My changed view of this season

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

My changed view of this season

Post by Fido »

Last year was awful. This year I went into things cautiously optimistic. But the team has been very inconsistent. The one game I made the trip into the stadium for this season was the awful Cal game and was furious along with most in the stands around me. But this past Saturday I sat and watched the lackluster NIU game with a little different outlook.

I'm convinced this team is in full rebuilding mode. I took the 2 deep chart for the NIU game and counted up how many from each class were represented somewhere on it (both sides of the ball). Not surprisingly Seniors are the most represented with 19. However, if I challenge you to come up with what Senior is a "star" on this team could you do it? On offense choices appear to be Canada (had moments, but injuries), Mangum (lost the job to a freshman), Hadley (utility guy, not star). Collie? Hoyt? El-Bakri? Nwigwe? Jumping to defense there is Takitaki and Corbin Kaufusi if those guys are putting up "star" numbers for anyone. Then Taliauli? Pau'u? Riggs Powell? Pulsipher? Shelton? Jacobson? My point is there isn't a clear "star" player from the senior class. That is a big problem.

Let's go to the class with the next most number of 2-deep representatives: FRESHMAN 18 of them appear in the chart! Offensive contributors include Wilson, Katoa, Southam, Romney, Milne, Empey, Saleapaga, Christensen, Holker. On defense most contributors are DBs in Herron, Moore, Mandell, and Ellis. A team relying so heavily on the contribution of freshmen is going to struggle. The other classes have 14 (Juniors) and 11 (Sophomores).

I guess where I'm going is this Freshman class is gaining a bunch of experience and learn on the job. The senior class in particular lacks clear leadership and performance like is typically expected. I'm hoping that we have some clear YOUNG leaders emerge and take their development time and build on it for next year. And I hope that future recruiting classes are sufficient that we don't have such gaps in leadership and contribution like we have with certain classes this season.

I'm resigned to not beat Boise State or Utah (which pains me for sure) but hope for wins in the other two games to become bowl eligible.

Going forward I hope the team figures out how to better defend their home field. Apathy in the stands I think comes from losing more games at home in the past 2 seasons (7) than they had lost since going independent the previous 6 seasons combined (6).

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: My changed view of this season

Post by hawkwing »

I have a hard time being very sympathetic of a coach who has had 3 recruiting classes yet is relying on non-mission true freshmen.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

That perspective isn't really helping, because our underclassmen aren't projecting to be much better going forward.

2013 recruiting class rank = #66
2014 recruiting class rank = #64
2015 recruiting class rank = #65
2016 recruiting class rank = #49 (Bronco-->Kalani transition class)
2017 recruiting class rank = #66
2018 recruiting class rank = #83-ish

Other than the "excitement" bump of the class he shared with Bronco, Kalani's recruiting is in a nose-dive.

I see the playing of freshmen over seniors at this point as a panic move by a coach who is fumbling for an answer to get wins. I don't see Zach Wilson as an improvement over Tanner Mangum--I think it's proving to be a lateral move at best, but when Kalani is desperate for a win, out goes the senior and in goes the frosh. I see the youth as evidence of ineptitude from the coaches, not a foundation-building project.

cougarapologist
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by cougarapologist »

UMass is no cakewalk. In their stadium and they beat us last year. 5-7 is a very real possibility. Worst will be going into Rice-Eccles at 5-6 with a chance to get bowl eligible, and getting beaten by 50.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

cougarapologist wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:19 am UMass is no cakewalk. In their stadium and they beat us last year. 5-7 is a very real possibility. Worst will be going into Rice-Eccles at 5-6 with a chance to get bowl eligible, and getting beaten by 50.
"Worst" would actually be beating Utah to become Bowl eligible and getting stuck with a few more years of this train wreck of a coaching staff.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

I don't know man......show me one senior who clearly outperformed his contemporaries but isn't getting a chance because Sitake wants to play the freshmen. At some point, you start to play guys who have a higher ceiling because you see what the seniors are and they aren't going to improve--and only benefit you for 4 more games. If you can't beat out the freshmen, you shouldn't be playing.

Mangum is a grown man who has fought the battles and lost too many of them incurring too many battle scars along the way. Zach Wilson is the youngest player to ever start at BYU. I think there are some players in that freshman/sophomore group who are gaining valuable experience. In the meantime, if Sitake ends up losing his job, so be it.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I refuse to give excuses to a guy who is putting a bad product on the field when his predecessor who consistently won was not given the same excuse when the team lost games.

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

Any team of seniors that lack standout players are the coachs' fault. They should have, but did not, develop those players into performers and leaders.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Sammich wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:39 pm Any team of seniors that lack standout players are the coachs' fault. They should have, but did not, develop those players into performers and leaders.
Sitake inherited these seniors from Bronco.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Fido wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:51 pm
Sammich wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:39 pm Any team of seniors that lack standout players are the coachs' fault. They should have, but did not, develop those players into performers and leaders.
Sitake inherited these seniors from Bronco.
He's had 3 years to develop those players.