Your Child's Education: UVU or UofU

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
jadesroom
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Your Child's Education: UVU or UofU

Post by jadesroom »

For an undergraduate does either matter, or is BYU-I just as good?

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Your Child's Education: UVU or UofU

Post by byufan4ever »

I would say that it totally depends on the degree, costs (scholarship?), and location. It could be a differnt answer for each child and situation. I'm partial to BYU-I because that's where I went and I feel that I got a good education (Business Management degree) and it has the same brand as BYU Provo without being quite as academically challenging. For my first job the company required a 3.5 GPA and my manager kept telling everybody that I went to BYU in Utah and I eventually stopped correcting him. :D I might not have gotten a 3.5 at BYU Provo but the name recognition probably helped me get that first job with a large global company.

And as much as it would break my heart from a sports perspective if my child received a full ride scholarship to the U of U for a program that they are best in state in it would be hard to tell him/her that they couldn't go there because of my sports fandom.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

BYU-I seems miserable. UVU is not a bad school. Neither is Utah State.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

U of U is going to have a much better network for finding a job after school. UVU and BYU-I are making strides, but aren't close yet in that front.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

Mars wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:26 pm BYU-I seems miserable. UVU is not a bad school. Neither is Utah State.
I'm not following you here - how does BYU Idaho "seem miserable"? (whatever that means)

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

ABYUFAN wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:15 pm
Mars wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:26 pm BYU-I seems miserable. UVU is not a bad school. Neither is Utah State.
I'm not following you here - how does BYU Idaho "seem miserable"? (whatever that means)
Miserable as in the opposite of enjoyable. Much stricter than BYU with a much smaller town and much harsher, colder weather and no football. See also: Awful, terrible, no good.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

Mars wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:06 pm
Miserable as in the opposite of enjoyable. Much stricter than BYU with a much smaller town and much harsher, colder weather and no football. See also: Awful, terrible, no good.
And you've been there and witnessed this or are you just parroting a popular counter-culture theme? Because my experience is quite the opposite.

jadesroom
Freshman

Post by jadesroom »

ABYUFAN wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:50 am
And you've been there and witnessed this or are you just parroting a popular counter-culture theme? Because my experience is quite the opposite.
My wife attended BYU-I. When I would visit her when we were dating, I was surprised at how enjoyable I found the area. The lack of intercollegiate athletics is a definite negative, but the cold weather can be offset if you're lucky enough to attend the summer and fall sessions.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

It's not cold?

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

Mars wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:28 pm
It's not cold?
It's enjoyably cold.