It appears we have locker room issues

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: It appears we have locker room issues

Post by ABYUFAN »

Fido wrote:Did Monty's tweet seriously call Holmoe "Tom Homo"? :bug:
I saw that and figured, this guy doesn't expect me to take him seriously...so I won't

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

BlueIsBetter wrote:For the umpteenth year in a row.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/messag ... d=13220978" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought the whole idea of getting guys that "recruit BYU" and are RM, etc is so we don't have these kinds of issues, because they are a more responsible type of player. (I guess when you throw your players under the bus they tend not to like it.)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Tim Montemayor. Really. Had to Google to figure out who he even is. That popped a 2013 post from someone in SF, expressing sympathy that this problem now belongs to SLC.

Teams on losing streaks do have locker room challenges. There are a number of the "more athletic" players on the team that have violated team rules, skipped meetings, shown up late, played selfishly, did not hit the playbook, have not hit the film room, and are not used to someone laying down the law. It would not shock me to see that "attitude" problem growing when losses mount, and player errors get pointed out, and fans turn on the coaches and the team, and...........

Winning fixes such things. A 5th straight loss will not. Charlie Strong got a dose of this as well.

Bronco is at his best with over achievers. Under achievers that expect to be coddled will not be fond of Bronco.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

NDCougar wrote:
BYUBALLIN wrote:So your in the room when Bronco does recruting that's all he does? Pretty sure we would not be getting talented lds and non lds guys if this is the case. I seriously doubt that your not gonna go after a kid because of his dad. Do you know how many people they talk to about character during recruiting because I do. I know of first hand offensive lineman that Bronco has recruited and your anylasis of it could not be further off.
What are you talking about? You keep discussing subjects not included in the posts. Of course he discussed character, everyone knows that.

I am talking about rolling out the red carpet. I have heard that first hand from players who played at BYU and players who did not go to BYU (not going to discuss specific people on a public board). It is well documented Bronco dislikes recruiting. We are not landing top guys often and missing on LDS and HC type kids all the time.

Not discussing character or kids who are not a fit. I am discussing missing players who are BYU type kids. We are missing because Bronco does not recruit as hard as others.

Kids who need the red carpet rolled out and pampered and soothed etc are kids who will not do well at BYU, all things considered. But that is just my view. Obviously schools like Ok State that send in the "cheerleaders" wink wink think differently. I'm fine that we don't pamper. On a different note, where is it documented that Bronco dislikes recruiting, enough, as you suggest, to mean he is missing out on BYU kids? There are times when a kid just wants to be a Ute or a Cardinal or a Fighting Irish. Does that mean that the kid did not come to BYU because Bronco missed out on the kid as a result of his dislike for recruiting? I do not think you can draw that conclusion. I have "unnamed sources" who speak the opposite of your unnamed sources with respect to Bronco and recruiting. If, in fact, you were correct, then how is it that BYU has been very competitive over the years even with harder schedules and the changing college football landscape? But instead of my unnamed sources being better than your unnamed sources, or vice versa, I say look at the facts. BYU is a really hard place to recruit to, what with the honor code, no P-5 conference, generally tougher schedules than earlier eras etc etc etc. and what I see are athletes yera in and year out that are in the top 50 as a class, more or less, over the years. That does not suggest a dislike for recruiting or an incompetent effort. You seem to dislike all things Bronco and think something somehow in someway would be better if Bronco were removed. But you offer no solutions. Just vent.

nickdutson
BLUEshirt

Post by nickdutson »

SpiffCoug wrote:I'm shocked that a team that has lost four in a row is pointing fingers everywhere.

Lockerroom issues got part and parcel with a losing team. I bet most teams that lost several games in a row and didn't play well in any of them would also have lockerroom issues.

I bet even the Patriots and Broncos would have issues too.

It's like the Seahawks. They win the Super Bowl and everyone loves them. But this year, they're losing games and trading guys and we're hearing things about lockerroom issues there as well.
When the Utes lost 5 In a row last year I don't recall hearing anything like this.

CAFB_04-12
All-American

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

Do we live in a world where coaches can't call out players for piss poor play?

Good grief. Millennials. Thanks, Obama.

CAFB_04-12
All-American

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

nickdutson wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:I'm shocked that a team that has lost four in a row is pointing fingers everywhere.

Lockerroom issues got part and parcel with a losing team. I bet most teams that lost several games in a row and didn't play well in any of them would also have lockerroom issues.

I bet even the Patriots and Broncos would have issues too.

It's like the Seahawks. They win the Super Bowl and everyone loves them. But this year, they're losing games and trading guys and we're hearing things about lockerroom issues there as well.
When the Utes lost 5 In a row last year I don't recall hearing anything like this.

Lower expectations up North

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Brayden Green »

CAFB_04-12 wrote:Do we live in a world where coaches can't call out players for piss poor play?

Good grief. Millennials. Thanks, Obama.
So, the "Riley is our quarterback" guy is suddenly "calling out players" as you said.

There is a difference between calling the players out, and throwing them under the bus. They got thrown under the bus and then backed over once again for another round.

Do any of you actually believe "The system is perfect" against Nevada? (And even if "the system" is perfect, which is a debate in its own right, the training of the players to fit in that system is extremely poor and disjointed.)

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

When the Utes got beat, they got beat by better teams. Who in the Max Hall era would BYU have lost to in this year's schedule?

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

BlueIsBetter wrote:When the Utes got beat, they got beat by better teams. Who in the Max Hall era would BYU have lost to in this year's schedule?
Hmm... Does Max Hall get injured and we're now playing with Brendan Gaskins or Riley Nelson?

Because if we're playing with one of them, I can think of a few teams a Max Hall-era BYU team would lose to this year.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

SpiffCoug wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:When the Utes got beat, they got beat by better teams. Who in the Max Hall era would BYU have lost to in this year's schedule?
Hmm... Does Max Hall get injured and we're now playing with Brendan Gaskins or Riley Nelson?

Because if we're playing with one of them, I can think of a few teams a Max Hall-era BYU team would lose to this year.
Well, Max Hall is/was a lot less likely to get hurt, because he had an Oline that would block for him, and they ran quick outs and dump offs to the half back. Even though he played much better competition than anything we have seen the last 5 years. And Gaskins was decent. I personally knew him, he had offers from ASU and other schools.