Dave Rose

BYU Cougars on the court.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Dave Rose

Post by frdbtr »

So I have stayed out of the "Fire Dave Rose" talk this year because I still think he is the best Basketball HC that BYU has ever had. Having said that, I don't think he has the same fire or drive that he used to have. The team just doesn't seem to have the focus/energy that it used to have back in the MWC days. This years team was so wildly inconsistent that it was hard, almost impossible, to watch and enjoy the games. I still don't think Dave Rose should be fired but someone needs to either light a fire under him to get back what he had in the MWC days or he needs to be encouraged to Retire. I am going to join the Jeff Judkins band wagon to become the Men's HC. He has done a really good job with the women's teams.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Dave Rose

Post by byufan4ever »

How are we measuring how good a coach is? Please please please do not say by number of wins. Number of wins depends on the quality of the competition. If all we want is 25+ wins each year then let's just schedule home cupcakes for all of our OOC games for the next decade. For me the #1, #2, and #3 most important thing is getting into the NCAA tournament (and winning 1-2 games would be nice too). #4 and #5 would be conference championships (regular or tournament). #6 some sort of ranking that takes into account SOS to judge how well the season went besides just number of wins. Oh and somewhere in there is beating Utah, that's important too.

By my measures Rose USED to be a really good coach. He USED to get us into the NCAA tournament consistently. He USED to have a good KenPom ranking. But that's all in the past. I HATE this idea of tenure - that because someone did something really good X number of years ago he now gets to "stay as long as we wants." Those are 6 really bad words for any business or industry. People have these warm fuzzy feelings about what Rose did long ago, but I doubt anyone can use facts and logic to convice me that Rose is STILL the coach for the FUTURE.

Stop living in the past. I'm not paying for season tickets to remember how good we used to be.
Last edited by byufan4ever on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Rose needs to go. He won't because BYU and Holmoe are too nice.

Agree with BYUFan, Rose used to be a good coach.

Remember when we had a run of several years in the NCAA tourney? It wasn't a matter of "if" we were going to make it, it was a matter of what sees. We'd lament about poor seeding. Now, we cross our fingers that we make the NIT.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

BYU lacks the talent to be consistent. All you have to do is compare Worthington and Cannon to Mika and Bryant. Or compare to Jake Toolson - who transferred to UVU and was the WAC player of the year. Would have been nice to have a 6-5 guard who can consistently score 15-25 points per game.

I actually respect Worthington and Cannon for what they bring, who they are, and how they play. They have represented BYU well. But the talent gap is obvious. Rose can't keep enough talent at BYU.

And, 2016 was Rose's last good recruiting class - Baxter (4*), Childs (4*), and Harding (3*). We aren't reloading, we're regressing.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Take a look at this. This shows the Dave Rose era plus the three years prior. I think we have a lot of great memories of what Rose did in year one in righting the ship and then the Jimmer years were super awesome. But look at the trend. And look at who have been our team/stat leaders. Is this year's team really less talented than some of the past teams that made the NCAA tournament?
BYU Basketball Season Ratings 2019.PNG

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Look at that 2009 team.

Lee Cummard was the leading scorer and the leading rebounder was Tavenari. Tavenari finished his career at BYU on the bench. He wasn't good enough to start as a Senior. But as a sophomore, he was the leading rebounder. And Cummard lead the team in blocks!! Cummard was the only solid player on that team. Jimmer was a freshman.

Rose took that team to the NCAA tourney...as an 8 seed, but this year's team is a bubble NIT team.

That's messed up.

A team with Plaisted and Cummard goes to the tourney, but a team with Childs and Haws sits.

jadesroom
Freshman

Post by jadesroom »

YNot wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:49 am I actually respect Worthington and Cannon for what they bring, who they are, and how they play. They have represented BYU well. But the talent gap is obvious. Rose can't keep enough talent at BYU.
Nor does he develop the talent he has. Rose is like a JC coach--not surprising, given his background--lots of run and gun, no defense, no development, lots of turnover

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Didn't even make the NIT.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Gunk wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:35 pm Didn't even make the NIT.
Quick! Someone give Nick Emery a VW so we can pretend this season didn't happen either!

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

Why did Holmoe turn down the opportunity to play in the CBI? Are we too proud for that?