BYU's biggest deficiency and liability: Coach Kaufusi

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU's biggest deficiency and liability: Coach Kaufusi

Post by Gunk »

Cougarbib wrote: They do not have great assistant coaches now.
You're including Anae, right?

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

Gunk wrote:
If the caveat is "great" I would include Anae. I do think he's a good assistant.

If I were putting together an order of merit for both sides assistants, mine might look like this:

Offense:
1. Anae
2. Tugjae
3. Holliday
4. Beck
4. Atuaia

Defense:
1. Bronco
5. Poppinga
5. Howell
5. Kaufusi
5. Tidwell

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

SpiffCoug wrote:
Gunk wrote:
If the caveat is "great" I would include Anae. I do think he's a good assistant.

If I were putting together an order of merit for both sides assistants, mine might look like this:

Offense:
1. Anae
2. Tugjae
3. Holliday
4. Beck
4. Atuaia

Defense:
1. Bronco
5. Poppinga
5. Howell
5. Kaufusi
5. Tidwell
Given Hill's progression this year, I'd give Beck a higher grade than Atuaia....I'm not sure why Atuaia is on staff other than he's Anae's buddy.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

SpiffCoug wrote:
Gunk wrote:

Offense:
1. Anae
2. Tugjae
3. Holliday
4. Beck
4. Atuaia

Defense:
1. Bronco
5. Poppinga
5. Howell
5. Kaufusi
5. Tidwell
Yes. I would include Anae, which is exactly what I stated with the specific adjective "great" as the qualifying adjective.

The last great assistant coach at BYU was probably the OL coach that preceded Weber. What was his name?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Gunk wrote:
Yes. Until he becomes a hot "head coaching" candidate or someone I view as the best next BYU HC, I would go with good not great. I still think he might be the best realistically available OC for BYU at this time.

Last edited by Cougarbib on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Cougarbib wrote:
Gunk wrote:
Yes. Until he becomes a hot head coaching candidate or someone I view as the best next BYU HC, I would go with good not great. I still think he might be the best realistically available OC for BYU at this time.

I would disagree with this. The OC doesn't have to be LDS. If we are comfortable with a revolving door at that position (ie changing every 2 or 3 years because they move on to a bigger program or HC position), then there are plenty of better options.

Is he terrible? No. Do I wish we had someone better? Yeah. But I really wish we had our QB back because we were really good when we had him.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

stuckinbig10country wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:
Gunk wrote:
Yes. Until he becomes a hot head coaching candidate or someone I view as the best next BYU HC, I would go with good not great. I still think he might be the best realistically available OC for BYU at this time.

I would disagree with this. The OC doesn't have to be LDS. If we are comfortable with a revolving door at that position (ie changing every 2 or 3 years because they move on to a bigger program or HC position), then there are plenty of better options.

Is he terrible? No. Do I wish we had someone better? Yeah. But I really wish we had our QB back because we were really good when we had him.
What exactly was it that you disagree with. Gunk asked if my comment that we do not have GREAT assistant coaches includes Anae. He asked because I think Anae is good, solid, not GREAT. I will label him great when P5 programs start courting him or when I start viewing him as the next BYU head coach. He is good. He is not great.

What did you disagree with?

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

stuckinbig10country wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:
Gunk wrote:

But this is exactly part of the problem. The All hail Taysom Hill approach got him injured and for the most part tanked this team. It was UNSUSTAINABLE--period!! His speed and agility should have been used to help him escape with the means of finding a receiver downfield. Anae's version of Run Taysom, Run killed the guy which then killed the system. How long is it going to take Anae and THill to figure out that if your run you die??
Signed, RGIII.
In other words, if you really want your Qb back, you have to forfeit some of the upsides of his. Ability to run. Figure out the fricken passing game! Get a TE! Use screens w heavy rush! Run smartly, like Stwart, like Russell Wilson--it can be done! And wow, look what happened when ANAE relied upon Lasike and Brown--they actually stepped up, fired up, etc. so did JW. But if a team believe that THill will save us, why do the others need to step up?
Better figure it out, ANAE. And you too THill. Or you ain't gonna do squat as a fifth round pro who can't run near as fast as he used to with a third season ending injury in 2015 (assuming he even comes back).

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

When Anae relied on Williams, Hine, Brown, and our Rugby playing fullback,

Williams sprained both ankles whole hobbling around on a sprained knee after he got off suspension. JW, rated himself at 85% yesterday.

Hine got a high ankle sprain. He has been out a few weeks, but is expected back Vs MTSU.

Brown got the worst sprain. There are rumors that he is done for the season. He is definitely still out vs MTSU.

And our fullback was seen getting his thigh attended to vs Nevada over on the sidelines, and was used more sparingly than usual vs Boise State.

It is football.

Having said that, Hill (assuming he returns healthy enough to play next year) and CStew both need to become a threat to throw over the top with accuracy, and that will open up everything else.

Last edited by Cougarbib on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stgeorgefan
Senior

Post by stgeorgefan »

I really believe we've missed the boat here thinking the D-lineman and D-Line coach are to blame.

My biggest worry before the season(and I mentioned it here) was linebacker.

The linebackers IMO are the biggest problem with this defense. SOOO many good LB's graduated last year and we had very few experienced guys coming into this season.

Byu's Dline as mentioned is all about stuffing the run and letting the linebackers make the tackles. It's how it's designed and our run D this year(DL) has done a decent job.

Our Linebacker blitz's are working; KVN is long gone getting 1 v 1 pressure. This has let the opposing QB have to much time to pass-give a qb tons of time and ANY WR will get open regardless of the DB.
The sideline to sideline speed of Hadley, Unga, KVN is gone. Guys are killing us on the edge( DB gets blocked by WR and linebackers are to slow to get over)
When teams run up the middle on us its up to the LB's to clog the holes. Usually you have an extra blocker on O when running, its up to the LB to make the tackle.
Who are the leading tacklers on our defense right now(usually a MLB) It's out safeties. Heck Povey is 2nd in tackles. Our LB's aren't doing their jobs and the safeties are left to stop the run from going the distance.

I don't think it's a coaching issue either. Byu's aka Bronco's defense has proven itself to be effective. We are VERY inexperienced and not as talented at LB. To me it starts there.