Your Child's Education: UVU or UofU

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Your Child's Education: UVU or UofU

Post by snoscythe »

ABYUFAN wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:29 pm[Rexburg]'s enjoyably cold.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by jvquarterback »

If my kids don't get into BYU I'll probably recommend CSUMB which is a 15 minute commute. I could see UVU or BYU-I as decent options. I'd rather my kids go to any of the UC schools than UU though I'd have to sit down with them and review the ROI for each school.

Depends on aspirations. If they want to be a teacher, I'll try to dissuade them, but if that doesn't work I'll tell them to go the cheapest route available. If they are aiming for a professional school I'll tell them to go somewhere they can get good grades and focus on whatever test they need to take. If they want medicine I'll recommend they go somewhere they can do some research.

Most college degrees are useless apart from signalling to an employer you can deal favorably with bureaucracy. Engineering, Accounting, statistics, CS, maybe finance. Can't think of many useful degrees these days. Even stats and CS are probably better learned on your own. They could take plumbing or welding at the CC down the street and be better off than just about any degree at a 4 year school. If they aren't doing something like that I'd recommend the entrepreneurial degree.

If all else fails I'll tell them to be a leach and work for the government. At least then someone I know will be getting all the money they're taking from me (just finishing my taxes, sorry).

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

I've got nephews, nieces and cousins at BYU-I or graduated in the last 5 years. All of them went in with Mars attitude, all of them ended up loving it there.
If you're looking for connections, uofu probably better, but the social life at BYUi seems much better than all the above from what I've heard of people who transfered to BYUi from USU, uofu and UVU. anectodal evidence, but it's all I've got.
I personally think I'd have enjoyed BYUi more than provo.

PS, I think what JVQ mentioned above is spot on regarding education.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

If my children aren't able to get into BYU Provo, BYU-I is a decent option. I don't live in Utah, so would not encourage them to apply to Utah schools. There are good/better state schools here.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Gunk wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:55 pm If my children aren't able to get into BYU Provo, BYU-I is a decent option. I don't live in Utah, so would not encourage them to apply to Utah schools. There are good/better state schools here.
I agree. BYU was just rated as the best value school in the country; I have to believe that BYUi would rank higher in that category than out of state tuition for UVU or UofU.

I'm glad to hear the positive experiences about BYUi. The only thing I really knew were the tropes repeated here, the mild resentment I felt at having the value of my BYU degree diluted with the rebranding of Ricks, and stories from two different people--one in his 40s and one in his early 20s--about roommates sleeping with their GFs.

But my oldest son, now a HS soph, has the horses to get in to BYU, but not the drive to get the GPA needed. BYUi may be a good option for him; we'll be going out to visit on our drive West this summer.

Southern Virginia University is another good option for liberal arts (take that for what it's worth).

Ultimately, though, the thing that matters most in terms of branding is your terminal degree. And unless they're going into something like CS, they're most likely going to need a graduate degree. That's when it matters; only then should they consider paying tuition higher than a church school, because that's when it will have a higher ROI.

But as for the specific question of the OP, I don't have enough information to answer the question. The U is a better school, but there is an overt anti-church stain to the school; on the plus side, there's also a very strong institute. My sense is that UVU is an up-and-comer for those who live nearby. There had been a sense that it was a magnet for kids who didn't qualify academically or ecclesastically but whose parents wanted them to go to be close to BYU--kind of the fallacy of sending a kid on a mission to straighten them out. I don't know how true any of that is anymore, though.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK