The "Mormon Moment" is officially over.

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

The "Mormon Moment" is officially over.

Post by snoscythe »

Stop using the word "Mormon" unless you're talking about the Book of Mormon, a person named Mormon, or historical expressions like "Mormon Trail".

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/ ... the-church

Knew this was coming once Elder Nelson became President Nelson. Here's his conference talk from 20 years ago on the same topic:

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... d?lang=eng

I guess Mormon.org will start redirecting to membersofthechurchofjesuschristoflatterdaysaints.org and Desert Book will run a recall to repackage DVDs with the new title "Meet the Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints".

Mars
Retired

Re: The "Mormon Moment" is officially over.

Post by Mars »

I, for one, am excited about the rebranding of The Church Tabernacle Choir.

Also, I laughed that this info was tweeted out by Mormon Newsroom.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

This is a big whatever from me.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

A big whatever from me as well but if I have to sit through an hour+ of stake training this Sat about using the new terms I'm gonna be a little upset. They've already chastised us about using the word "challenge" so now we have to say "I exhort you to do your ministering."

I seriously never had such focus on such small things in the Church (of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint) before moving to Utah...

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

byufan4ever wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:27 am A big whatever from me as well but if I have to sit through an hour+ of stake training this Sat about using the new terms I'm gonna be a little upset. They've already chastised us about using the word "challenge" so now we have to say "I exhort you to do your ministering."

I seriously never had such focus on such small things in the Church (of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint) before moving to Utah...
I find the church in Utah to be the most untrue of all churches I've attended. ;)
Seriously tho, I don't like attending church in Utah.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

I guess I have a different view on it. I like the changes. It is a reminder for me to be a little bolder, and recognize that it is Jesus Christ's restored Church. I shouldn't shy away from that fact when talking about it with others, but I realize others have a different feeling about it.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

The best part of the announcement are the counter culture people in Utah making such a big deal over it, and refusing to call the church what is requested to be called. I've seen gay people get upset at members of the church who call them "same-sex attracted" rather than gay, and make a big deal about it. I'm interested to see if these folks call the church whatever they want to and ignore the churches wishes.

I'm also thinking of the SLTrib also and how they will utterly refused the churches wish. It'd be like the black community requesting to the Trib "we no longer want to be called black - but be called African Americans" and the Trib says - "we're gonna call you whatever we want - so there!"

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

ABYUFAN wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:07 pm The best part of the announcement are the counter culture people in Utah making such a big deal over it, and refusing to call the church what is requested to be called. I've seen gay people get upset at members of the church who call them "same-sex attracted" rather than gay, and make a big deal about it. I'm interested to see if these folks call the church whatever they want to and ignore the churches wishes.

I'm also thinking of the SLTrib also and how they will utterly refused the churches wish. It'd be like the black community requesting to the Trib "we no longer want to be called black - but be called African Americans" and the Trib says - "we're gonna call you whatever we want - so there!"
I have got to give the Trib some props, they tweeted this today:

Used the full form of the name.

uncoug
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by uncoug »

When people ask me what I am, I say Mormon. I don't want to be called a member of a mouthful of words. I know, I'm a heretic and I'm good with that. I am Mormon for good and for bad. The older I get the less I like stupid little things like this when the church is facing real problems of millennials and older generations jumping ship. I am sure we all have seen friends, family, and ward members leave more often than in the past.

As to the whole prop 2 issue, I am against it because I live in Colorado. I want everyone in Utah who comes to purchase medical and recreational marijuana to pay our state taxes on it. If Utah legalizes it, then we will have to make up the shortfall. As far as usage, if you need herbs to medicate for legitimate and illegitimate reasons "And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man".

BTW, I don't post much and am not a troll. I just am that far out Mormon who accepts all and could care less what others think of him. I have found that once I decided it was easier to be me vs what I thought the Church wanted me to be then I stopped being depressed. I am always find it funny when people realize you can be a happy Mormon Liberal who is also Straight Edge.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

In regards to the name of the Church:
I like this name that was given as an alternative for use - "The Restored Church of Jesus Christ". There is a lot of meaning there, and for me it doesn't feel as cumbersome.

Also, when referencing the actual name of the church, it makes a lot of sense to ensure Christ's name is still in there.

In regards to members of the Church:
I think a lot of people may not have fully read the full reference guide that the church put out there. This is a direct quote:
"When referring to Church members, the terms “members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints” or “Latter-day Saints” are preferred. We ask that the term “Mormons” not be used."

So if people ask you about your religion/faith, a great answer is to say you are a Latter-day Saint. That is really not that cumbersome to say. It may take some explanation to whoever you are talking to, but that would actually be a good opportunity to talk about the faith.