Spring Game

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Spring Game

Post by scott715 »

I did not see it but I heard that Hall was like 4 TDs out of 4 tries and he did very well. Any chance he is better than Wilson?

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Spring Game

Post by hawkwing »

He's very good. I wish we could have seen them both play today to know for sure. Hall is definitely a starter at any other university in the state.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Here's my stream of consciousness

Jaren Hall is really good you guys. https://t.co/bYKBGyFOZE
The sense I'm getting from this practice is that Critchelow has a very Jason Munns feel to him.
They just put in Romney at QB. He looked decent in throwing drills. He is moving smoothly on the field, but lacks the athleticism of Hall.
https://t.co/nJ3Gc7XHL5
Romney to Romney TD. Can't ask for more than that. Would be fun if we could do that against a few cupcakes this year.
Trying this while I'm here. It's good. Tastes like a mint brownie https://t.co/CSryOJuGkF
Critchelow just had a great pass to Pau'u over the middle but followed it with a pick.
Multiple punt catches have been bobbled. And the kicking game in general has not been good.
Jaren just ran through the entire defense like it was Swiss cheese
There have multiple fg/pat attempts tipped at the LOS
Feels to me like Tyler Algier has been the best RB today.
Oldroyd hit a 48 yarder. Southam and Anderson both missed. Anderson's was about 15 yards short
A line of people started gathering to get my autograph but luckily my man Fred Warner took care of them so I could continue providing this quality content. https://t.co/YGIvLW8KTR
Jaren Hall with back to back passes to Gunner Romney, ending in a TD. Definitely the dynamic duo of this day.
Sione Finau has had a few nice, shifty runs.
Offensive line has had a pretty nice surge on running plays. The 1s have protected pretty well on passing plays. But defense has gotten in on a few against 2s and 3s. This also isn't a defense that generally gets much pressure
That's all for practice. https://t.co/BcHArYPOhW
"In conclusion the offense was the clear winner.

Zach Wilson and Jaren Hall would start for any team in the region."

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

So our backup QB destroyed our defense?

jadesroom
Freshman

Post by jadesroom »

frdbtr wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:24 am So our backup QB destroyed our defense?
A lot of defensive starters were out. So let's say, "Our backup quarterback playing with the first team offense destroyed our first team defense playing with a lot of backups."

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

Thanks. This is the first thread on spring football. Hall looks like he has great potential and is a good runner. I would like to see him and Wilson in the backfield at the same time. The defense would not know what to expect. I remember when McMahon was starting they put in Steve Young at running back. Young threw a strike on that play. I hope they do this with Hall and Wilson. I edit this to say once in a while.
Last edited by nuk13 on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I think Grimes will draw up something along those lines. Especially for Utah.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

Jaren Hall is legit. He made quick decisions and had some pin-point throws, hit guys in stride, had a fantastic 50+ yard run, and just looks like an athlete out there. He will push Wilson and it's great to have a good back-up. Romney had his moments, both good and bad. Critchlow is still too indecisive and waits too long. I wish Stacey Conner would have taken some snaps. He looks solid in position drills - but didn't really get any action in the live scrimmage.

Gunner Romney is a playmaker. Good speed, good routes, and great hands. I'm excited to see him this fall. Milne looks good too. Pau'u had a nice jet sweep run and a couple of good catches. Also some drops. Simon looked rusty in the return game.

Allgeier had a decent day and at least looks like a legit running back. I wasn't overly excited. Sione Finau is a good change of pace, but he is small and not enough speed and athleticism to offset. Reminds me of KJ Hall - he can contribute, but will not be a play-maker, especially against good defenses. He had a couple of nice catches out of the backfield. He needs to gain weight.

I was impressed with MacFarland, who played some full-back and H-back. Had nice catches, including a nice TD catch-and-run.

Ah You stands out on defense. He sheds blocks and makes plays. AJ Lolohea surprised me on defense. He got to the quarterback really quickly 2 or 3 times and broke up a couple of passes in coverage. The linebacker competition will be fun to watch.

Hall exploited the secondary with a mix of short, medium, and deep throws. I tend to lean towards Hall being that good. The secondary looked good most of the time when Romney and Critchlow were behind center. Reality is probably somewhere in the middle.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I can see it already. Fans calling for Hall when Wilson struggles.