Start Winder

BYU Cougars on the court.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Start Winder

Post by Gunk »

We play so much better with Winder on the court. IMO one of the primary reasons we start slow is because our 3rd best player, best perimeter defender and best off-the-dribble player is sitting on the bench.

Again, Rose is opting to not start the 5 best players and it's costing us games.

Fischer is a great guy. Great team player and leader but he isn't as good as Winder. And, for the record Fischer is not an improvement over Carlino. I would take Carlino on this team over Fischer any day.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Re: Start Winder

Post by hawkwing »

Why do you think that Rose wont start Winder?

AZman
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by AZman »

Sometimes it is more important having a player who provides a spark off the bench and not having them in the starting lineup. I live in Tucson and we have Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, an NBA caliber player, coming off the bench to provide a spark and still playing starter minutes, kind of like Winder. I am ok with Winder's role off the bench.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

AZman wrote:Sometimes it is more important having a player who provides a spark off the bench and not having them in the starting lineup. I live in Tucson and we have Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, an NBA caliber player, coming off the bench to provide a spark and still playing starter minutes, kind of like Winder. I am ok with Winder's role off the bench.
That was my thought as well.

Imagine what BYU's bench lineup would be if Winder wasn't the 6th man.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Perhaps Fischer would actually play better coming off the bench. He knocked down a few shots after coming off the bench against the Zags. I see no reason why Rose couldn't toy with Fischer as the 6th man.

What is killing us against every legit team are slow starts. The clawing back typically starts the moment Winder enters the court. The lack of a 3rd scoring threat to start games is really hurting our performance.

As awesome as it is to have a guy like Winder come in a get the team going, IMO it's better to start out the gate at full speed, put the pressure on your opponents.

AmmonCougar1
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by AmmonCougar1 »

Gunk wrote:Perhaps Fischer would actually play better coming off the bench. He knocked down a few shots after coming off the bench against the Zags. I see no reason why Rose couldn't toy with Fischer as the 6th man.

What is killing us against every legit team are slow starts. The clawing back typically starts the moment Winder enters the court. The lack of a 3rd scoring threat to start games is really hurting our performance.

As awesome as it is to have a guy like Winder come in a get the team going, IMO it's better to start out the gate at full speed, put the pressure on your opponents.
IMO he's not starter material but I have to chime in for Doby as well. He is a spark plug off the bench and generally is the energizer bunny that just doesn't stop. I agree with the sentiments about Winder both as a potential starter and also doing what he does as 6th man.

Go Cougs!!!
J. Child
Ammon, ID

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Rose started Winder last night and Fischer. Went small. In the first 5 min of the game Winder had half our team's points, we led out of the gate, and Winder finished the night with 22.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Gunk wrote:Rose started Winder last night and Fischer. Went small. In the first 5 min of the game Winder had half our team's points, we led out of the gate, and Winder finished the night with 22.
Proof that Rose reads Cougar Corner ;)

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Of course, was there any doubt of that. If he would listen to us, he'll be in the tourney. Did you also notice that Corbin has been getting more minutes too.

Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Qman »

scott715 wrote:Of course, was there any doubt of that. If he would listen to us, he'll be in the tourney. Did you also notice that Corbin has been getting more minutes too.

Every time I see Kaufusi halfway run through someone to grab a loose ball or rebound with 2 hands I smile. He has great athletic ability but a lot players don't have the desire to work that hard.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb