list of teams that have. In fact, the list of teams that haven't made it ONCE to the NCAA tournament during Dave Rose's tenure is longer than the teams that have made it at all, regardless of all the years we did make it.

And the NIT bumps that up to the top 25% of teams.

So your complaint is that BYU wasn't in the top 20% of teams for 4 years (ignoring the many years they were, nearly two decades) and that they didn't make it as the top 25% of teams by a couple wins once.

Rose owned in state rivals. I dont have the exact number, but I would expect it to be in the high 80%. Expect that to not continue, probably even with Pope who is the most qualified of those that we have a shot with, and would win quicker.

This fan liked being nationally relevant every year. Rose didn't do his best work towards the end, and moving to the WCC sure didn't help. With all that said, I'm not sure that we do better (but I'd love it if we did).

The new guy has his hands full, and we are going to need more than a girls bball coach or some intern somewhere to make the next leap. I dont see it happening, and I expect you here when we dip below 19 wins next year for the first time since some people on this board have been alive.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Dave Rose is the best Mens BB coach BYU has ever had. His winning percentage proves it. I am sad to see him go but I feel like it was time only because he just didn't seem to have the fire he used to have. I hope we can get someone that is able to duplicate his effort because it is going to be a very hard job to do that. Those of you that are happy he is calling it quits are going to be wishing he was back when our next coach is figuring out how hard it is to duplicate what he was able to accomplish at BYU. Kind of like what Sitake is learning about the job Bronco did.

jadesroom
Freshman

Post by jadesroom »

Le sigh. For the umpteenth time, less than 20% of basketball teams make it to the NCAA tournament, so the list of teams that haven't made it to the NCAA tournament in 4 years FAR outweighs the list of teams that have. In fact, the list of teams that haven't made it ONCE to the NCAA tournament during Dave Rose's tenure is longer than the teams that have made it at all, regardless of all the years we did make it.
But, for the umpteenth time, why didn't BYU make the tournament this year? Lack of defense, discipline, and development all contributed to that failure, and all three are directly tied to coaching. The losses to Weber St., Illinois St., San Diego St., San Diego, and UNLV are the types of games that BYU must win and are the type of losses that have kept us out of the tournament for four years. To reiterate: Lack of defense, discipline, and development all contributed to that failure, and all three are directly tied to coaching.

Coach Rose is a fantastic person with a great body of work. But if the fire and desire is gone, then it's gone.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Brayden Green wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:43 pm
Brayden Green wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:16 pm Well, this is disappointing, but I get it.

I think of the names being bandied about, anyone but Pope is a clear step down, and I'm not sure that even he can fit the shoes, (I was a fan while he was here and he did some good things at UVU).

Good luck, to whoever it is. If you don't hit 20 wins, your "fanbase" will eat you.
Or you know, you don't make the NCAA tournament FOUR years in a row and don't even make the NIT. We can schedule for an easy empty 20 wins if that's what makes some fans happy...

So your complaint is that BYU wasn't in the top 20% of teams for 4 years (ignoring the many years they were, nearly two decades) and that they didn't make it as the top 25% of teams by a couple wins once.

Rose owned in state rivals. I dont have the exact number, but I would expect it to be in the high 80%. Expect that to not continue, probably even with Pope who is the most qualified of those that we have a shot with, and would win quicker.

This fan liked being nationally relevant every year. Rose didn't do his best work towards the end, and moving to the WCC sure didn't help. With all that said, I'm not sure that we do better (but I'd love it if we did).

The new guy has his hands full, and we are going to need more than a girls bball coach or some intern somewhere to make the next leap. I dont see it happening, and I expect you here when we dip below 19 wins next year for the first time since some people on this board have been alive.
For the umpteenth time empty wins don't do anything for me. For the umpteenth time it was obvious (to me) that BYU has been trending the wrong direction. Let's not pretend that all 353 teams are of equal quality. Half of those should probably not be in division 1; they just don't belong. Let's just add another 100 crappy teams to Div 1 so then we can say only the top 15% make it! I'm sure many fans here would have been thrilled to have had the season that UMBC had. They won 21 freaking games! Ignore the #306 SOS and 230 KenPom rating, it's all about the 20 wins, baby!

Maybe my bar for success is to high (not making the tournament FOUR years in a row???) but I feel most other fans have the bar too low (empty wins). Good is the enemy to great. If we can't compete at this level maybe we should move down to Div 2.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

BYU has already made an offer to Mark Pope.

Pope is in no rush to give a response as he's interviewing for other positions, including at PAC12 and SEC schools with openings. He may be using BYU as a bargaining chip with other schools.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

byufan4ever wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:32 am
Brayden Green wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:43 pm

For the umpteenth time empty wins don't do anything for me. For the umpteenth time it was obvious (to me) that BYU has been trending the wrong direction. Let's not pretend that all 353 teams are of equal quality. Half of those should probably not be in division 1; they just don't belong. Let's just add another 100 crappy teams to Div 1 so then we can say only the top 15% make it! I'm sure many fans here would have been thrilled to have had the season that UMBC had. They won 21 freaking games! Ignore the #306 SOS and 230 KenPom rating, it's all about the 20 wins, baby!

Maybe my bar for success is to high (not making the tournament FOUR years in a row???) but I feel most other fans have the bar too low (empty wins). Good is the enemy to great. If we can't compete at this level maybe we should move down to Div 2.
My point is, who set that standard of making the Tourney consistently and winning conference championships? Did Cleveland? No. Did Reid? No. Do you know who those guys are without googling it?

BYU is in the conversation every year, when HUNDREDS of teams aren't.

I'm tired of watching great men go down for doing good jobs because people are unsatisfied with their own personal lives (this last part not specifically aimed at you in my reply). But this whole teardown culture that we have is pathetic, with Facebook and Twitter making enemies out of neighbors, and BYU sports and fandom is a small cog in that obsessive wheel.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Brayden Green wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:00 am
BYU is in the conversation [for the NCAA tourney] every year
......except this year and the year before.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

I don't want to be in the conversation. That's like not being nominated for prom queen but people still talked about you. Yay...

64 teams make it to the tourney every year. 64. This isn't football. What we all should be asking is should BYU be a top 64 team. They should. No reason why we can't be a top 64 team every year.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel