It's Time For A Change & The Church Needs Some Good PR

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: It's Time For A Change & The Church Needs Some Good PR

Post by BroncoBot »

alcoholism, a disability? come on people. That's a joke right there. I guess I'd be fine with that as long as you take driving privileges away from people who suffer from this disability.

Isola
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Isola »

Critics are critics and they will not see this as a nice move, but either a sorry attempt to buy good will, or a desperate attempt to make the team competitive on the highest level.

BYU football is first and foremost a missionary tool and the HC is close to a mission president. The HC has to be LDS and active. I don't know how BYU football fills its mission otherwise.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

MesaCougFan wrote:Sarkisian is a really good football coach who knows how to navigate BYU. He's a beloved former QB. It would be like the "Prodigal Son". Kudos to the church if they made this happen.
The only think Sarkisian knows how to navigate about the BYU HC is to go up to Park City to drink so he doesn't get caught in Provo. He didn't follow the HC here and wouldn't expect it to be a big deal now.

I wouldn't be opposed to a non-LDS HC, but it would have to be someone who understands the importance and zero-tolerance environment that exists now.

stgeorgefan
Senior

Post by stgeorgefan »

Gunk wrote:
1967cougar wrote:I am actually a bit astonished with the tone in some of these comments. I know no one is a sincere worshiper of the Holy Pigskin but it sure seems like finding the right coach in the name of good PR for the Church is taking precedent over maintaining solid standards.

In the name of good PR should we call female Bishops and conduct gay marriages in the temples? In the name of good PR should we have called some minority Apostles at the last General Conference? In the name of good PR should we loosen the Honor Code to make us more appealing to the world? C'mon folks. Football is a GAME. Nothing more. Just a game (albeit a wonderfully exciting game).

I'll close this now and go back to my daily worship or Urroner's avatar.
Exactly, it' a game that thrives 100% outside of the church and religion; so , the qualification that the HC be a temple worthy, spiritual ambassador is unnecessary for the game.

A HC is not a mission president, not a bishop. No keys of priesthood authority are required to do the job; yet, it's treated as such. I certainly get why there would or should be a preference for a temple worthy coach but it shouldn't be a requirement. Non-LDS students can attend "the Lord's" school. Non-LDS professors can teach at "the Lord's" school. Non-LDS men can play on the "The Lord's" football team, and non-LDS men can coach "the Lord's" football team, but just not at its highest ranks. It's odd and IMO exclusionary.

The fact a temple worthy man is required to coach the football team - an entirely worldly game - belittles priesthood callings where temple worthy males are actually needed.

Lastly, if I am not mistaken, there are or have been non-LDS head coaches at BYU; just not men's football or basketball.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Wow this post right here!!!

I would add...... If other HC's of other BYU sports have been NON-LDS than am i to assume the reason why BB and FB head coaches have to be temple worthy is due to the exposure the two main sports get?

A great fit on the NON lds HC front would be Ed Lamb from SUU. He would be a great fit, a byu guy, and a guy who has gone to church a lot but never been baptized.

I would also love Steve Sark, but he needs to have some time to get his life back on stable ground. Being in a HC position right now would be horrible for stability IMHO. I'd hope he was an OC or QB coach at a mid major for a little bit, something not as stressful where he could work back into the daily HC grind.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

While in the past (read 90s and prior) we have occaisionally had non-LDS coaches (see: Mark Schultz, wrestling). It is now a requirement for all head coaches of all sports, and that came from the BoT to Val Hale and Tom Holmoe when they took the job. It's been BoT policy since 1999.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

snoscythe wrote:While in the past (read 90s and prior) we have occaisionally had non-LDS coaches (see: Mark Schultz, wrestling). It is now a requirement for all head coaches of all sports, and that came from the BoT to Val Hale and Tom Holmoe when they took the job. It's been BoT policy since 1999.
Schultz is LDS (since 1991), he was in my ward growing up, my dad stood in the circle to bless his baby.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
stgeorgefan
Senior

Post by stgeorgefan »

BroncoBot wrote:alcoholism, a disability? come on people. That's a joke right there. I guess I'd be fine with that as long as you take driving privileges away from people who suffer from this disability.
I guess you've not known to many Alcoholics.(or any on a personal level) Disabling is a kind word IMHO, i'd say debilitating. Most i've known can't drive, or have an interlock.
Alas; perceptions are what they are. :munch:

While I'm not advocating Sark as a HC at Byu, I would think it would be great to get an LDS or Non LDS assistant coach, that was a recovering addict. Max Hall maybe one day as a Qb coach. There are others out there.(can't remember names) Lets not forget a lot of these players get addicted while they play football, get injured and than are fed large doses of pain pills from team Dr's. Having a qualified coach who has gone through that would be a huge asset to ANY team.